A man going for a jog found this baby bird ...

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
I've rehabbed dozens like this. I'm licensed for song birds but don't rehab them anymore.

If you find a baby bird, the rule is this -

If they're naked like this little guy, try to find his nest. If its too high, put him in a margarine container nailed to the tree. Watch closely because he'll call and his parent may well come to care for him. If they don't come within about 20 minutes, you need to find a rehabber. Call you local game and fish or conservation office or humane society or animal control to find one in your area or search on line.

FIND A REHABILITATOR
http://www.nwrawildlife.org/content/finding-rehabilitator

Later on in the season, you may find baby birds that look like they have most or all of their feathers but they're on the ground and not flying. Leave them alone. They're doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing. Watch from inside or away from them and you might get to see mom or dad swoop down to feed them and then go right back up in the trees. If you want, you can move the baby to a bush or the crook of a tree but be aware that you are stressing him and probably overheating him. Best to leave then alone.

Its not true that adult birds won't care for a baby that's been handled. Except for the vulture, birds have a lousy sense of smell. The adults see that gaping mouth and just start feeding.

Also, be aware that the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 makes it illegal to have wild birds unless you hold a federal license.

Thanks for this link. Nice to see.

A veterinarian was jogging one day when he stumbled upon this tiny freshly hatched songbird that had fallen out of its nest. Unable to locate the nest so he could return the baby bird to it, he decided to take it home and hand raise it himself.

Here is the amazingly beautiful story:

A Man Going For A Jog Found This Baby Bird. This Is What Happened Next... - The Meta Picture

Awwwww!!! Pretty amazing, must-see pictures.

What a neat story.....lucky bird.

Forum List

Back