WTF is wrong with cops man...

Shattered said:
You seem to have no concept of her doing anything wrong. You seem to think people should be able to say and do as they please against anyone they please. Like it or not, cops ARE in a position of authority. If you don't want that authority used against you, don't pull the crap this woman did. It's just that simple. They warned her no less than 1/2 a dozen times what would happen if she didn't do as told.

You also seem to think that all cops are the same - again, you're wrong. Perhaps it's just the ones you've had to tangle with, just because of your attitude in general toward them?

He went from giving her a ticket to giving her electricity in less then 2 minutes. There was no talking. No patience from the cop. No responsibility for the power he held over that woman. The woman was a moron but did she deserve to be electrocuted? Can i electrocute someone for mouthing off to me if i warn them enough? No, none of us can. I guess we disagree because you dont have a problem at the root with the laws that they get you for. Speeding is not a capital crime. ITs a money making tool and for a cop to use that to inflict more punishment on a woman who had done enough to herself as it was is ridiculous. Write her the ticket. Tell her your meet her in court. Get on with your life.

I know not all cops are the same. Ive met some real nice ones. But why is it that when you know a cop, its less likely that you'll get in trouble for the petty tickets then if you dont? In townships where i know the cops by name and have mentioned it to the officer who pulled me over, he says "Oh hey tell him i said hi. Have a nice day." Im on my way. It only happened twice where i used it and both times it worked.

When he went to arrest her, he had to go into the truck to get her - she wouldn't get out.. She started screaming "Get your hands off me!" Do you <i>really</i> think she just sat there without fighting him, or do you think she took a swing to get him away from her? I don't know what light you watched that video in, but it was pretty dark - mostly you had their conversation to go on, and in that light, she was dead wrong.

She fought him from the beginning with her smart mouth, and just continued on throughout everything else. She got what she deserved.

You watch this video further, you hear her say "you pulled my brother over for no reason, ya'll are the worst" over and over. The video cuts out for 40 seconds while the officer is in his car, and when it comes back he's walking to her car to arrest her for a suspended license. The only thing I think he should have done was tell her that she had a suspended license and was going to be arrested beforehand.

But even still, if you have a suspended license, are dumb enough to drive with it, and then are dumb enough to actually give it to the cop, you need to have the 7 brain cells available to process that you're going to have problems. And when he tells you to get out of the car, that's when those 7 brain cells should start firing.

She full well knew she had a suspende license; you can tell by her reaction when he tells her. This woman is the cause of the problem, not a victim of the problem.

insein said:
He went from giving her a ticket to giving her electricity in less then 2 minutes. There was no talking. No patience from the cop. No responsibility for the power he held over that woman. The woman was a moron but did she deserve to be electrocuted? Can i electrocute someone for mouthing off to me if i warn them enough? No, none of us can. I guess we disagree because you dont have a problem at the root with the laws that they get you for. Speeding is not a capital crime. ITs a money making tool and for a cop to use that to inflict more punishment on a woman who had done enough to herself as it was is ridiculous. Write her the ticket. Tell her your meet her in court. Get on with your life.

I know not all cops are the same. Ive met some real nice ones. But why is it that when you know a cop, its less likely that you'll get in trouble for the petty tickets then if you dont? In townships where i know the cops by name and have mentioned it to the officer who pulled me over, he says "Oh hey tell him i said hi. Have a nice day." Im on my way. It only happened twice where i used it and both times it worked.

So, you're the cop.

What's the propper way to deal with a woman you pull over for speeding, with a broken tail light, not wearing her seatbelt, and is illegally driving with a suspended license, and from the start she completely questions the legitimacy of your work? What would "Insein the Cop" have done?

The ClayTaurus said:
So, you're the cop.

What's the propper way to deal with a woman you pull over for speeding, with a broken tail light, not wearing her seatbelt, and is illegally driving with a suspended license, and from the start she completely questions the legitimacy of your work? What would "Insein the Cop" have done?

I'm guessing invite her to tea to soothe her already frazzled nerves, and then let her go with what... 4 warnings?

Hagbard Celine said:
Do you think it's right to use force on people who "mouth off?" It kinda makes me feel like a hampster in a cage knowing that my police overlords can subdue me for little more than "mouthing off" to them.

I HAVE had a gun pulled on me and have been physically subdued by a cop for "mouthing off" before. He got physical with me before he even said anything to me. I think he was racist and was jealous of my socio-economic status so he thought he'd teach a cracka-a-lesson.

I think we definately have too much law enforcement personnel in this country. And yet a new study out by the recently kaputt 9/11 commission found that we are still not any safer than before 9/11.

What's the future going to look like? An armed gaurd on every corner? Whatever happened to the friendly neighborhood police officer from the Tom, Dick and Sally books? Now they wear combat boots and carry automatic weapons.

