75 years ago Marines gearing up for Iwo Jima

Today is the anniversary, but unfortunately, I don't see the "Sands of Iwo Jima" on the TV schedule for today. I always loved that film, one of John Wayne's greatest and most heroic.
An heroic performance from the draft dodger...
Thought he was to old? At the time? Wasn't the age limit 26?

Actually 26 was close to the average age, iirc. America's population wasn't nearly as large back then, plus there were all the factories to man on top of that. Fortunately, our kill ratios were pretty high, even during the Normandy breakout, which should have been a lot deadlier, but ended up being tolerable.

https://www.quora.com/How-old-were-the-soldiers-during-WW2
In 1968 ,the average Draft age was 19. Sure gave us a break. I avoided the Draft by enlisting. At least I got my CHOICE.

There were a lot of 40 and 50 year old volunteers during WW II. Americans were too affluent and soft by the time Nam rolled around to match the earlier generation. They did, however, perform very well in Nam, depite all the negative Commie leftist and 'libertoon' propaganda that kept the North inspired and on the battlefield.
That was the problem. LBJ just wanted a State of war. Had no intention of WINNING.

Today is the anniversary, but unfortunately, I don't see the "Sands of Iwo Jima" on the TV schedule for today. I always loved that film, one of John Wayne's greatest and most heroic.

Actually 26 was close to the average age, iirc. America's population wasn't nearly as large back then, plus there were all the factories to man on top of that. Fortunately, our kill ratios were pretty high, even during the Normandy breakout, which should have been a lot deadlier, but ended up being tolerable.

In 1968 ,the average Draft age was 19. Sure gave us a break. I avoided the Draft by enlisting. At least I got my CHOICE.

There were a lot of 40 and 50 year old volunteers during WW II. Americans were too affluent and soft by the time Nam rolled around to match the earlier generation. They did, however, perform very well in Nam, depite all the negative Commie leftist and 'libertoon' propaganda that kept the North inspired and on the battlefield.

Of course in 1941, the US unemployment rate was sky high right up until the Japanese pulled a pearl harbor job on us in Honolulu.

A lot of men were out of work and ready for anything after almost 9 years of Roosevelt's Raw Deal.

That was the problem. LBJ just wanted a State of war. Had no intention of WINNING.

Actually LBJ's policies crushed the Viet Cong, in 1968. Nixon failed to follow this up, and instead caved in to the media propaganda and handed the North, i.e. handed the Soviets a peace treaty, which they promptly violated and in 1975 Congressional scum abandoned the South to the Communists.

Of course in 1941, the US unemployment rate was sky high right up until the Japanese pulled a pearl harbor job on us in Honolulu.

A lot of men were out of work and ready for anything after almost 9 years of Roosevelt's Raw Deal.

And of course this mythology is intended to bullshit us into believing the Republicans did something besides hide under their beds and whine, and then fought shutting down Germany earlier, when it would have cost almost nothing compared to what it eventually cost us and Europe. Sorry, but the current fad of FDR bashing is strictly for tards, not serious discussions. The Conspiritard Forum is where that belongs.

And of course this mythology is intended to bullshit us into believing the Republicans did something besides hide under their beds and whine, and then fought shutting down Germany earlier, when it would have cost almost nothing compared to what it eventually cost us and Europe. Sorry, but the current fad of FDR bashing is strictly for tards, not serious discussions. The Conspiritard Forum is where that belongs.

That's not true at all. Back in the 30's, before the war even started, Gen. MacArthur begged FDR not to defund the military and waste the cash on his Raw Deal programs. If America would have had a proper military, Germany would have never have thought to piss us off by conducting the holocaust and WWII would have never occurred. FDR only got hot-to-trot for war after WWII already started in Europe and the US didn't have proper armaments and was still struggling with the Roosevelt Depression. At that point in time, there was little point in obliging the nation to a war as we hadn't been attacked.

Actually LBJ's policies crushed the Viet Cong, in 1968. Nixon failed to follow this up, and instead caved in to the media propaganda and handed the North, i.e. handed the Soviets a peace treaty, which they promptly violated and in 1975 Congressional scum abandoned the South to the Communists.
Were you there? LBJ escalated that war for his own profit. 58000 Americans lost. 2 Million Asians lost. LBJ was a sack of shit. Besides ,he was in on killing JFK.

