101 grads owe over $1M in federal student loans, with more students expected to follow suit

Is it their fault? Or the colleges that knew they'd never make it and admitted them anyways just to make money?

How do these students get the loans in the first place?
I blame the lenders How does a 20 year old get approved for a $20,000 student loan when the student has no collateral. In fact many of these same students could not qualify for a car loan of the same value.

How do these students get the loans in the first place?
I blame the lenders How does a 20 year old get approved for a $20,000 student loan when the student has no collateral. In fact many of these same students could not qualify for a car loan of the same value.

Lax admission standards.

On purpose, to make money off the poor saps that are not college material.

It's really a crime.

they dont have to be stupid. Go to a low cost jr college for 2 years, so your pell grant covers your tuition and fees. Live in a van on 5 k a year, like I did. Get your RN license, hire on at 50k a year, clear 35k, pay off the 12k of loans in one year. you're set. you can go anywhere and be a nurse, especially a MALE nurse, and get plenty of overtime in some places. Go where the money is. You only have big student debt if you're stupid and lazy.

they dont have to be stupid. Go to a low cost jr college for 2 years, so your pell grant covers your tuition and fees. Live in a van on 5 k a year, like I did. Get your RN license, hire on at 50k a year, clear 35k, pay off the 12k of loans in one year. you're set. you can go anywhere and be a nurse, especially a MALE nurse, and get plenty of overtime in some places. Go where the money is. You only have big student debt if you're stupid and lazy.

That is assuming you are eligible for Pell grants. If your parents have any income, you can kiss that goodbye, unless you are a single mother, on TANF, SNAP, etc.

bs, your parents can make up to 80k a year and you still get pell grants. if they make more, they can damned well cover your 6k of tuition and fees. or join the national guard, you lazy fuck.

bs, your parents can make up to 80k a year and you still get pell grants. if they make more, they can damned well cover your 6k of tuition and fees. or join the national guard, you lazy fuck.

Really? You disagree with my experiences getting my daughter through school, and you insult me like that? Where do you get off on that?

I was a poor public school teacher, and I never got close to making $80,000 and my children were never eligible for any type of grant. All three of my kids went to college, so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining! All of their educations were paid for by the military or VA, so stuff that in your bong and smoke it.

The article gives no clue how a million dollars in student debt can be accumulated. Clearly, these are very extreme outliers - possibly married doctors living on borrowed money while in school. Who knows...maybe these people will be in a position to pay the loans back at some time.

Really? You disagree with my experiences getting my daughter through school, and you insult me like that? Where do you get off on that?

I was a poor public school teacher, and I never got close to making $80,000 and my children were never eligible for any type of grant. All three of my kids went to college, so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining! All of their educations were paid for by the military or VA, so stuff that in your bong and smoke it.

that's what the college just got thru telling me. your info is way out of date.

Here's what a simple google search found in 5 seconds, and it's probably old info\

I think that what they mean is that the 100 kids owe a total of a million, which is just 10k each, which is nothing. The other way of looking at it is impossible, unless they were all MD's.

Is it their fault? Or the colleges that knew they'd never make it and admitted them anyways just to make money?

Young people are taught that expensive college courses are their only salvation. They lack the funds to pay for it out of pocket so they take loans out of desperation. Then when they're in desperate debt situations we blame it all on them? No, fuck that. I don't know about all of you, but I didn't know shit when I was 18 years old. We should be ashamed of the way young people are taken advantage of in this country.

that's what the college just got thru telling me. your info is way out of date.

Here's what a simple google search found in 5 seconds, and it's probably old info\

My info is out of date?

50 K is less than the 80K the other poster claimed. Do try to keep up!

101 grads owe over $1M in federal student loans, with more students expected to follow suit

And they probably all have degrees in useless subjects, like "Women's Studies" and "Communications."
I have a communications degree and I just bought this $26k boat straight up cash.

What degree do you have and what do you do?

I’m in sales.

poli sci and fitness education

i'm a fitness coach!
Well I’ll give you this that’s a specific degree and that’s better than my generic communications degree.

I won’t lie I tell kids to get a better degree too. But I just needed a college degree and finance accounting, statistics, marketing 2 classes stopped me from majoring in business. So thank god for communications. Lol

A college degree gets me these good jobs. I get to check off the box YES I have a college degree.

Minored in marketing

Forum List

Back