Yemen truce brings relief but no path to lasting peace

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Yemen has entered its third month of calm and cessation of fighting. A two-month truce that began on April 2 and expired on June 2 has been extended for two more months. Weapons have fallen silent, and rivals have engaged in UN-sponsored peace talks. The full implementation of the truce will hopefully pave the way for a permanent ceasefire and political negotiations on resolving the seven-year-old conflict.

Since 2015, Yemen has not seen a truce similar to the current one, which is still holding, improving the lives of civilians nationwide. This peace breakthrough is a priceless relief for civilians, a diplomatic success for the UN envoy for Yemen, and an opportunity for Yemen's newly formed leadership to prepare for a new chapter of conflict. But the pause of violence does not necessarily mean a passage to lasting peace and final consensus.

Read more: Yemen truce brings relief but no path to lasting peace

I don't expect this to last but maybe this is going to be something that has to be accomplished two months at a time.

Yemen is one of the many under reported horrors of the modern world. What those people have been suffering through for many years is unimaginable. I hope this really means a lasting peace for their country.

Yemen is one of the many under reported horrors of the modern world. What those people have been suffering through for many years is unimaginable. I hope this really means a lasting peace for their country.

The Saudis moved all their border villages back from the border 25 kilometers in 2000 because of the cross border attacks.

Yeman has always been a shithole within a shithole. They are the most backward of people in a backward world of Arabs.

The Saudis moved all their border villages back from the border 25 kilometers in 2000 because of the cross border attacks.
All I know is Yemen has been one of the most horrible places on Earth for many years. There are other places around the world that are violent and awful also, some are within the USA. Regardless of where they are, people deserve to live a peaceful life.

All I know is Yemen has been one of the most horrible places on Earth for many years. There are other places around the world that are violent and awful also, some are within the USA. Regardless of where they are, people deserve to live a peaceful life.

Al Qaeda moved in from Sudan and Afghanistan. Boko Haram moved in and the Al Houthi overthrew the government.

Forum List

Back