$750 Billion

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
  • Due to a lack of testing, we have no idea how far and how wide C-19 has spread.
  • It takes 14 days of quarantine to eliminate C-19
If everyone, and I mean everyone, stayed home for 30 days, that should halt the spread of C-19.

So I thought I would look up how much we collectively earn in wages/salaries each year, and then divide that by 12.

Total wages and salaries, BLS

In 2018, we earned $8.367 trillion. Looking at the slope of the curve, I am going to guestimate $9.0 trillion for 2020.

That would bring the monthly earnings to $750 billion.

Here's my government stimulus/bailout idea: Everybody stays home and still gets paid. Cost: $750 billion.

As I was surfing around looking this stuff up, I found I am not the only one thinking this way.

Billionaire activist investor Bill Ackman calls on Trump to 'shut down' the U.S. for the next 30 days

We don't and won't know how far it has spread because people with a few mild or no symptoms won't get tested.
We don't know how far and wide it has spread because people CAN'T get tested.

My local urgent care still has no idea where to send swabs to be tested for coronavirus. They are sending swabs to the largest area hospital, but still no results since that hospital doesn't have test kits either.

We don't and won't know how far it has spread because people with a few mild or no symptoms won't get tested.

Good job of buying into the panic, asswipe.

People won't get tested? Jesus Christ, is this the new wingnut talking point?

One month, and this could all be over.

Sounds interesting and mostly feasible. I think if every person who could stay home did there would still be some amount of spread. Healthcare workers and others who have to continue to go outside. You also have people like those you find here on this board who aren't going to abide by this and will jeopardize others. Also, we have the outside world to contend with as they most likely wouldn't be following this protocol. Given that within our borders I think this would do quite a bit to dampen the virus.

Sounds interesting and mostly feasible. I think if every person who could stay home did there would still be some amount of spread. Healthcare workers and others who have to continue to go outside. You also have people like those you find here on this board who aren't going to abide by this and will jeopardize others. Also, we have the outside world to contend with as they most likely wouldn't be following this protocol. Given that within our borders I think this would do quite a bit to dampen the virus.
There would still be some spread, but the bell curve would be on the downslope and we'd be able to contain it.

One month. Time to get a few million test kits distributed and get the bell curve moving in the right direction.

This could be all over.

There would still be some spread, but the bell curve would be on the downslope and we'd be able to contain it.

Yep, I mostly agree.

You're now going to be called a communist (again) by all the wrong people.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good "cheap" solution and at the same time would help lessen the well of whatever recession this creates.

Yep, I mostly agree.

You're now going to be called a communist (again) by all the wrong people.
Well, if America had done what I have been saying all these years, we'd actually have a budget surplus which could easily absorb this hit.

Oh well...

You pass more strains of sexual diseases then all of the diseases in the past and you get insulting again. There were calls to round up people with HIV/Aids in the 1980's. Would you have agreed to that?

Trump holds 4th presser in as many days....lets hear from him....not G5ooo

You pass more strains of sexual diseases then all of the diseases in the past and you get insulting again. There were calls to round up people with HIV/Aids in the 1980's. Would you have agreed to that?
Wow. That went right over your head. :lol:

Every time Trump talks, the market dives. Let's not hear from Trump any more until this crisis has passed and he takes unwarranted credit.

The catch is we'd have to seal our borders ... as soon as the month was up, first person to come into the USA with the virus would start the process all over again ... this needs to be allowed to run it's course, we're still a long ways from a normal infection and death rates as we are with the typical flu season ... as soon as the Olympics are over, the pandemic will cease, just like the Zika virus in 2016 ...

$750 billion is no small amount of money ... do we raise taxes on the Middle Class or just add it to our debt? ...

The point about not getting tested is a good one ... healthy people may not even know they are infected ... one morning we would wake up with the "blahs" and be over it in a few days never realizing we could be infected with this new and horrible deadly killer virus ...

Every time Trump talks, the market dives. Let's not hear from Trump any more until this crisis has passed and he takes unwarranted credit.
The truth is scary but that does not mean you keep it from people...would you prefer he lies and covers up like Obama and the dems do?....

The catch is we'd have to seal our borders ... as soon as the month was up, first person to come into the USA with the virus would start the process all over again ... this needs to be allowed to run it's course, we're still a long ways from a normal infection and death rates as we are with the typical flu season ... as soon as the Olympics are over, the pandemic will cease, just like the Zika virus in 2016 ...

$750 billion is no small amount of money ... do we raise taxes on the Middle Class or just add it to our debt? ...
Quarantine works. It has worked incredibly well in China.

The point is to get the curve pointing downward. No one is suggesting the unrealistic expectation of immediately reducing to zero, except our dumbass naked emperor a couple weeks ago.

The truth is scary but that does not mean you keep it from people...would you prefer he lies and covers up like Obama and the dems do?....
Trump tells the truth!?!? BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

The man could not tell the truth if you pointed a gun to his head.

“Anybody that wants a test can get a test.” - Donald J. Trump

Trump tells the truth!?!? BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

The man could not tell the truth if you pointed a gun to his head.

“Anybody that wants a test can get a test.” - Donald J. Trump
Careful your TDS is showing and we still don't have a vaccine for it....

Forum List

Back