Academy Awards for 2014

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Burning Question: Will Mandela Death Give 'Mandela' Movie Awards Season Boost?

<In that order? OK, here goes: Possibly, probably not, yes, and not likely.

Let&#8217;s start with the marketing. According to sources at Miramax, the studio behind "Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom," there have been no immediate changes to the current PR campaign, which centers around a previously arranged talent press junket in New York next week.

"Release plans at the moment are remaining the same," the studio source tells Yahoo Movies. "There's a chance they may change, but for the moment we're still keeping it limited and will go with a wide release on Christmas Day.

"The producers and director haven't made any decisions yet on adding in memoriam messages or the like to the credits; they were actually all at the London premiere of the film last night when the news broke so I think everyone is still absorbing [the news]."

[Related: Nelson Mandela Death Rocks Royal Film Premiere in London]

That said, don't be shocked if you see more people in line to see the movie once it opens.

"Sadly for anyone that dies, it's never a good time, but honestly, the timing couldn't be better for the Weinstein Co.," says Jeff Bock of the box-office analysis firm Exhibitor Relations. "Mandela's passing is about as timely as it gets for its film release. ... It's just sort of a strange occurrence, no doubt one that will certainly pad the bottom line, though."

As for Oscar chances, well, don't be shocked if there's some sort of tribute at the ceremony on March 2. But little golden statues? Not necessarily. Oscar loves, loves, loves a good biopic, as evidenced by "Schindler&#8217;s List," "Ray," "The King&#8217;s Speech" and countless other movies whose actors or producers have picked up Academy Awards.
>

~~~
How to say this respectfully.

Nelson Mandela was a great man-a rare individual. It is right that his life should be immortalized in film.

I would expect Mandela's death to be a factor with those who vote.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, not to be insensitive but I'm sure a producer or two cracked a smile knowing the Madiba's death would earn him more cash.

That's what I was thinking, not to be insensitive but I'm sure a producer or two cracked a smile knowing the Madiba's death would earn him more cash.

? Either the Golden Globes or the SAG awards seemed to have overlooked, for lack of a better term, this film.

I would think the academy would honor it in some way.

I can't keep up with films. '12 Years a Slave'--that seems to be a frontrunner.

Forum List

Back