Yesterday was "Darwin Day". GOP fills science committee with "Young Earthers".

More of that regurgitated swill. Dynamic countries whose economies are growing, whether communist or democracy sees a "Golden Triad" made up of Government, Universities and Business. Republicans will never see this because they hate government, they believe education is for snobs and universities are hotbeds of liberalism. Their only economic policy is to throw money at business and the rich and hope they make jobs. They haven't of course. But if that's your ONLY policy, you just keep hoping and throwing money and getting exactly the same results.

Republicans running the government are a self fulfilling prophecy.

No they don't.

Another well thought out response. :clap2: :doubt:

I wanted to ask, "Don't what", but I was afraid the answer would be, "Don't what, what?"

Evolution is the basis for all modern biology. It is the central tenet, the organizing theme, the trunk from which all branches grow.

For biology, Darwin is the founder in much the same way Newton or Galileo was for physics. Things have changed, improved, but the root idea is still there, and has grown—you might even say evolved—since.

Far too many members of Congress think the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, with far too many of them sitting on the House Science Committee. Of course, to be fair, having even one is one too many.

Darwin Day: Feb. 12, 2013 set to celebrate the creator of the idea of evolution.

Rep. Rush D. Holt, D-N.J., introduced the resolution that established Darwin Day on Jan. 22, but some of his colleagues in Congress rebut Darwin's theory of evolution.

According to The New York Times, Rep. Paul Broun said evolution is one of those "lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

Darwin Day forces holiday calendar to evolve

Tree of Life video HD - YouTube

Why I Am Not Celebrating "Darwin Day" - Brainstorm - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I want to celebrate the human spirit and what we can do, rather than drag all down to the level of the rather disgusting display that we are seeing in the Republican race for the presidential nomination.

I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why the worker ants are always female and never male. I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why there are so many different little finches on the Galapagos and why they look like the birds of South America and not of Africa. I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why our DNA is in major respects identical to the DNA of the fruitfly and why nevertheless we humans don’t have wings and live just on bananas. I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why the Stegosaurus has those daft plates all down its back (they are for heat control). I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why sex selection in humans in places like India and China tends to favor boys over girls. I want a theory that tells you why, when you have VD, you might be randier than you were before. I want a theory that does all of these things and, like the goose, promises to go on laying golden eggs day after day, year after year.

It is that theory that Charles Darwin gave us in the Origin of Species, and it is for that reason that tonight I will be raising a glass of very good wine in his honor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not too long ago, I (and pretty much the whole internet) wrote about the ridiculous and honestly offensive statements made by Representative Todd Akin (R-MO). His knowledge – or really, the profound lack thereof – of female anatomy made him the laughing stock of the planet. But I wasn’t laughing. I was, and still am, furious. And not just because of what he said, but also because he is a member of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee.

That anyone could spew such obvious and awful nonsense about biology and anatomy and yet sit on the US Congress’s science committee is, simply put, an outrage.

The US Congress Anti-Science Committee : Bad Astronomy

A Republican congressman has dismissed evolution, the Big Bang theory, and embryology as "lies straight from the pit of hell."
Representative Paul Broun (R-Ga.), whose speech at Liberty Baptist Church in Georgia last September was posted on YouTube earlier this week, may not be unique among Republican congressmen in holding such ignorant views or even in stating them so publicly.

Young Earth Baloney on the House Science Committee | Psychology Today

"According to the Bible, dinosaurs first existed around 6,000 years ago. God made the dinosaurs, along with the other land animals, on Day 6 of the Creation Week (Genesis I:20-25, 31). Adam and Eve were also made on Day 6—so dinosaurs lived at the same time as people, not separated by eons of time" (150).

----------------------------------------------------------

How Republicans have the nerve to insist they are the majority of scientists is stunning. These are their beliefs. Science is a lying faith to them. It's as clear as the ever changing nose on your face.

Good thing the Democrat are all so smart.

You do understand that the Science and Technology is considered the Siberia of Congress, don't you? No one gets that assignment unless they are considered idiots by the rest of the people in their party.
Rush Holt is a Physicist, and hardly an idiot, except to the Misinformation Voter.

Evolution is the basis for all modern biology. It is the central tenet, the organizing theme, the trunk from which all branches grow.

For biology, Darwin is the founder in much the same way Newton or Galileo was for physics. Things have changed, improved, but the root idea is still there, and has grown—you might even say evolved—since.

