2016 Obituaries

He died from the flu?

Yeah right.

He was in the hospital a week before for a bad flu. ...they should have kept him longer.
Word out is that he was a drug addict. That makes more sense.

Weasel, we are so used to hearing about musicians dying from drug addictions so I get why you feel the way you do. The word is out this morning that he died from the flu, wouldn't they be able to tell just by the initial blood tests of high amounts of a drug was in his system?
I will be surprised if it was a drug problem.

He died from the flu?

Yeah right.

He was in the hospital a week before for a bad flu. ...they should have kept him longer.
Word out is that he was a drug addict. That makes more sense.

Weasel, we are so used to hearing about musicians dying from drug addictions so I get why you feel the way you do. The word is out this morning that he died from the flu, wouldn't they be able to tell just by the initial blood tests of high amounts of a drug was in his system?
I will be surprised if it was a drug problem.
It was reported by TMZ so I don't know. They said he had been looking frail, the flu doesn't knock you out that fast unless there are underlying health issues. A healthy adult can kick the flu out of their system. There's supposedly an autopsy going down pretty soon so they'll know for sure.

13076593_1132764826782648_4197919377604815904_n.jpg

'No sign' Prince's death was suicide...

Prince death: 'No sign' it was suicide, sheriff says
Fri, 22 Apr 2016 - There is "no reason to believe" that Prince's death was suicide, a sheriff in Minnesota says after a post-mortem which suggests he died alone.
There is "no reason to believe" that Prince's death was suicide, the sheriff of the Minnesota county where the singer had his home has said after a post-mortem examination. There was no sign of trauma on the body, Sheriff Jim Olson said, suggesting the singer had died alone. Prince, 57, was found dead in a lift on his Paisley Park estate on Thursday. Fans have been wearing purple, the colour associated with the musician who sold more than 100m records. His innovative music spanned rock, funk and jazz. He was at his peak in the 1980s with albums like Dirty Mind, 1999 and Sign O' The Times.

The sheriff warned that full results from the post-mortem could take several weeks, and the incident was still under investigation. Mr Olson said it was not unusual for there to be no one in the residence except Prince. The singer was last seen at about 20:00 on Wednesday night (01:00 GMT on Thursday) and was found unconscious by some of his staff at about 09:30 the next morning. Prince had been rushed to hospital in Illinois six days earlier, while flying home from a concert in Georgia, but was treated and released a few hours later.

Samples to be taken

Quoting unnamed sources, US entertainment news site TMZ reports that Prince was treated in Illinois for an overdose of the painkiller drug Percocet. Declining to give details of the preliminary findings, medical examiner spokesperson Martha Weaver said a full set of tests would be done on the body, involving tissue and blood samples. Earlier, she announced that the body would be released to the family on Friday. Sheriff Olson confirmed police were in contact with Prince's family. "We have no reason to believe at this point that this was a suicide," he said, then added, "but again, this is early on in the investigation and we're continuing to investigate."

He spoke of Prince as a good member of the community and said he had been a "friend to [his staff] as well as being an employer". Fans have set up impromptu memorials in his home town Minneapolis and in New York. In London, US President Barack Obama said he and the US ambassador began the day by listening to Prince's hit Purple Rain and Delirious before attending bilateral meetings. Prince had spoken about struggling with childhood epilepsy, the Associated Press reports, and friends say he had hip trouble. His former percussionist, Sheila E, told the news agency Prince had suffered the effects of years of jumping off risers and speakers on stage while wearing high heels. "There was always something kind of bothering him, as it does all of us," she said. "I hurt every single day. You know we're like athletes, we train, and we get hurt all the time. We have so many injuries."

MORE

See also:

Prince’s body showed no signs of trauma; cause of death still unknown
April 22, 2016 : A four-hour autopsy was performed on Prince on Friday, but authorities said they are no closer to determining how the iconic musician died. “It was a meticulous exam,” said Martha Weaver, spokeswoman for the Midwest Medical Examiners Office.
Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson, whose officers responded to a 911 call at Prince’s Paisley Park estate Thursday morning, said the artist’s body showed no signs of trauma. “There was no sign of violence,” Olson said at a Friday afternoon news conference. Nor do investigators have “reason to believe it was suicide,” he said. “The rest of it is under investigation.”

