Yes or No on Question 3?

Should I vote yes or no on question 3: Ban greyhound racing

• Total voters
I think voting yes would REQUIRE one to go after horse racing as well. Agree with you there, focus on the treatment of the animal.

That is actually not true. Race horses are treated far better than greyhounds. I have a friend who rescued a greyhound that used to race and this dog has a lot of health problems from being fed improperly (almost nothing but protein to keep the muscle lean), housed improperly and mistreated to make them aggressive enough to race.

Greys are one of the most docile and loving dogs around and these assholes who race them don't love them or treat them properly.

It's inhumane the way these dogs are treated.

I'd think it would perhaps be better to pass regulations regarding the dogs' treatment. Seems a bit overbroad a measure, particularly when it's going to take away someone's livelihood that they've had for 40 years.

Are they going to try to stop horse racing next? Not being glib, but, unfortunately, I've had the experience of dealing with some of these purported animal protection groups and they'd rather the animals were dead than working.

:eek:

How is that "livelihood for 40 years" made? Cruelly starving animals while pushing them to their limits to chase a freakin' metal rabbit for the amusement of people who have no life.

The greyhounds WOULD BE better off dead than the way they get treated.

And trying to push for better treatment for the animals is like trying to tell pro athletes not to take steroids. Win at all costs. I'm not some crazy PETA freak by any means, but these ARE living creatures who live at the mercy of human beings.

And THIS is how we treat them?

:eek:

How is that "livelihood for 40 years" made? Cruelly starving animals while pushing them to their limits to chase a freakin' metal rabbit for the amusement of people who have no life.

The greyhounds WOULD BE better off dead than the way they get treated.

And trying to push for better treatment for the animals is like trying to tell pro athletes not to take steroids. Win at all costs. I'm not some crazy PETA freak by any means, but these ARE living creatures who live at the mercy of human beings.

And THIS is how we treat them?

The animal folk say the same things about every working animal. And they try to put all of them out of business.

You didn't vote Ravi.

I'm on the fence on this one. This poll/thread may honestly influence my vote.

The track owners claim to have cleaned up their act and say the cruelty charges are false.

They're full of shit. They will do whatever they have to in order to make that dog faster because the bottom line is winning and they have no regard for the consequences to the animal.

After all, it's just a dog. A visit to the breeder can solve replacing the slow ones.

The animal folk say the same things about every working animal. And they try to put all of them out of business.

Relativist argument. Draft animals have a purpose. They perform a task. With the usual exceptions, they are not mistreated. Mistreat them and they can't perform and you lose a means to your livelihood.

Besides, in the US, how many people actually use draft animals anymore? Even the real, ranch cowboys down here ride ATVs nowadays.

Gunny + Silence... of one mind on the Greyhound issue... now if only I could convince him to vote for Obama :lol:

Relativist argument. Draft animals have a purpose. They perform a task. With the usual exceptions, they are not mistreated. Mistreat them and they can't perform and you lose a means to your livelihood.

Besides, in the US, how many people actually use draft animals anymore? Even the real, ranch cowboys down here ride ATVs nowadays.

I'm not being relativist. I dealt with these loonies on an issue involving draft animals and they lied, and obfuscated and, ultimately, it was a class issue because they hated working class people having horses.

And if you live in a big city, chances are you have some carriage horses around...

I don't trust what they say. And I think the answer isn't going at the problem, whatever problem there is, with a hatchet when you need a scalpel.

And I say this as an animal lover and someone who would adopt one of those retired grayhounds if i could. So there...

heh... he does have kind of a billie joe armstrong thing going on... minus the eyeliner. ;)

Wow. You're so far off, jill. I mean, seriously, I really don't look anything like him. My hair usually isn't as long as that, either. I usually keep a pretty close fade, I just grew it out this spring and summer for shits and giggles. I called it redefining myself. It's since been cut again, though. My and the boy went and he got his first hair cut. Suffice it to say, he didn't enjoy it.

Forum List

Back