Yet Another Debt Ceiling Battle

The rating agencies are still looking for the same deficit reduction they were seeking last time we got downgraded because they perceived us lacking in the political will to address the problem.

If you'll recall they cautioned that another downgrade might be warranted if the deficit wasn't dealt with. So has anyone seen any effort by Barry to attack the deficit? Anything?

Would passing a Health care bill that reduces the deficit by over 120billion dollars count?
Would reducing future military spending by 500billion dollars count?
Would expanding IRS funding for tax cheats reducing the deficit by 4billion count?
Would increasing taxes on companies that offshore reducing the deficit by several billion count?
Wood a food safety bill that reduces the deficit by several billion, a DREAM act that reduces it by 1.4billion, anti-fraud measures, eliminating overspending on military goods, more energy efficient government buildings, raising tobacco taxes, count?

As far as I know Obamcare is going to add to the deficit in a major way.
Yea so you know nothing.
Next you want to cut 500 billion out of defense when they only spend 700 billion a year yet you won't cut one single social program...
Why should we cut food stamps? Is eating now a waste of money?
Oddly you seem to want to cut from the only thing that the federal Government has authority to spend on per the constitution...
Na I only want to cut wasteful spending which is building more bombs despite having enough to blow the earth up 7 times. I mean it could be possible that we discover 8 new dimensions who all want to destroys so we might need enough to blow up 8 earths but I won't bet on it.
Furthermore providing people with food, educations, increasing energy efficiency and providing health care isn't a waste

CBO: Obamacare Would Increase National Debt, Spend Medicare
As the website for the House Budget Committee (which Ryan chairs) notes, the $226 billion in projected debt spending doesn't include "the $115 billion needed to implement the law." (That figure of $115 billion is provided by the CBO as well.) So, $115 billion plus $226 billion equals $341 billion that Obamacare would add to the national debt by the end of 2019.

And when we go to the CBO article that your source quotes this is what they actually say.
Together, those changes in outlays and revenues would diminish budget deficits and add to trust fund balances by $358 billion over that 10-year period.
So if you have an article that doesn't lie please present it.
Furthermore private analysis from Davis concludes that the CBO estimates under state deficit reduction by a few hundred percent

Would passing a Health care bill that reduces the deficit by over 120billion dollars count?
Would expanding IRS funding for tax cheats reducing the deficit by 4billion count?
Would increasing taxes on companies that offshore reducing the deficit by several billion count?
Wood a food safety bill that reduces the deficit by several billion, a DREAM act that reduces it by 1.4billion, anti-fraud measures, eliminating overspending on military goods, more energy efficient government buildings, raising tobacco taxes, count?

As far as I know Obamcare is going to add to the deficit in a major way.
Yea so you know nothing.

Why should we cut food stamps? Is eating now a waste of money?
Oddly you seem to want to cut from the only thing that the federal Government has authority to spend on per the constitution...
Na I only want to cut wasteful spending which is building more bombs despite having enough to blow the earth up 7 times. I mean it could be possible that we discover 8 new dimensions who all want to destroys so we might need enough to blow up 8 earths but I won't bet on it.
Furthermore providing people with food, educations, increasing energy efficiency and providing health care isn't a waste

As the website for the House Budget Committee (which Ryan chairs) notes, the $226 billion in projected debt spending doesn't include "the $115 billion needed to implement the law." (That figure of $115 billion is provided by the CBO as well.) So, $115 billion plus $226 billion equals $341 billion that Obamacare would add to the national debt by the end of 2019.

And when we go to the CBO article that your source quotes this is what they actually say.
Together, those changes in outlays and revenues would diminish budget deficits and add to trust fund balances by $358 billion over that 10-year period.
So if you have an article that doesn't lie please present it.
Furthermore private analysis from Davis concludes that the CBO estimates under state deficit reduction by a few hundred percent

I think I'll just stick with you're a hopeless idiot.

Still gonna wait for you to show where any of what you want is even constitutinal.

The rating agencies are still looking for the same deficit reduction they were seeking last time we got downgraded because they perceived us lacking in the political will to address the problem.

