A tale of two high schools and their football teams.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I won't name the high schools but they are both prominent high schools in my city . School A is a large "Magnet" school that gets a fair amount of funding for academics but not a lot for sports. It is a public school with no tuition. The football team has sucked forever. How can that be when their enrollment is nearly 3000 students? Surely with such a large student body there has to be a few studs!

Enter School B. A prestigious private high school that charges ten THOUSAND per year tuition. And from what I know that is not nearly all the costs associated with attending. They average about 1200 students total. Yet they rack up championship after championship by getting the best football players in the city to go there, often from School A's district. But how do these kids pay the tuition? It's not a wealthy district at all. Ah that is because School B has scholarships for 'needy' students. Especially if those needy students weight 200 pounds and can run a 4.5 second 40 yard dash.

They never admit to offering "athletic" scholarships but everyone knows that if a kid is a top football player they are headed to School B and they won't pay a dime for school. So what say you? No problem? Not right? I say be honest about recruiting athletes and paying their way and stop hiding behind the "Needy" requirement. Because their are tons of needy students here that will never get a chance to attend School B.

Forum List

Back