$62k per Year for a Worthless Degree

I took my graduate degrees just as the privatization of public college tuition began but did not accept loans. My GI Bill and graduate fellowships were more than enough to get me through two degree programs. Most anyone who accepts loans should have their heads examined.
If you like living in the desert getting shot at, yea, it's a great plan.
non sequitur

So the guy swallowed the candy and applied for a private college with a degree that is all but worthless. And he blames the college for suckering him into applying.

And, he's not alone. It's estimated that 40 millions Americans owe #1.2 TRILLION in student loans – and most of them will never make enough to pay it back.

And it all comes down to the fact that our entire pre-college education system is designed only to have graduates go on to college.

If you can stomach it, read the story @ I Am the Student Loan Crisis at Its Ugliest: I Graduated and Found Out I’m $200,000 in Debt
I don't agree that all degrees are worthless or that most students take majors that are of no value

But I do find college students are not very good at math. Many pursue majors that require a masters degree yet only pay $40,000

So the guy swallowed the candy and applied for a private college with a degree that is all but worthless. And he blames the college for suckering him into applying.

And, he's not alone. It's estimated that 40 millions Americans owe #1.2 TRILLION in student loans – and most of them will never make enough to pay it back.

And it all comes down to the fact that our entire pre-college education system is designed only to have graduates go on to college.

If you can stomach it, read the story @ I Am the Student Loan Crisis at Its Ugliest: I Graduated and Found Out I’m $200,000 in Debt
I don't agree that all degrees are worthless or that most students take majors that are of no value

But I do find college students are not very good at math. Many pursue majors that require a masters degree yet only pay $40,000
Yup. HVAC students (2 years) can make $80 the first year out of school, and LVNs (1 year) can make 18 to 24 dollars per hour.

I worked with someone whose wife went to a Christian College. She spent five years at $35,000 a year to get a degree in Christ based counseling

She can only be employed at churches who cannot afford to pay more than $25,000 a year

He may be an idiot, but higher education deserves a lot of blame for ripping off students.

No it's his fault and no one else's

If there's a guy selling magic beans on the street corner and you buy them it's your fault not his

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

He may be an idiot, but higher education deserves a lot of blame for ripping off students.

If there's a guy selling magic beans on the street corner and you buy them it's your fault not his

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

Yes, ultimately the 18 or 19 year old is responsible for bad choices

But universities do a better job at helping a student line up financing than they do being honest about career prospects after you graduate

They all hold out a vague promise that your enhanced earnings will more than pay off your debt....in most cases, it doesn't

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

But universities do a better job at helping a student line up financing than they do being honest about career prospects after you graduate

They all hold out a vague promise that your enhanced earnings will more than pay off your debt....in most cases, it doesn't

No school ever promises anyone will make X amount of dollars because of a degree

If you're stupid enough to think spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a degree in underwater basket weaving thinking it will set them up in a fruitful career deserves to be fucking broke

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

No school ever promises anyone will make X amount of dollars because of a degree

If you're stupid enough to think spending tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a degree in underwater basket weaving thinking it will set them up in a fruitful career deserves to be fucking broke

Yes, teenagers should know better
Universities can't be expected to be responsible

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

an 18 year old IS an adult

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

I agree...fuck the little buggers

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

I agree...fuck the little buggers

That's right sooner or fucking later people have to put on their fucking grown up pants

Caveat Emptor

Learn it. Apply it.

WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS?

They had so little sway in his life that they could not at least counsel him on his choices?

At least he got a degree which can help get him on a path to a better career. I know parents of kids that push them into college when they had no business being there. They racked up 50 to $100,000 in debt and dropped out.

Forum List

Back