If you'll recall they cautioned that another downgrade might be warranted if the deficit wasn't dealt with. So has anyone seen any effort by Barry to attack the deficit? Anything?

As far as I know Obamcare is going to add to the deficit in a major way. Next you want to cut 500 billion out of defense when they only spend 700 billion a year yet you won't cut one single social program...

Don’t get me wrong, I want all the wars over with, but from my understanding that would be around 250 billionish saved a year. You still need to come up with about 1,2 trillion in cuts…

EDIT: Because I feel I have to give links so I'm not a retarded sounding as the dumbass I quoted. This was a simple search, I don't care who has the information just use google.

I've decided to just scroll through most of the fluff until i find a reasonable post worth responding to. This is such a post.
1. ObamaCare. Depending on with whom you speak, it either reduces or increases the deficit. I don't like it either way so I hope it gets repealed. But I don't claim to be an expert on it and so can't really say I believe one way or the other.
2. Defense. You're absolutely right. The USC authorizes spending on Defense. But do we need to spend more than every other country in the world COMBINED? Do we need to maintain bases in 115 countries? Are we that evil? Are our military personnel that inept? To me, the answer to all those questions is no. I think we should close a lot of bases, cut over half the budget and reallocate the fund to focus on technology, SOFs, Intel and bolstering domestic security. When was the last time we were involved in a land war with someone who actually attacked the USA? That would be WWII. So while you say reducing the budget by $3, 4 or $5oo billion isn't enough, it is the one area we can realistically cut that kind of money from. That's a trillion dollars every 2 - 3 years. That's a good start.
3. Entitlement et. al. LibDem programs. This is where the LibDems really fall on it. Like many point out, both sides want cut only from the programs the other side likes. Now I don't see Planned Parenthood as something worth cutting. It's like 0.000000001% of the budget and it actually does something that Conservatives should appreciate: it reduces the number of welfare babies. It does many other valuable things too. The Repubs appeal only to their own by attacking it. But PBS and NPR? LibDems cry about poor people starving in the streets and what's really important is talk radio and being able to see a documentary about the use of cow poop to build indian pueblos? C'mon LibDems. There's got to be some give n take. There are a LOT of LibDem programs that fall in that category but neither side compromises so they can dupe the voters into believing it's not the governments fault, it's "Those other guys". And of course, that product is bought by millions on both sides.

Funny, too much cool aid and TelePrompter reading for you bud.

It would if there was such a bill. Instead he passed one that vastling increased the deficit.

It would, but he's increased our military operations in new countries which we really dont need to be in such as Uganda and Libya.

Why on earth would increasing any funding cut the deficit? Increasing spending makes the problem worse.

increasing taxes doesnt close the deficit because it slows the economy and decreases revenues. The only think that closes the deficit is cutting spending and increasing the tax base rather than the tax rate. I dont know why this is so difficult for you to understand.

They would if they did any of that. But you live in a fantasy world where spending more money decreases the deficit.

As far as I know Obamcare is going to add to the deficit in a major way. Next you want to cut 500 billion out of defense when they only spend 700 billion a year yet you won't cut one single social program...

Don’t get me wrong, I want all the wars over with, but from my understanding that would be around 250 billionish saved a year. You still need to come up with about 1,2 trillion in cuts…

EDIT: Because I feel I have to give links so I'm not a retarded sounding as the dumbass I quoted. This was a simple search, I don't care who has the information just use google.

