You Be The Judge

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. "DETROIT (WXYZ) - Lional Campbell's son, Michael, passed away at the age of three from acute meningitis.

2. "It took a lot out of me," says Campbell who is from Detroit and now lives in Kentucky. And it's that distance that is making even more difficult for Campbell to wage a fight with Wayne County Friend of the Court over child support that Campbell says he is still paying for Michael.

3. A spokesperson for the Friend of the Court says no one ever notified them of the boy's death until Campbell began asking why he still owed child support in 2011 for a child that was deceased by the age of 3.

4. For years, Campbell never questioned paying child support to Friend of the Court because he thought the money was for what he owed for an older son he fathered with Michael's mother.

5. He says he was told the continuing payments were back child support for his son Michael.
Campbell drove to Detroit to show court officials a death certificate, proof that Michael died in 1988, but says he was told that he still owed about $43,000 for Michael.

6. And after so many erroneous audits, Campbell still doubts he owes that amount because for so many years he was paying for what court officials believed were two children.

7. Michael's mother declined to comment on the story."
Father says he's still paying child support for 3-year-old son who died 25 years ago

Poor guy.....some kind of error has him paying support for a child he had who died over 20 years ago.....

My opinion?
Too darn bad.
A father...sperm donor....who never attempted to lighten the burden of a sickly child who he fathered.....

...never visited or called or sent a birthday card to.....

...too darn bad.

Who does he think he is....Arnold Schwarzenegger????

Arnold Schwarzenegger or not, emotion should play no part in what this man owes.

"Court officials admitted ... that the calculations from the audits were wrong and that they would expedite another one." When the correct number is reached he should pay. His tax refund should be held in escrow while this matter is expedited.

Arnold Schwarzenegger or not, emotion should play no part in what this man owes.

"Court officials admitted ... that the calculations from the audits were wrong and that they would expedite another one." When the correct number is reached he should pay. His tax refund should be held in escrow while this matter is expedited.

Rectitude, not emotion.

I don't want to wait for Karma.

So being an absentee father means you should pay for it for the rest of your life? Child support is just that, "Child" support. When there's no child, there should be no support.

Jeeez PC, you sound like one of those Man hating FemiNazis here!

So being an absentee father means you should pay for it for the rest of your life? Child support is just that, "Child" support. When there's no child, there should be no support.

"...Man hating..."

Make that child-loving and I'll cop to it.

If a mother had done that, left the child and pursued a successful career....and ignored her child for 20 years....do you think my attitude would be any different?

'Course, the odds are far greater that said behavior would be evident in a so-called father.

"...Man hating..."

If a mother had done that, left the child and pursued a successful career....and ignored her child for 20 years....do you think my attitude would be any different?

'Course, the odds are far greater that said behavior would be evident in a so-called father.
The child died at age 3. Did you miss that part? The support payments should have been stopped.

Child support isn't due if there's no child (aside from what has been accrued).

However...some years back my child support (received through the state, who garnished it from the kids' dad's unemployment comp) dropped significantly....I didn't think anything of it...but after I quit the paper, I had time on my hands and swung by the doj child support division to check in with them and find out why the child support was so much less over the last year than it was prior....

They took my name and went in the back, then came back out and said "we made a mistake...we owe you money."

In two days I had a check in the mail for $2000.

Their accounting sucks. Apparently he was paying the money, but they were losing it somewhere.

Rectitude, not emotion.

That rectitude is based upon your moral compass and that is not how the law works.

So? Who was taking money for a dead child? That's fraud where I come from.

I could understand if the 43,000 is owed for past medical bills for treatments
that were really used for the child's ACTUAL care. If it's just paying costs for the mother or
other family members, and not actually paying back for anything spent on this particular son, I agree with the other Post that this should constitute fraud. Where are the medical records as to how much was actually owed or spent on this son for treatment? I can understand the hospital or state recovering costs to the public, but not the mother spending the money elsewhere on other than the actual child.

With cases like these, you'd think people should sign documents in advance as to what they agree to pay for per kid per month. Maybe couples would think twice before having sex! Especially with someone who can't or won't agree to pay half and won't sign in advance to have wages garnished in case of divorce or unamicable split. How's that for birth control?
Trying to enforce this after the fact is obviously too late to have a deterrent effect!

1. "DETROIT (WXYZ) - Lional Campbell's son, Michael, passed away at the age of three from acute meningitis.

2. "It took a lot out of me," says Campbell who is from Detroit and now lives in Kentucky. And it's that distance that is making even more difficult for Campbell to wage a fight with Wayne County Friend of the Court over child support that Campbell says he is still paying for Michael.

3. A spokesperson for the Friend of the Court says no one ever notified them of the boy's death until Campbell began asking why he still owed child support in 2011 for a child that was deceased by the age of 3.

4. For years, Campbell never questioned paying child support to Friend of the Court because he thought the money was for what he owed for an older son he fathered with Michael's mother.

5. He says he was told the continuing payments were back child support for his son Michael.
Campbell drove to Detroit to show court officials a death certificate, proof that Michael died in 1988, but says he was told that he still owed about $43,000 for Michael.

6. And after so many erroneous audits, Campbell still doubts he owes that amount because for so many years he was paying for what court officials believed were two children.

7. Michael's mother declined to comment on the story."
Father says he's still paying child support for 3-year-old son who died 25 years ago

Poor guy.....some kind of error has him paying support for a child he had who died over 20 years ago.....

My opinion?
Too darn bad.
A father...sperm donor....who never attempted to lighten the burden of a sickly child who he fathered.....

...never visited or called or sent a birthday card to.....

...too darn bad.

Who does he think he is....Arnold Schwarzenegger????

He is probably struggling with other child support he has to pay valid claims on, and doesn't want to be funding the mother's welfare ticket if that's where this money has been going. I wouldn't want to pay anything unnecessary either, on top of other expenses consuming most of the available income already!

"...Man hating..."

The child died at age 3. Did you miss that part? The support payments should have been stopped.

Of course I didn't miss it.....

He never made an attempt to be part of the life of the infant he created.

Rectitude, not emotion.

That rectitude is based upon your moral compass and that is not how the law works.

"...that is not how the law works."

And that's why I'm perfectly copacetic with this little 'mistake.'

Which is being rectified, because your version of rectitude is unacceptable.

It echoes the saying: "One can only find justice in the dictionary and the cemetery."

I rather words of Marcus Aurelius: "Stand erect, or be made to stand erect."

Which is being rectified, because your version of rectitude is unacceptable.

It echoes the saying: "One can only find justice in the dictionary and the cemetery."

I rather words of Marcus Aurelius: "Stand erect, or be made to stand erect."

You just do not like the outcome which does not speak of justice, only your own bias.

Forum List

Back