1982 H&R 4" 999 Sportsman Top-Break Revolver

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked this one up the other day with the S&W Model 60-1 but it was missing the rear sight blade so I waited till it came in today....I have $214.00 in it.

HR 003 (2).JPG

It came with a Hunter holster and two speed loaders so I did not feel bad about spending the $14.00 shipped for the sight blade from Gun Parts Corp..

Windage is accomplished by way of a screw on each side of the latch. Elevation by a screw in the front of the revolver that moves the spring-loaded blade up/down.

To be honest I did not know H&R was still making a top-break in '82....It was the last year of production.

It shoots good (the SA trigger is a bit heavy at 4.5#) with CCI Standard and the speed-loaders work really well.

It would not be my first choice for a woods gun but there's just something about a top-break. ;)

I picked this one up the other day with the S&W Model 60-1 but it was missing the rear sight blade so I waited till it came in today....I have $214.00 in it.

View attachment 743383

It came with a Hunter holster and two speed loaders so I did not feel bad about spending the $14.00 shipped for the sight blade from Gun Parts Corp..

Windage is accomplished by way of a screw on each side of the latch. Elevation by a screw in the front of the revolver that moves the spring-loaded blade up/down.

To be honest I did not know H&R was still making a top-break in '82....It was the last year of production.

It shoots good (the SA trigger is a bit heavy at 4.5#) with CCI Standard and the speed-loaders work really well.

It would not be my first choice for a woods gun but there's just something about a top-break. ;)
Nice buy.

View attachment 743383

Wow, did not know those were made that late. Always think of those as being pre-1950s. Is that 10-shot?
My "woods gun" was a .357 Ruger Security 6 because..bears.
Wasn't supposed to carry one, but uh..I'd rather have a chance than not. One time I'm talking to the game warden with that thing in my pocket. He was alright. I didn't volunteer to tell him about that.

Last edited:
How's it shoot? You sure about LRN in it? I've been "Mini-Mags or go fuck your mother" since I was 11.
No Thundercraps, no Federal or ..the other thing. CCI Mini Mags, that's it. Maybe Stangers somewhat accepted.
You could lighten that trigger pull. Still, 4 1/2 lbs isn't all that bad. For a double action pistol, that's great!
Avg S&W is what..13?

Last edited:
I had one of those around 1975 and I think it had a 6" barrel. It shot very good, but my eyes were a lot better then. I used to carry it deer hunting in GW national Forrest, and there were a lot of fox squirrels and grouse there then. Traded it for a ruger security six 6" stainless for the same reason, armed robberies were common when working on the metro construction.

View attachment 743383

HKS made a 9-shot .22 speed loader? That's the first I've ever seen of those.

I had one of those around 1975 and I think it had a 6" barrel. It shot very good, but my eyes were a lot better then. I used to carry it deer hunting in GW national Forrest, and there were a lot of fox squirrels and grouse there then. Traded it for a ruger security six 6" stainless for the same reason, armed robberies were common when working on the metro construction.
I killed my first deer in the GWNF but it bordered our family land......A place called Veach Gap in Shenandoah County.

Wow, did not know those were made that late. Always think of those as being pre-1950s. Is that 10-shot?
My "woods gun" was a .357 Ruger Security 6 because..bears.
Wasn't supposed to carry one, but uh..I'd rather have a chance than not. One time I'm talking to the game warden with that thing in my pocket. He was alright. I didn't volunteer to tell him about that.
My woods gun because bears is a 12 gauge riot gun with 00.

My woods gun because bears is a 12 gauge riot gun with 00.
As good a thing as any. IF any actually work. :dunno:

I've heard they've found bears with several .308 bullets lodged in their face n stuff. That didn't stop 'em.
Granted those were out west Grizzlies and not our little FL Black bears, but still.
Bears are the bulldozers of the woods.
Know why you never see any bear trails? Because bears dgaf! Bears just crash through and make a hole. Everywhere they go is their own trail. They can open up the thickest stuff you've ever seen without a machete. They can run through it.
Basically bears just do what they want.

View attachment 743383

I've got an H&R 22/22 Mag. I really like that gun. Well made.

Forum List

Back