I've decided to just scroll through most of the fluff until i find a reasonable post worth responding to. This is such a post.
1. ObamaCare. Depending on with whom you speak, it either reduces or increases the deficit. I don't like it either way so I hope it gets repealed. But I don't claim to be an expert on it and so can't really say I believe one way or the other.
2. Defense. You're absolutely right. The USC authorizes spending on Defense. But do we need to spend more than every other country in the world COMBINED? Do we need to maintain bases in 115 countries? Are we that evil? Are our military personnel that inept? To me, the answer to all those questions is no. I think we should close a lot of bases, cut over half the budget and reallocate the fund to focus on technology, SOFs, Intel and bolstering domestic security. When was the last time we were involved in a land war with someone who actually attacked the USA? That would be WWII. So while you say reducing the budget by $3, 4 or $5oo billion isn't enough, it is the one area we can realistically cut that kind of money from. That's a trillion dollars every 2 - 3 years. That's a good start.
3. Entitlement et. al. LibDem programs. This is where the LibDems really fall on it. Like many point out, both sides want cut only from the programs the other side likes. Now I don't see Planned Parenthood as something worth cutting. It's like 0.000000001% of the budget and it actually does something that Conservatives should appreciate: it reduces the number of welfare babies. It does many other valuable things too. The Repubs appeal only to their own by attacking it. But PBS and NPR? LibDems cry about poor people starving in the streets and what's really important is talk radio and being able to see a documentary about the use of cow poop to build indian pueblos? C'mon LibDems. There's got to be some give n take. There are a LOT of LibDem programs that fall in that category but neither side compromises so they can dupe the voters into believing it's not the governments fault, it's "Those other guys". And of course, that product is bought by millions on both sides.

Thanks.

The issue is that both sides support everything they claim to be against with their vote. Bush grew entitlements and grew the deficit and Republicans claim to be against that. Obama started new wars, expanded old wars and did tax cuts and didn't let the Bush era tax cuts expire yet Democrats claim to be against that.

It's a bit mind numbing to watch the debate on these boards.

In the end both Reps and Dems grow all social spending, all welfare programs and all military. Neither have done cuts or offered meaningful cuts.

It's really not that hard to balance the budget, cut maybe 300 billion from military spending by ending wars and closing bases. Get rid of Obamacare, the DOE, all federal welfare, all federal subsidies, allow an opt out on SS and so on...

Bitching that we need to cut military as Star does, then he votes for one of the biggest war Presidents in US history is as about ass backwards as you can get. Stack massive social spending through TARP, Stimulus and Obamacare with more wars and you have a country so far in debt we might not make it out. But you couldn’t convince Star that Obama is anything but fuckin awesome!!! Why? Because this is a mindless war for the .01% of people that care enough about politics to visit political boards and rant about shit they know nothing of.

Again, how is Obamacare, SS, MC,MC DoE or federal food stamps even constitutional? Have you guys read the constitution? If you want cuts, cut what congress shouldn't even be doing. One way or another it's all going to fall apart, we have a 1.4 trillion dollar anual deficit currently and these fuckers wana add more to it, lol.

"Tax the Rich!!!" Lol, and what, get like 5 billion more a year in revenue?? lol.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I will sit this one out. Republicans/Democrats do your job! Make it work, it is relatively simple. Same old arguments. I am seriously considering just voting out every incumbent regardless of party. Heads up big time politicos, a lot of independents along with #OWS are thinking the same way. Screw you!

Last edited:
Looks like another battle to raise the debt ceiling will arrive just in time for Obama's first election loss.....

The federal government could hit the debt ceiling sooner than expected — and possibly around the November election — according to a report out Friday.

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill had hoped that last summer’s deal to end the nasty fight over lifting the debt ceiling would ensure the issue wouldn’t resurface until at least 2013.

But the Bipartisan Policy Center said Friday that the debt-limit doomsday could come earlier than that.

Analysts from the Bipartisan Policy Center projected that the United States will hit its $16.4 trillion debt ceiling between late November 2012 and early January 2013 due to lower-than-expected corporate tax revenues and the recent extension of the payroll tax holiday.

A number of other factors, such as the ongoing financial crises in Europe, volatile gas prices and how quickly the U.S. economy continues to grow could push the debt-ceiling deadline forward or backwards, according to the center.

Read more: Debt ceiling: Doomsday may come sooner than expected - POLITICO.com

If the Republicans insist on holding the country hostage again through their contrived debt ceiling crisis, I hope Obama invokes the 14th Amendment this time, essentially telling the Republicans to go to hell. Sure the debt needs to be reigned in but fucking around with a symbolic, self-imposed limit (which was raised 8 times during the last administration without any fanfare) is not the way to go about doing it.

well screw it then, why have a dept ceiling...lets just let Obama and his comrades in arms have the credit card to SPEND as they wish.

enjoy what you all will owe in the Future.

well screw it then, why have a dept ceiling...lets just let Obama and his comrades in arms have the credit card to SPEND as they wish.