2297bc6c7a17d514960f6a706700b57b.jpg

Flowers lay on a T-shirt signed by fans of singer Prince at a makeshift memorial place created outside Apollo Theater in New York​

Prince Rogers Nelson, 57, was last seen alive at his sprawling compound in Chanhassen, a suburb of Minneapolis, about 8 p.m. Wednesday, the sheriff said. “He had been dropped off there at Paisley Park,” Olson said. Staff members at the estate found the singer unconscious in an elevator on the property at about 9:43 a.m. Thursday. Olson said first responders tried to perform CPR on Prince, but could not revive him. Authorities pronounced him deceased 24 minutes later, but it is not yet known how long he might have been dead.

2016-04-22T064642Z_194436793_GF10000391702_RTRMADP_3_PEOPLE-PRINCE-ESTATE.JPG.cf.jpg

A law enforcement officer and an employee are seen outside of Paisley Park, music superstar Prince's estate in Chanhassen, Minnesota.​

Even though the physical autopsy is finished, officials say it could take several days to weeks before Prince’s manner of death is confirmed and made public. The longest delay will be for the results of toxicology testing. “It will take days and weeks to complete those particular investigations,” Weaver said. The sheriff declined to address speculation that Prince’s death was caused by a reported abuse of prescription pain pills. “I’m not able to confirm that at this time at all,” Olson said. “There have been so many rumors out that I’ve read about. I don’t know if I can dispel all the rumors that are out there.”

MORE

Billy Pauls dies, recorded Me an' Mrs. Jones...

'Me and Mrs. Jones' singer Billy Paul dead at age 80
Apr. 24, 2016 — Billy Paul, a jazz and soul singer best known for the No. 1 hit ballad and "Philadelphia Soul" classic "Me and Mrs. Jones," died Sunday.
Paul, whose career spanned for more than 60 years, died at his home in Blackwood, New Jersey, his co-manager, Beverly Gay, told The Associated Press. Paul, 80, had been diagnosed recently with pancreatic cancer, Gay said. Known by his beard and large glasses, Paul was one of many singers who found success with the writing and producing team of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, whose Philadelphia International Records also released music by the O'Jays, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, and Lou Rawls. "Me and Mrs. Jones" was an extramarital confession and a characteristic Gamble and Huff production, setting Paul's thick tenor against a lush and sensuous arrangement. Many fans best remember the moment when Paul's otherwise subtle vocals jump as they reach the title words, stretching out "Me" and "And" into multiple syllables and repeating "Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones." (Paul himself was married to the same woman for decades).

460x.jpg

Leon A. Huff, cofounder and vice chairman of Philadelphia International Records, left, singer Billy Paul, center, and Kenneth Gamble​
Paul's voice made him "one of the great artists to come out of Philly and to be celebrated worldwide," Gamble and Huff said in a statement late Sunday. "Our proudest moment with Billy was the recording of the salacious smash 'Me and Mrs. Jones.' In our view, it is one of the greatest love songs ever recorded," they said. The song was one of the top singles of 1972 and brought Paul a Grammy the following year for best male rhythm 'n blues performance, with runners-up including Ray Charles and Curtis Mayfield. Paul remained identified with the song for the rest of his life. Paul continued to perform live until he fell ill and his manager said he had been lining up numerous appearances at the time of his death. Among his favorites in concert was a cover of Prince's "Purple Rain." (Prince died last Thursday).

He was born Paul Williams but later agreed to his manager's suggestion that he change his name to Billy Paul to avoid confusion with songwriter Paul Williams and other musicians with the same name. A Philadelphia native, he sang much his life, performing with such jazz stars as Charlie Parker and Dinah Washington and being featured on a handful of singles while still in his teens. Paul was drafted into the military in his early 20s, and found himself on the same base in Germany with a couple of famous show business names, Elvis Presley and Gary Crosby, Bing Crosby's son. "We said we're going to start a band, so we didn't have to do any hard work in the service," he told bluesandsoul.com in 2015. "We tried to get Elvis to join but he wanted to be a jeep driver. So me and Gary Crosby, we started it and called ourselves the Jazz Blues Symphony Band."

