"A West Virginian"

froggy

Gold Member
Reaction score
I ran across this and was checking to see if someone from W. Va. could confirm it.

Only a West Virginian knows the difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit, and that you don't HAVE them, you PITCH them.
_____
Only a West virginian knows how many fish, greens, peas, beans, etc., make up a "mess."
____
Only a West Virginian can show or point out to you the general direction of "yonder."
_____
Only a West Virginian knows exactly how long "directly" is -- as in: Going to town, be back directly.
_____
Even West Virginian babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request for the white, granular, sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in the middle of the table.
_____
All West virginians know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use the term, but they know the concept well.
____
Only a West virginian knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they also know to add a large banana puddin'!
_____
Only West virginians grow up knowing the difference between a "right near" and a "right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be one mile or 20.
_____
Only a West virginian knows and understands, the difference between a "redneck," and a "good ol' boy'.
_____
No true West Virginian would ever assume that the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to make a turn.
_____
A West Virginian knows that "fixin'" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an adverb.
_____
Only West Virginians make friends while standing in lines. We don't do queues, we do lines, and when we're in line, we talk to ever'body!
_____
Put 100 West Virginians in a room and half of them will discover they're related, even if only by marriage.
_____
West Virginians never refer to one person as "ya'll."
____
West Virginians knows Cornbread comes from corn and how to eat it.
_____
Every West Virginian knows potatoes with eggs, bacon, pork, venison, and coffee are perfectly wonderful; and that fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food
_____
When you hear someone say, "I was fishin down by the crick" you know you are in the presence of a West Virginian.
_____
Only true West Virginians say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea unsweetened. Sweet milk means you don't want buttermilk.
_____
And a true West Virginians knows you don't scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 mph on the freeway. You just say, "Bless her heart" and go your own way.
_____
To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your West Virginian accent, take a ride on our mountain roads and say a prayer for your safety. Bless your heart!
_____
And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding all this West Virginia stuff, bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to have classes on Hillbilly as a second language!
_____
And for those who are not from West Virginia but have lived here for a long time, you'll need a sign to hang on your front porch that reads: "I ain't from West Virginia, but I got here as fast as I could!"
Almost Heaven!!!
And those that are from West Virginia and living away "Take me home, country Roads"
_____
Bless your hearts, ya'all have a blessed day!!

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN86d0CdgHQ]YouTube - John Denver - Country Roads[/ame]

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I am originally from West Virginia. But I don't live there now

uscitizen

Reaction score
We eastern Kentucky hillbillies know all that stuff. Doesn't everyone?

That was a purty fair post

Sweet teat is popular in NC as well. I have lived there too, OH, PA, FL, OR, TX and maybe a place or two I forgot.

Last edited:

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Reaction score
I know a few people from Kentucky, Tennessee, southern Ohio, and Georgia who resemble most of those remarks.

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was not born there but adopted the hillbilly twang from my parents, we moved a lot when I was young and moved to WV when I was 10. It was pretty much downhill from there :lol:

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List