Yeah ,Right. Filthy Dems accuse Trump of wanting to be "President for Life". That tin plated dictator FDR actually DID become President for Life. It saved the USA when that bastard croaked. Hope he enjoys Hell.

Republicans got drafted while FDR supporters were able to pick up Japanese American property and real estate at cut rate prices when FDR issued executive order 9066. By late fall 1944 democrats knew FDR was dying but they lied to American citizens and ran a virtual corpse for his 4th term. FDR was dead less than three months after his 4th inauguration. His medical records disappeared from a locked safe and the media wasn't interested in pursuing the mystery. The carnage of Iwo Jima was a dim memory after April 12, 1945 when Generals and the Admirals jostled for leadership while timid little Harry Truman became the commander in chief.

Ah, Retardo History pops up yet again. lol this forum needs to be merged with the Conspiritard Forum and removed as a separate forum.

Ah, Retardo History pops up yet again. lol this forum needs to be merged with the Conspiritard Forum and removed as a separate forum.
I wonder if lefties got away with "lol's" and lame invented words like "retardo" when they were challenged by legitimate arguments about history in the 8th grade before they left school.

I wonder if lefties got away with "lol's" and lame invented words like "retardo" when they were challenged by legitimate arguments about history in the 8th grade before they left school.
Made it that far?

Try making one and find out. So far you FDR bashers never get around to doing something resembling that, just post some stupid spin you read from some crank sites.

Try making one and find out. So far you FDR bashers never get around to doing something resembling that, just post some stupid spin you read from some crank sites.
The post is drifting off topic but we will do the FDR thing if you want to. Democrats make much about the fake allegations of collusion today but FDR violated the Constitution in the most basic way. There is no defense for Executive Order 9066. FDR was a sick man and his policies toward the closing of the war and his friendship with "Uncle Joe" Stalin led to Korea and the era of the Cold War. FDR was a dying man who had about two months to live when Marines were ordered to take an island we could have bypassed. Democrats wanted a pushover they could order around so they fired the V.P. and ran a timid little bean counter president in FDR's 4th campaign when they knew he would die. Truman was so timid that he wouldn't even confront the general he appointed to oversee the Korean war until it was too late and we lost anywhere between 35,000 and 50,000 Troops in a three year quagmire that should have been over in a year. Truman couldn't even get enough support in his own party to run for another full term and he dropped out of politics.

You mean like his only putting Democrats on his commie WPA? Or packing the courts? Or interning Japanese citizens and stealing their property? Or being "President for Life"?

Iwo Jima is a sad example of the bad decisions that our military commanders made far too often. There was no vital reason to take Iwo Jima.

An even worse misguided decision was the decision to assault the Shuri Line on Okinawa. We already controlled three-fourths of the island, including the key airfields. The Japanese force was cut off from outside support and running low on water and food. The southern quarter of the island was of no strategic value.

Iwo Jima and Okinawa were needed, this whining and complaining 75 years later is a by apologists and liars I bet most of you complaining claim the atomic bombs were not needed either. That magically Japan wanted to surrender when all they ever offered was a cease fire and return to 41 start lines.

One of the movie stars that seemed to bother combat-GI's particularly when digging in for the night was Reagan. He was in the service but he slept in his own bed every night. Well he could have.
Had a friend in the Ninth Marines and he survived Iwo, and it was the flag raising on Iwo, be it picture or statue, that moved him the most.

One of the movie stars that seemed to bother combat-GI's particularly when digging in for the night was Reagan. He was in the service but he slept in his own bed every night. Well he could have.
Had a friend in the Ninth Marines and he survived Iwo, and it was the flag raising on Iwo, be it picture or statue, that moved him the most.
Ronald Reagan was in a rear area unit he made training films and what are now called propaganda films. He never was in the field Lots of troops were in their own bed at night. We kept like 6 divisions in the States at all times.

Ronald Reagan was in a rear area unit he made training films and what are now called propaganda films. He never was in the field Lots of troops were in their own bed at night. We kept like 6 divisions in the States at all times.

A lot of fellows didn't see combat or even get very close to it during WWII. Men were needed to guard POW's, other men to man artillery bases far from the front, still other units were sent to Alaska to build a highway. Sen. Jesse Helms served honorably as a naval recruiter in NC.

These were all honorable jobs, not everyone was on the front lines.

Forum List

Back