MORE

Billy Pauls dies, recorded Me an' Mrs. Jones...

'Me and Mrs. Jones' singer Billy Paul dead at age 80
Apr. 24, 2016 — Billy Paul, a jazz and soul singer best known for the No. 1 hit ballad and "Philadelphia Soul" classic "Me and Mrs. Jones," died Sunday.
Paul, whose career spanned for more than 60 years, died at his home in Blackwood, New Jersey, his co-manager, Beverly Gay, told The Associated Press. Paul, 80, had been diagnosed recently with pancreatic cancer, Gay said. Known by his beard and large glasses, Paul was one of many singers who found success with the writing and producing team of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, whose Philadelphia International Records also released music by the O'Jays, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, and Lou Rawls. "Me and Mrs. Jones" was an extramarital confession and a characteristic Gamble and Huff production, setting Paul's thick tenor against a lush and sensuous arrangement. Many fans best remember the moment when Paul's otherwise subtle vocals jump as they reach the title words, stretching out "Me" and "And" into multiple syllables and repeating "Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones." (Paul himself was married to the same woman for decades).

460x.jpg

Leon A. Huff, cofounder and vice chairman of Philadelphia International Records, left, singer Billy Paul, center, and Kenneth Gamble​
Paul's voice made him "one of the great artists to come out of Philly and to be celebrated worldwide," Gamble and Huff said in a statement late Sunday. "Our proudest moment with Billy was the recording of the salacious smash 'Me and Mrs. Jones.' In our view, it is one of the greatest love songs ever recorded," they said. The song was one of the top singles of 1972 and brought Paul a Grammy the following year for best male rhythm 'n blues performance, with runners-up including Ray Charles and Curtis Mayfield. Paul remained identified with the song for the rest of his life. Paul continued to perform live until he fell ill and his manager said he had been lining up numerous appearances at the time of his death. Among his favorites in concert was a cover of Prince's "Purple Rain." (Prince died last Thursday).

He was born Paul Williams but later agreed to his manager's suggestion that he change his name to Billy Paul to avoid confusion with songwriter Paul Williams and other musicians with the same name. A Philadelphia native, he sang much his life, performing with such jazz stars as Charlie Parker and Dinah Washington and being featured on a handful of singles while still in his teens. Paul was drafted into the military in his early 20s, and found himself on the same base in Germany with a couple of famous show business names, Elvis Presley and Gary Crosby, Bing Crosby's son. "We said we're going to start a band, so we didn't have to do any hard work in the service," he told bluesandsoul.com in 2015. "We tried to get Elvis to join but he wanted to be a jeep driver. So me and Gary Crosby, we started it and called ourselves the Jazz Blues Symphony Band."

MORE

Gone home to be with the Lord...
icon_frown.gif

Trinity Broadcasting Network founder Jan Crouch dead at 78
May 31, 2016 - Crouch suffered massive stroke last week
On Saturday, the Trinity Broadcasting Network announced that Crouch had suffered a stroke in the Orlando area. The statement said she was resting comfortably, but the diagnosis wasn't good. Early Tuesday, TBN said on Twitter: "Jan Crouch, known around the world as Momma Jan, has gone home." Her husband, Paul, died in 2013. Statement from Matt and Laurie Crouch:

"Laurie and I have just watched the transition of our precious Mother from this world to the next; watched her step into the presence of Jesus and into her heavenly reward. Jan Crouch, known around the world as Momma Jan, has gone home.

crouch-JPG.jpg

The founder of the world's largest Christian television network, Jan Crouch, has died.​

"Those who battled for the Kingdom of God knew her as a fighter — someone who didn’t give up, someone who fought relentlessly to get the Gospel around the world.

"Jan Crouch loved many things, but most of all she loved Jesus, and now has seen Him face to face and has experienced His grace in fullness. "She has taken a piece of our hearts with her, but it’s so wonderful to know that Paul and Jan Crouch are together again, in the arms of Jesus."

Trinity Broadcasting Network founder Jan Crouch dead at 78

Forum List

Back