A convicted felon can run for president but they are not allowed to vote

It’s one of the most preposterous things in American politics that a CONVICTED FELON can hold the NUCLEAR CODES and therefore has the potential to cause mass destruction and death but he can’t vote.

If the people want to elect a convicted felon like the Unabomber or Soros to office, who are we to say they shouldn't be allowed to?

But the problem is in electoral integrity. If such an individual were elected, the election needs to be on the up and up. Nowadays, a large number of Americans have no confidence that elections are legit, as the manufacturers refuse to address the questions. Maybe they are legit, but they should be happy to be transparent.

well I agree transparently should be the hallmark for good governance in aspects, that is from the electoral process to actual governing.
Recent law suits launched by Smartmatic and Dominion should give us that goal.

My post on this subject was a bit rushed but my point was that convicted felons while incarcerated as of August 2020 in 48 states can not vote yet even from prison a person can run for Congress or the presidency . IF YOU CAN’T VOTE FROM PRISON why should you have the opportunity to hold the highest office in the land?

You have this backwards.
Why is anyone denied the right to vote?
That is what is wrong, not that we should restrict who can run for office more.
All citizens should be allowed to vote, including ex-felons and current inmates.
If you pay taxes, you had better be allowed to vote and run for office.
Any and all restrictions are wrong, arbitrary, and contrary to a democratic republic.
That is how Russia disenfranchises dissidents.

It’s one of the most preposterous things in American politics that a CONVICTED FELON can hold the NUCLEAR CODES and therefore has the potential to cause mass destruction and death but he can’t vote.
As long as their fines are paid and the case is closed then they should be able to vote.
We are able to vote. The thread is major misinformation

Not in most states, and it usually requires some legal expense.
All people who pay taxes should automatically be able to vote.

You're uninformed. I am a convicted felon and I legally vote.

There are still states that prohibit it, any require a fine be paid after release. Many prohibit util both parole and probation is satisfied. But as I mentioned to another poster my point goes more to those still incarcerated. I agree if you’ve paid your debt to society then you should have your rights restored.

Might you be a leftist?

To your question regarding my political affinity , I really liked JOHN McCain . Thought he was a real leader and a decent man. I vote for the individual based on their character.

People in prison should not be allowed to vote. That is ridiculous

People in prison have to pay taxes if they have an income, like stocks or property income, so then they must be allowed to vote.

If you do not allow people in prison to vote, all you have done is provide an incentive and means for an authoritarian government to take over.

As long as their fines are paid and the case is closed then they should be able to vote.
It looks like there are some states were you have to either jump through hoops or certain offenses disqualify you.

People in prison have to pay taxes if they have an income, like stocks or property income, so then they must be allowed to vote.

If you do not allow people in prison to vote, all you have done is provide an incentive and means for an authoritarian government to take over.
I disagree 100%

Also when did they tie voting to taxes? Are we going to also revert back to only property owners voting.

When I committed the crimes I did I forfeit many of my rights.

It looks like there are some states were you have to either jump through hoops or certain offenses disqualify you.
Those are state issues. We still believe in state sovereignty right?

So Trump can still run in 2024 is what you're saying?
I don’t care if it’s Donald trump or Donald Duck and person who is incarcerated has been deemed by a jury of his or her peers to be such that they are not worthy to be free agent. Given that person the NUCLEAR CODES DOESNT SEEM CONSISTENT WITH SOCIETIES INTEREST IN INCARCERATING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

If the people want to elect a convicted felon like the Unabomber or Soros to office, who are we to say they shouldn't be allowed to?

But the problem is in electoral integrity. If such an individual were elected, the election needs to be on the up and up. Nowadays, a large number of Americans have no confidence that elections are legit, as the manufacturers refuse to address the questions. Maybe they are legit, but they should be happy to be transparent.
Yes, Soros! Always the evil Soros. One link below although I can't find any evidence of him ever being a felon...

Those are state issues. We still believe in state sovereignty right?
Yep. At least right up until my favorite 9th amendment.

It looks like the push is on for the federal government. Stacey Abrams backs federal protection as Georgia election bills draw more criticism

I don’t care if it’s Donald trump or Donald Duck and person who is incarcerated has been deemed by a jury of his or her peers to be such that they are not worthy to be free agent. Given that person the NUCLEAR CODES DOESNT SEEM CONSISTENT WITH SOCIETIES INTEREST IN INCARCERATING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I mean , We don’t refer to prisons as a penal institution any more . It’s a correctional facility. That implies that society feels a corrective measure concerning ones behavior is warranted. Thus the necessary removal of that individual from society is in societies best interest and hopefully the redemption of that will result. Notice that while incarcerated that redemption hasn’t yet occurred. So how is it in societies BEST INTEREST to give the NUCLEAR CODES TO THAT INDIVIDUAL?

It is more basic than that. Voting is considered a fundamental right. The Supreme Court has already ruled that you can't deny fundamental rights to incarcerated people (marriage being that fundamental right). Voting, like marriage, should be a right you never lose.

I thought having a felony disqualified you from becoming President.
No it doesn’t. And perhaps if a person who has been convicted and paid their debt to society, then their rights should be fully restored. I’m talking about people still incarcerated , how can society give that person the NUCLEAR CODES as POTUS would have?

It is more basic than that. Voting is considered a fundamental right. The Supreme Court has already ruled that you can't deny fundamental rights to incarcerated people (marriage being that fundamental right). Voting, like marriage, should be a right you never lose.
So why is having the ability to launch a nuclear strike from prison a FUNDAMENTAL RIGHT?

I thought having a felony disqualified you from becoming President.
No it doesn’t. And perhaps if a person who has been convicted and paid their debt to society, then their rights should be fully restored. I’m talking about people still incarcerated , how can society give that person the NUCLEAR CODES as POTUS would have?

It isn't an issue we need to be concerned about...unless a bunch of former Trump officials plan on running. :lol:

They shouldn't be allowed to hold office either....

But then again, since the libs are so corrupt and have been abusing law enforcement, falsifying testimony, and manufacturing fake evidence on trumped up charges, taking away one's right to even run if convicted or harassed into copping on these fake charges would be the inevitable result if we outlawed felons from running for office...but then again that could be your goal.

But then again, since the libs are so corrupt and have been abusing law enforcement, falsifying testimony, and manufacturing fake evidence on trumped up charges, taking away one's right to even run if convicted or harassed into copping on these fake charges would be the inevitable result if we outlawed felons from running for office...but then again that could be your goal.
Yeah, really. You would think there would be plenty of good, non felons out there, willing to run. Then again, Jean Valjean turned out pretty good.

Also a person who could never get a TS clearance can be president or be a chairperson on an congressional intelligence committee.
These are rules that are in place for a reason.
Democrats for the most part are communists.....and they don't want our nation to be secure.
They also made sure that the SCOTUS wouldn't address securing our elections....so they could get any butthead elected.
Well I think if your a convicted felon and regardless of whether your incarcerated or not, a top security status is something you shouldn’t have, yet as potus I think he would have one since potus decided who gets one and who doesn’t. So how exactly did the communist democrats pull this one off?

So you would be okay with CHARLES MANSION being president from prison if he were still alive?
At what point are you willing to put AMERICA FIRST?

Forum List

Back