A bitch in heat....

Female is the black in the back. For as ornery and wild as they are, they have my heart for sure.

HEATHENS.jpg

We now have a couple of pups added to the chaos. They are brother/sister and now about 5 months old. We do plan to have them both fixed, but not until about a year old. From what I understand, delaying spay/neuter a few months is a better health option for larger breeds. These pups are pitbulls.

Anyway, I've only had males in the past so I really have no idea about females going thru heat cycles. From what I have read, it usually happens somewhere between 6 to 24 months. Larger breeds are a bit later, but also it depends on the specific dog. Yes, I know they lick themselves alot, become swollen, discharge with possible blood and rub against everything...........that all being said, I don't think she's ready just yet, but I want to take a proactive course with this to prevent any unwanted surprise litters.....especially between siblings. Not a good thing.

I see they have doggie diapers and seems to be the best option for us cause I'm not locking her up for a month at a time for no fault of her own and it's just not possible anyway. Does anyone here have any experience with female pups, diapers, etc to share so I know what I'm up against???

PS.......sorry for the thread title, but needed an attention getter or it would be lost in the election threads

My dog was a mixed greyhound retriever, she was fixed at 4 months, she lived to be 19 which is really long for large breeds. We got her from our vet who fixed her.
I'ce had dogs all my life, some really great dogs, but she was exceptional and the best in every way.Not putting down the others as they were good too, just stating a fact.

My dog was a mixed greyhound retriever, she was fixed at 4 months, she lived to be 19 which is really long for large breeds. We got her from our vet who fixed her.
I'ce had dogs all my life, some really great dogs, but she was exceptional and the best in every way.Not putting down the others as they were good too, just stating a fact.

Her appointment was yesterday and now is doing really well. The meds they gave her yesterday had her really drugged up all night. She is supposed to wear the cone, but she won't lift her head with it on and just scrapes along so for now I took it off, but keeping an eye on her so she doesn't lick herself too much.

Yes, 19 is a long life for most any dog, especially a large breed. My oldest son had a pit that was 15 and we thought that was unusual.

Her appointment was yesterday and now is doing really well. The meds they gave her yesterday had her really drugged up all night. She is supposed to wear the cone, but she won't lift her head with it on and just scrapes along so for now I took it off, but keeping an eye on her so she doesn't lick herself too much.

Yes, 19 is a long life for most any dog, especially a large breed. My oldest son had a pit that was 15 and we thought that was unusual.

Glad she is doing ok, and fixed, so many unwanted animals now. I know your glad too.

We now have a couple of pups added to the chaos. They are brother/sister and now about 5 months old. We do plan to have them both fixed, but not until about a year old. From what I understand, delaying spay/neuter a few months is a better health option for larger breeds. These pups are pitbulls.

Anyway, I've only had males in the past so I really have no idea about females going thru heat cycles. From what I have read, it usually happens somewhere between 6 to 24 months. Larger breeds are a bit later, but also it depends on the specific dog. Yes, I know they lick themselves alot, become swollen, discharge with possible blood and rub against everything...........that all being said, I don't think she's ready just yet, but I want to take a proactive course with this to prevent any unwanted surprise litters.....especially between siblings. Not a good thing.

I see they have doggie diapers and seems to be the best option for us cause I'm not locking her up for a month at a time for no fault of her own and it's just not possible anyway. Does anyone here have any experience with female pups, diapers, etc to share so I know what I'm up against???

PS.......sorry for the thread title, but needed an attention getter or it would be lost in the election threads
Diapers and cages.

Forum List

Back