Far too many members of Congress think the Earth is less than 10,000 years old, with far too many of them sitting on the House Science Committee. Of course, to be fair, having even one is one too many.

Darwin Day: Feb. 12, 2013 set to celebrate the creator of the idea of evolution.

Rep. Rush D. Holt, D-N.J., introduced the resolution that established Darwin Day on Jan. 22, but some of his colleagues in Congress rebut Darwin's theory of evolution.

According to The New York Times, Rep. Paul Broun said evolution is one of those "lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior."

Why I Am Not Celebrating "Darwin Day" - Brainstorm - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I want to celebrate the human spirit and what we can do, rather than drag all down to the level of the rather disgusting display that we are seeing in the Republican race for the presidential nomination.

I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why the worker ants are always female and never male. I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why there are so many different little finches on the Galapagos and why they look like the birds of South America and not of Africa. I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why our DNA is in major respects identical to the DNA of the fruitfly and why nevertheless we humans don’t have wings and live just on bananas. I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why the Stegosaurus has those daft plates all down its back (they are for heat control). I want to celebrate a theory that tells us why sex selection in humans in places like India and China tends to favor boys over girls. I want a theory that tells you why, when you have VD, you might be randier than you were before. I want a theory that does all of these things and, like the goose, promises to go on laying golden eggs day after day, year after year.

It is that theory that Charles Darwin gave us in the Origin of Species, and it is for that reason that tonight I will be raising a glass of very good wine in his honor.

Not too long ago, I (and pretty much the whole internet) wrote about the ridiculous and honestly offensive statements made by Representative Todd Akin (R-MO). His knowledge – or really, the profound lack thereof – of female anatomy made him the laughing stock of the planet. But I wasn’t laughing. I was, and still am, furious. And not just because of what he said, but also because he is a member of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee.

That anyone could spew such obvious and awful nonsense about biology and anatomy and yet sit on the US Congress’s science committee is, simply put, an outrage.

A Republican congressman has dismissed evolution, the Big Bang theory, and embryology as "lies straight from the pit of hell."
Representative Paul Broun (R-Ga.), whose speech at Liberty Baptist Church in Georgia last September was posted on YouTube earlier this week, may not be unique among Republican congressmen in holding such ignorant views or even in stating them so publicly.

"According to the Bible, dinosaurs first existed around 6,000 years ago. God made the dinosaurs, along with the other land animals, on Day 6 of the Creation Week (Genesis I:20-25, 31). Adam and Eve were also made on Day 6—so dinosaurs lived at the same time as people, not separated by eons of time" (150).

How Republicans have the nerve to insist they are the majority of scientists is stunning. These are their beliefs. Science is a lying faith to them. It's as clear as the ever changing nose on your face.

You do understand that the Science and Technology is considered the Siberia of Congress, don't you? No one gets that assignment unless they are considered idiots by the rest of the people in their party.

Besides you, who said all Democrats are smart? Still can't believe you people put "magical creationists" on the US science committee. Republicans are nutz.

Darwin was British. We don't usually commemorate the lives of foreign scientists in the US unless we are trying to make a political statement. Why not cut through the BS and call for a "Sanger Day" to commemorate the life of American born Margaret Sanger who established the "Eugenics" movement and called for a "new race of humanity" based on Darwinism? Sanger's Eugenics was embraced by most liberal politicians including Hitler. It evolved into Planned Parenthood.

Your mere existence is ample evidence that Sanger's plan didn't work. LOLOLOL

Setting aside the flame wars for a bit, I'm puzzled by this constant need to commemorate days like this. Haven't we got anything better to do?

Setting aside the flame wars for a bit, I'm puzzled by this constant need to commemorate days like this. Haven't we got anything better to do?

This is one of rdeans' rants. Intelligent people do indeed have better things to do than read his drivel. Only 6% of rdean's posts made any sense - and those are wrong.

This is one of rdeans' rants. Intelligent people do indeed have better things to do than read his drivel. Only 6% of rdean's posts made any sense - and those are wrong.

It's intelligent people who commemorate one of the greatest scientific achievements in human history. Right wingers on this board don't believe that because they believe in "magic" and the "occult" over science and the study of the secrets of "reality". Secrets 94% of scientists are uncovering a little at a time every day.