This government has been operating on a Contiuning Resolution...contrary to a budget the Constitution demands...The Democrats are responsible for it. They can't escape it.

Looks like another battle to raise the debt ceiling will arrive just in time for Obama's first election loss.....

The federal government could hit the debt ceiling sooner than expected — and possibly around the November election — according to a report out Friday.

Lawmakers on Capitol Hill had hoped that last summer’s deal to end the nasty fight over lifting the debt ceiling would ensure the issue wouldn’t resurface until at least 2013.

But the Bipartisan Policy Center said Friday that the debt-limit doomsday could come earlier than that.

Analysts from the Bipartisan Policy Center projected that the United States will hit its $16.4 trillion debt ceiling between late November 2012 and early January 2013 due to lower-than-expected corporate tax revenues and the recent extension of the payroll tax holiday.

A number of other factors, such as the ongoing financial crises in Europe, volatile gas prices and how quickly the U.S. economy continues to grow could push the debt-ceiling deadline forward or backwards, according to the center.

If the Republicans insist on holding the country hostage again through their contrived debt ceiling crisis, I hope Obama invokes the 14th Amendment this time, essentially telling the Republicans to go to hell. Sure the debt needs to be reigned in but fucking around with a symbolic, self-imposed limit (which was raised 8 times during the last administration without any fanfare) is not the way to go about doing it.

Just like FDR voted against the new deal under Hoover only to later embrace it when he was President, Obama voted against the debt ceiling being raised under Bush... I say Obama would have done it to himself, if he had an R next to his name.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWOMsugKkfk]Obama Vote's Against Raising Debt Ceiling in 2006 - YouTube[/ame]

This government has been operating on a Contiuning Resolution...contrary to a budget the Constitution demands...The Democrats are responsible for it. They can't escape it.

yep, why do a budget when signing a new CR will do. A budget may actually bring a little spending discipline. No need for that. Let's just raise the debt ceiling again and let China pay the way.

Thanks.

The issue is that both sides support everything they claim to be against with their vote. Bush grew entitlements and grew the deficit and Republicans claim to be against that. Obama started new wars, expanded old wars and did tax cuts and didn't let the Bush era tax cuts expire yet Democrats claim to be against that.

Well I have to call you on this one. While Obama showed America what an "exit strategy" looks like in Libya, he did just propose cutting Defense by over $100 billion a year as a test drive for deeper cuts - which the Repubs just flipped out over. So while $100B isn't huge, it would have been a start. Oh well.

It's a bit mind numbing to watch the debate on these boards.

In the end both Reps and Dems grow all social spending, all welfare programs and all military. Neither have done cuts or offered meaningful cuts.

I agree.

It's really not that hard to balance the budget, cut maybe 300 billion from military spending by ending wars and closing bases. Get rid of Obamacare, the DOE, all federal welfare, all federal subsidies, allow an opt out on SS and so on...

I wouldn't get rid of ALL federal welfare. I used to volunteer at the Braille Institute. I think that deserves funding. Now I volunteer at both the local air force base and VFW helping troops coming out and vets. They have given more to our country than most - including arms and legs. I definitely think they deserve federal help. Subsidies? Yeah I'm down with that. I think we probably agree on more than we disagree on and if nothing else, it's good to see someone post something with a bit more substance than "The Dems want a nanny state to buy votes!" and other such prattle.

Bitching that we need to cut military as Star does, then he votes for one of the biggest war Presidents in US history is as about ass backwards as you can get. Stack massive social spending through TARP, Stimulus and Obamacare with more wars and you have a country so far in debt we might not make it out. But you couldn’t convince Star that Obama is anything but fuckin awesome!!! Why? Because this is a mindless war for the .01% of people that care enough about politics to visit political boards and rant about shit they know nothing of.

Not familiar with Star offhand. Obama has pissed me off a LOT. Especially with NDAAA. But the GOP gave me Romney as an alternative so I'm voting for Obama. WTF??? HE was the best they could do? Jayzus.

