WY Senator argues for death penalty because it worked for Jesus!

Wyoming State Senator Invokes Jesus Dying to Defend Death Penalty

My question is, should states adopt a law that blocks total idiots from serving in the legislature?

Chick stole part of my argument.

I never express it because I generally loathe mixing religion and politics. However, for those who do like to oppose the death penalty for "religious reasons," I think it is only fair to ask them to consider who the most famous, most innocent person ever to be executed (crucified) was. . . and how prevalent the death penalty was during his time and how he (according to the Bible) never once spoke out against the death penalty, even as it was brought against himself.

My question is, should states adopt a law that blocks total idiots from serving in the legislature?

I never express it because I generally loathe mixing religion and politics. However, for those who do like to oppose the death penalty for "religious reasons," I think it is only fair to ask them to consider who the most famous, most innocent person ever to be executed (crucified) was. . . and how prevalent the death penalty was during his time and how he (according to the Bible) never once spoke out against the death penalty, even as it was brought against himself.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

LOL!

When he said that. . . . who was the only one there that was "without sin?"

LOL!

You said he never spoke out against the death penalty yet he prevented a religiously required stoning just to make a point. Let's see if you even know what that point was.

LOL!

You said he never spoke out against the death penalty yet he prevented a religiously required stoning just to make a point. Let's see if you even know what that point was.

Because he was a kochleffel?

LOL!

DERP. . .

Was he speaking out against the death penalty itself? Or was he merely making a point about hypocrites?

LOL!

DERP. . .

Was he speaking out against the death penalty itself? Or was he merely making a point about hypocrites?
He was calling the law hypocritical in it's requirement for vengeance. It was the same Hebrew law that he fought against numerous times and that eventually required Jesus be nailed to a cross. Capital punishment is vengeance cloaked in legal respectability. Need I remind you who is the sole owner of vengeance?

LOL!

DERP. . .

He was calling the law hypocritical in it's requirement for vengeance. It was the same Hebrew law that he fought against numerous times and that eventually required Jesus be nailed to a cross. Capital punishment is vengeance cloaked in legal respectability. Need I remind you who is the sole owner of vengeance?

Did he speak out against the punishment of the thieves who were being crucified with him?

no.

That's a little worse than someone casting stones at them.

It requires very little reflection to understand what is implicit in Jesus' teachings. There were many human institutions, practices and habits that went without express comment that are obviously contradicted.
The problem seems to be that even that little reflection is too much for most.

LOL!

DERP. . .

Did he speak out against the punishment of the thieves who were being crucified with him?

no.

We are talking about belief and interpretation here. Jesus spoke against vengeance often enough that it is hardly a stretch to apply that injunction to the Law itself. You can cloak the death penalty in the trappings of legal due process and religious acceptance but it is still vengeance. In any case my opposition to the death penalty is not based on Jesus' teachings but rather the old libertarian belief that the state should not have the power to take your life.

LOL!

DERP. . .

no.

We are talking about belief and interpretation here. Jesus spoke against vengeance often enough that it is hardly a stretch to apply that injunction to the Law itself. You can cloak the death penalty in the trappings of legal due process and religious acceptance but it is still vengeance. In any case my opposition to the death penalty is not based on Jesus' teachings but rather the old libertarian belief that the state should not have the power to take your life.

I don't factor religion into my views either.

The Constitution is the law of the land and it allows for the death penalty.

If you don't like it, don't execute anyone.

Sound familiar.

Forum List

Back