Your lifeoccupations: Mental versus Physical Labor

Is or was your life's work mainly physical or mental?

• A female ... and mine is/was mainly physical work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A male .... mainly physical work

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • A female ... mainly mental work

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • A male ... mainly mental work

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Other? (please describe)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • A student up to now with normal physical activity

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
A poll on lifestyle/occupations: Mental versus Physical Labor

The poll choices:
1] A female and mine is/was mainly physical work
2] A male .... mainly physical work
3] A female ... mainly mental work
4] A male ... mainly mental work
5] Other
6] A student up to now with normal physical activity.

The purpose of this poll is discover how much of the life work of members here is physical/action or mental/sedentary.

Do you now, or for a large proportion of your life have you made a living by manual labor or work requiring a great deal of action with physical strain or impact to the body, or mostly desk and administrative like work?

PS. This poll will not be public

Both 2 and 4 applies to me. At times, a combination of the two. I've been everything from the newest employee standing on the bottom rung off the ladder of success to the owner of the ladder.

Both 2 and 4 applies to me. At times, a combination of the two. I've been everything from the newest employee standing on the bottom rung off the ladder of success to the owner of the ladder.

Some folks here have spent their lives, on a nearly daily basis, performing some form of physically demanding manual labor. I put myself among those as hands on builder/developer. Though mine was not daily, and there were some fairly long periods of intense physically demanding work like carpentry, masonry, and dirt-work, and other things that went on for months with breaks of only weeks to recover from the demands, I had little choice about meeting physical demands. That might be you - please select one.

Last edited:
My first 5 years in the work force, I was in the Infantry - Physical definitely

The last 20 years have been dedicated to mental pursuits of the Law and Technology. At times there was a physical component to technology, but not enough to mention.

I said other.

I'm female and my job has both mental and physical components. The physical isn't heavy labor like construction but requires me to be on my feet all day and requires dexterity and fine motor coordination to pass instrumentation to doctors without stabbing the idiot residents that just HAVE to stick their hands in the field when you're trying to pass a scalpel or suture. The mental component is knowing the cases I am doing and trying to remain one step ahead of the doctor...trying to know what he'll need before he asks for it.

Female

Mine is both. I like that. I hate to sit too long.
Same here, given a choice I eat my lunches standing. So far this is enlightening; I'm the lone mainly physical worker.

I used to be 30% physical and 70% mental. But I find being the other way around now is more stimulating and helps me sleep better and helps me to also think better

I am healthier for it :cool:

Ever notice how people who have to sit all day, and do all mental work, are stressed out?

Female

Mine is both. I like that. I hate to sit too long.
Same here, given a choice I eat my lunches standing. So far this is enlightening; I'm the lone mainly physical worker.

I used to be 30% physical and 70% mental. But I find being the other way around now is more stimulating and helps me sleep better and helps me to also think better

Ever notice how people who have to sit all day, and do all mental work, are stressed out?

Because, in spite of how much we enjoy our work ... you do get bored when it's all mental, you notice time passing, and even a tiny bit of redundancy becomes annoying as hell. With physical activity you can switch off all but the focused thought, you forget about the clock, and things change more often ... it's almost a zen thing.

Because, in spite of how much we enjoy our work ... you do get bored when it's all mental, you notice time passing, and even a tiny bit of redundancy becomes annoying as hell. With physical activity you can switch off all but the focused thought, you forget about the clock, and things change more often ... it's almost a zen thing.

For me, it is the other way around. I've had jobs where I've performed repetitive manual labor, and felt like I was dieing a slow death.

Working a factory line is living hell to me.

Forum List

Back