your alert system doesnt seem to work right

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by G.T., Jan 1, 2015.

1. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,738
    Sometimes, I get an alert when someone makes a new post in one of my "watched threads."

& sometimes, I dont.

That doesnt seem right. Just letting yaz know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,486
    Sometimes when I post in a thread (which should bump it to the top of "new posts") it is then nowhere to be found.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,881
    You're not the only one whose noticed this inconsistency. It happens to me, too.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,884
    Sometimes I think we Americans are so spoiled that we take for granted all the good things happening around us every single day.

A few alerts didn't work? Seriously???

This board is 100% better than the old board. The features are great and it is much easier to use. It's a brand new year and we need to be happy we have a message board! Some people are still writing in the dirt with a stick - or sending a message by smoke signals or balloons! (evangelism to North Koreans) How'd you like to be in that situation?

5. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,881
    Firstly, I preferred the old format. Secondly, it's not like G.T's throwing a tantrum. He's drawing attention to an inconsequential inconsistency that others have noticed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,738
    I dont care as much as you think, im just trying to help out by drawing attention to a glitch.

7. cereal_killer

cereal_killer Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,466
    Looking into this

8. cereal_killer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,466
    OK G.T. The alerts are working properly. I had to explain this to another member so I'm going to copy and paste it for you as well. Let me know if you have any questions.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok in regards to the Alerts. I watched a few threads and they are in fact working properly, but people don't fully understand how the alerts work. I'll give you a very primitive example of how they work so it's not confusing. I'll try to make this as simple as possible:

I post THREAD A and you decide to watch THREAD A.

George comes along and posts in THREAD A. You will now get an alert. A few things can happen which will effect future alerts. First lets say you just hover over the alert to see what it was. Now if you hover over that alert but don't visit the thread the alert will disappear and you will NOT get another alert even if others post in there.

So now the day goes on and 3 more people post in there (still no alert). You decide to go see what George said, you hit the alert link and it takes you to George's post. Pay attention here...so you read George's post but DON'T read the other 3. The software see's this is as you still not reading the entire thread so you will still not receive any new alerts.

The original alert of George is there to say "hey someone posted and there may be more posts so read them"

So lets back up now. Again, you decide to go see what George said, you hit the alert link and it takes you to George's post BUT this time you read the other 3 posts as well. That now resets the alerts and you again start receiving them. The software says "Ok MemberX has read the entire thread time to send her a new alert when someone posts in THREAD A"

So the moral of the story is read the entire thread when you go to it and you will receive new alerts. Remember, once you hover over the alert or read just the one comment you will no longer receive alerts.

9. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,738
    I see. Lol thats redonkulous man jeebus

10. cereal_killer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,466
    Not really, makes perfect sense. The other option is to get hammered with alerts all day long (on a popular thread)