Darwin was British. We don't usually commemorate the lives of foreign scientists in the US unless we are trying to make a political statement. Why not cut through the BS and call for a "Sanger Day" to commemorate the life of American born Margaret Sanger who established the "Eugenics" movement and called for a "new race of humanity" based on Darwinism? Sanger's Eugenics was embraced by most liberal politicians including Hitler. It evolved into Planned Parenthood.

Because "evolution" "biology" and "eugenics" are all words for the same thing.:cuckoo:

Planned Parenthood, that place millions of women's lives are saved from cancer screening. No wonder Republicans hate it. They only care for babies BEFORE they are born. After that? Fuck 'em. Right?

Evolution, biology and eugenics are what? "Words of the same thing"? Lots of hatred on the left. It tends to make them incoherent.

More of that regurgitated swill. Dynamic countries whose economies are growing, whether communist or democracy sees a "Golden Triad" made up of Government, Universities and Business. Republicans will never see this because they hate government, they believe education is for snobs and universities are hotbeds of liberalism. Their only economic policy is to throw money at business and the rich and hope they make jobs. They haven't of course. But if that's your ONLY policy, you just keep hoping and throwing money and getting exactly the same results.

Republicans running the government are a self fulfilling prophecy.

No they don't.

Another well thought out response. :clap2: :doubt:

Thank you

Rush Holt is a Physicist, and hardly an idiot, except to the Misinformation Voter.

Does that change the fact that no major piece of legislation has ever come out of Science and Technology? If you had half the brains you think you have you would either agree with me, or make a post that actually provides some evidence that you understood my point well enough to articulate a coherent argument to counter it.

Besides you, who said all Democrats are smart? Still can't believe you people put "magical creationists" on the US science committee. Republicans are nutz.

Me people? What me people are you talking about?

Did you forget I am not a Republican?

Again?

I wanted to ask, "Don't what", but I was afraid the answer would be, "Don't what, what?"

Dynamic countries do not involve their governments in business or science.

Bullshit. The British Empire would never have been created without government, business and science working hand-in-hand.

Tell you what, why don't prove your point by providing actual examples instead of just making a blanket statement? Is it because you never actually studied history?

Dynamic countries do not involve their governments in business or science.

Bullshit. The British Empire would never have been created without government, business and science working hand-in-hand.

Tell you what, why don't prove your point by providing actual examples instead of just making a blanket statement? Is it because you never actually studied history?

LOL!!! This from the guy who thinks "No they don't" is a substantive answer. If I haven't given examples, it's because I assumed the history of the British Empire was common knowledge. Since we were once part of that empire, a lot of its history is part and parcel of American history. Perhaps you're the one that requires a refresher course. Britain's whole point was to use its national power to further business interests. It's not like most of the country's they annexed were military threats. That's a given to anyone that knows a modicum of history.

LOL!!! This from the guy who thinks "No they don't" is a substantive answer. If I haven't given examples, it's because I assumed the history of the British Empire was common knowledge. Since we were once part of that empire, a lot of its history is part and parcel of American history. Perhaps you're the one that requires a refresher course. Britain's whole point was to use its national power to further business interests. It's not like most of the country's they annexed were military threats. That's a given to anyone that knows a modicum of history.

Did you get back to me with examples of all the ways the British government built the British empire by building a golden triangle of business, science, and government?

Didn't think so.

Did you get back to me with examples of all the ways the British government built the British empire by building a golden triangle of business, science, and government?

Didn't think so.

Really don't care what you think, since the truth isn't what you're after anyway. You need to educate yourself and not expect me to do it for you. Is "personal responsibility" only for the other guy? You're questioning what should be common knowledge for anyone who claims to know anything about history, especially the history of this country.

Didn't think so.

Really don't care what you think, since the truth isn't what you're after anyway. You need to educate yourself and not expect me to do it for you. Is "personal responsibility" only for the other guy? You're questioning what should be common knowledge for anyone who claims to know anything about history, especially the history of this country.

What I am after is the source of your version of history, I guess you don't have one.

Didn't think so.

What I am after is the source of your version of history, I guess you don't have one.

You're boring and stupid. Did you ever go to school or are you a self-taught windbag? Check out the East India Company, for example. How would they have achieved what they did without the Royal Navy backing them up?

You're boring and stupid. Did you ever go to school or are you a self-taught windbag? Check out the East India Company, for example. How would they have achieved what they did without the Royal Navy backing them up?

At the time, the Royal Navy was the most modern technologically and scientifically advance military in the world. English business funded overseas adventurism.

Forum List

Back