Again, how is Obamacare, SS, MC,MC DoE or federal food stamps even constitutional? Have you guys read the constitution? If you want cuts, cut what congress shouldn't even be doing. One way or another it's all going to fall apart, we have a 1.4 trillion dollar anual deficit currently and these fuckers wana add more to it, lol.

"Tax the Rich!!!" Lol, and what, get like 5 billion more a year in revenue?? lol.

I guess we disagree a bit here. I think lots of things introduced by congress, passed and signed by POTUS are "Constitutional". Obviously, not everything (ObamaCare, The Patriot Act and NDAA come immediately to mind) but a lot of things. For example, libraries and public funding of universities are technically UnConstitutional but I'm glad we have them.
I get a Libertarian sense from your posts. Would that be accurate?

Just like FDR voted against the new deal under Hoover only to later embrace it when he was President, Obama voted against the debt ceiling being raised under Bush... I say Obama would have done it to himself, if he had an R next to his name.

I don't recall the US credit rating being downgraded after either of those votes.

I don't recall the US credit rating being downgraded after either of those votes.

Really? Because I promise you that it happened after both of them. See, some of us here understand the downgrade has been a long time commin, in fact it was easily predictable.

The budget should have been under control a long time ago, Obama took a stand and even used to when he ran for President. Now that Obama IS President all of a sudden it's wrong to talk about deficits. Seems to me you have a run of the mill politician when it comes to Obama, question is are you wise enough to hold him accountable or will you be like the Bush-bots, you know, the guys you hate... =D

As I said, "you people support with your vote the very thing you claim to hate and blame our problems on." So, you’re the problem according tooooo.... yourself!

I bet you liked it when Obama took a stand against Bush spending more. I bet you liked Obama saying he would cut the deficit in half in his first term… So, being he did the polar opposite, do you dislike him now? Hell no, you’re gonna vote his lying ass back into office because he has a D next to his name!

Maybe fiscal conservatives will win this one?

Oh dream the impossible dream.

I know we can't NOT raise it because default is what caused the end of the Weimar republic and Argentina economies. That said, I'd like to see a requirement to cut a dollar of government spending for ever dollar increase. Of course, the cuts would have to be BEFORE the passage, AND cannot be pushed farther than 2 years out.

Again, I dream the impossible and say "why not"? Smoke that you liberal freakazoids.

I know we can't NOT raise it because default is what caused the end of the Weimar republic and Argentina economies. That said, I'd like to see a requirement to cut a dollar of government spending for ever dollar increase. Of course, the cuts would have to be BEFORE the passage, AND cannot be pushed farther than 2 years out.

Again, I dream the impossible and say "why not"? Smoke that you liberal freakazoids.

Hey Fitz. Love the avatar!
So where are you on Defense spending?

Hey Fitz. Love the avatar!
So where are you on Defense spending?
Cut it too. Start with foreign bases and military aid. Bring those displaced troops back home and set them to patrolling the borders and gunning down the mexican military protecting narcoterrorists running across our borders. Cheaper than defending Europe IMHO. Most of whom claim they don't want us there anyway.

If you're going to cut, be smart on how you do it and ending our self appointed job of defending the free world is the first place I see to cut.

Oh yeah, and quit training militaries and nation building. Figure it out yourself. Y'all are too expensive to carry for that much ingratitude.

The last time the GOP pulled these shenigans, everyone but the extreme Right, saw right through it. Repubs dived in polls and the blame for America's problems was shifted directly onto them. When Boner first announced this, I predicted that Romney would suffer because of it. He had just taken the lead (on RCP) from Obama for the first time. Since this bonehead move by Boner, Romney has lost the lead he finally gained and the decline is oth consistent and trackable from that exact day.
Obviously, this is nothing more than a political ploy by the GOP. They've got a candidate who is nowhere near Conservative enough for their liking. So they'll do this a bit to get the herd back in the corral and then, as always, return to sanity before they lose those who decide the elections: The Middle.

And the schill for the left chimes in right on cue.

Forum List

Back