Zakaria: Gingrich vrs Romney Fight is Birth of New GOP

Discussion in 'Politics' started by JimBowie1958, Dec 18, 2011.

1. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    Zakaria: The rebirth of the Republican Party? – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

I think Zakaria, untypically, has nailed this one. Bsically what we are seeing in this election is a Tea Party Spring uprising powered by a large number of small donations and volunteer time and effort, and all guided by a consensus reached in meeting set up or conducted on the internet. The whole reason the old party hierarchies exist is because in the pre-internet days you needed such structures to bring people together, to pool resources, and act as the brain of a mass organization. We dont need that nearly so much any more and I suspect we will need it ever less as time goes on.

What Zakaria is seeing in the GOP is similar to what happened with the Arab Spring, the initial OWS, and pro-democracy movements in Russia.

Power is shifting quite strongly from cadres of leadership to lower levels of local groups who can decide who and what they want to support, and this is happening across all groups to one extent or another. But it is happening most clearly in groups where the lower ranks have been led in a direction they do not prefer in the past and there has been too much concentration of decision making at the top and little input from the lower ranks.

I get the feeling that the new boss wont be the same as the old boss any more.

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Gingrich and Romney are the rebirth of the Republican Party? Who the f*ck would think that? :confused:

Oh ok, Fareed Zakaria. Nevermind.

3. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    You didnt read the co.umn too carefully, it would seem.

It isnt Gingrich and Romney, but the contest between them and who is backing them.

I know Gingrich has been a Washington insider for decades, but he does not have the support of the GOP establishment and that is Zakaria's distinction between the two.

That Paul is doing as well as he is is another indicator, but in this case the GOP establishment is using Paul to split Romney's opposition. But that opposition is so broad and Romney's support so narrow that even a three way split among Tea Party rank and file can produce a successful opposition to Romney's christening.

One might think that Paul supporters would support this, but for many of them the personality cult for Paul is so strong they cant support anyone else but their Messiah. People sense this and recoil from it once they have interacted much with Paul supporters.

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,988
    The Republican Party has always been a coalition. So have the Democrats.

In the case of the GOP, the coalition has been made up of industrialists, small businessmen, libertarians, religious folks and people who are for a strong national defense.

The problem is that the establishment in Washington and Wall Street are trying to impose Romney on the rank and file which pretty clearly doesn't want him.

Newt has risen to the point where he is at because right now, he is the most credible "Not Romney" out there. Not because he has struck some great idealogical chord.

That should be a signal to the GOP Establishment that Romney is a horrible pick, and they need to cease and desist, immediately, and find a credible alternative. Rick Perry could have been that guy, but a combination of his own stumbles and the Bush family's backroom machinations have put the kaybosh on that.

I think Romney will probably be the nominee, but he will lose badly to Obama because honest, if Republicans can't get excited about him, how is anyone else going to?

5. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    From the article:
    Bullshit! Both parties are owned by International Bankers, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Gingrich and Romney are Globalists. That means open borders, loss of sovereignty, low standard of living, global governance and global carbon taxes. And just who is at the top of this "Global Governance"? Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. Bankers have bankrolled every nasty dictator in the worlds history, it's how they operate. Look at who controls Obama's administration: Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan execs.

Look up "Globalists" if you don't believe me.

Again, Fareed Zacharia is either a shill or he doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I just love what Barney Fife.....er, Frank said. "I Must Have Done Something Right During My Lifetime To Be Handed Newt Gingrich As The Republican Presidential Nominee On My Way Out!"

7. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    "Cult"? "Messiah"? That would be Obama supporters who voted for him merely because he is Black and isn't Bush!

Go to Ron Pauls' website. Look around, then come back here and tell us what makes you "recoil" from it.
    Ron Paul 2012 Official Campaign Website

8. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,473
    That coalition worked because the first two gave the financial backing, the last three gave the broad themes to the party; liberty, traditional morality and national security.

But lately the industrialists and financiers, who have always reflected the common values of the popular culture, are turned off by the traditional morality issues. They consider them too controversial and a distraction from their main issues: reducing the three boogeymen of taxes, government oversight, and economic populism.

But a huge majority of the GOP rack and file are traditional morality voters, and the GOP cant win without them.

And in the past they would have had no problem, but that was pre-2010 and the Tea Party revolution.

I dont know about striking chords, but Newt is conservative in all subjects and Romney conservative on all of them but questionable on matters of traditional morality. The latter is why the party hierarchy likes hima nd why the rank and file do not.

I think Perry would have been a great pick, if he would only take some coaching and be a little more smooth. I think he has acquired that, but its too late for this election.

I dont think Romney will get the nomination. Ron Paul will get it before he does.

9. JWBooth

JWBooth Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,957

Nonsense, Romney and Gingreich are bought and paid for shills of the same old GOPer establishment.

10. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    The GOP is really gonna look bad after Boehnor and McConnel saying that their number one priority in the middle of the worst recession since the great depression was to ensure that Obama would be denied a second term. If Gingrich is the nominee the Republicans will get their asses kicked in every swing state in this great republic.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1