What did your dumbass say to the cop? Were you drunk?

I would like to see the cops integrating more into the neighborhood like the good old days, walking the streets and talking with the locals. The advent of patroling in cars has significantly hurt their image.

That doesn't make it excusable to act like this woman did, though. I was taught at a young age that, when you get pulled over, put both hands on your wheel and don't move until the officer comes to your window. Don't give hiim any reason to suspect you're digging for a gun when you're looking for your license. You turn off the radio. You put out your cigarette. You don't talk on your phone. If possible, pull over on the left side of the road, so the cop isn't exposed to traffic. You most certainly do not open your door or try to get out of your car.

When the cops asks for license and registration, you check with him. "My license is in my pocket, my registration is in my glove compartment, can I get them?" If people learned there is a way to interact with the police, they'd have a lot less problems.

This is all very reflective of how society's attitude toward authority has changed. Kids talk back to, and even physically assault, teachers, Cops receive more disrespect than nearly any profession I know.

How many of us, when we were kids, would feel bad when an adult, ANY ADULT, told us to quit goofing off (in the store, etc) - it didn't have to be our parents.

How many of us - including today - address people of authority as sir and ma'am?

This woman had no respect for authority, not just the cop.

A police officer says to do something, you do it. Plain and simple.

Seriously - who in their right mind shows disrespect and argues with a police officer.

I have been hassled by cops, once when I was 14 it was even a case of profiling. They stopped me because all some "eye witness" had to go on was "hippy" so me and my older sister get stopped, we have to wait their with the cop for half an hour so they can get the witness to ID us, witness says we are not dirty enough, we are free to go.

My oppinion, he has the gun, the taser, the night stick, the mace, and an over active pituitary gland: yes sir, no sir, not a problem sir.

I get pulled over ALOT!!!!
one of my fav excuses for speeding on the highway
is that I have to #2 REAL BAD and I'm looking for a gas station.

Insein,

I don't know if it is simply because of your bad experience with the police officers you have encountered, or if you are simply exceptionally wary of authority...but I believe you are (deliberately or unintentionally) overlooking a whole bunch of factors in this event.

The woman was pulled over for a number of infractions. 51 in a 35 is fast. 35 zones are often fairly residential...at 51 miles per hour she is not just speeding, she is pretty darn close to reckless endagerment.

In addition to going almost 20 miles over the posted speed limit , she is driving with a broken windshield, which would hinder her ability to see what was in front of her car...incredibly dangerous.

Her car also has a broken taillight and she is driving without a seatbelt.

Before the police officer knows anything else he knows that she is an irresponsible woman who does not care for her vehicle, her own safety, the safety of others or the laws of the state she is in.

Why does he know this? Because he is a police officer, who has to make snap judgements about people every day in order to stay safe and alive, and keep others safe and alive.

With this in mind, he is already wary as he approaches the car. The woman immediately begins belligerantly...stating that she has done nothing wrong and insinuating that she is being pulled over because the police officer is a racist.

This would send off more warning bells in a police officer's head. The woman is going to state that she has done nothing, when it is perfectly obvious she is guilty of several infractions...and she is going to make it a race issue...which means the police officer knows he has to do everything right...or risk ending up defending himself in court...

So not only does the police officer in question know that this woman is a) a criminal b) a danger to society and herself and c) a liar, he also knows that she is a race-baiter and he must do his job properly.

So he is remarkably polite (as I would expect from any public servant) to this woman as she insults him and ignores him. Count how many times he asks politely for her license and registration...count how many times he politely says "Please shut the door," rather than simply tazering her for making threatening gestures by getting out of her car when she was told not to...he deals with her politely and respectfully throughout their interaction.

He finally gets her information..he POLITELY informs her that she is being pulled over for a myriad of reasons, and then goes to check back at his car...where he finds out..surprise suprise...that not only has she broken the law umpteen times today...but she is also driving with an suspended license.

He returns to the car and asks her to step out of the car...several times. She states that she is going to make a phone call...he asks her several more times to get out of the car. At that point, he pulls out the tazer, announces that if she doesn't get out of the car he will use it...he warns her of this several more times...she is giving information about her location to her boyfriend...from this point until the tazering we can neither see nor here what has happened....

However...

While you immediately jump to the conclusion that the cop tazered her for the sick fun of it...I, who have a bit more faith in the men and women who agree to put themselves in harms way every day for no money, very little respect, and the chance of being killed everyday...see it this way...

Was she grouping around in her bags at all? Was she rummaging for something? Reaching for something? Did she gesture at the cop and that gesture was mistaken as a hostile action?

The cop knows that this woman is a criminal with no regard for the law. He knows that she has been openly hostile to him since the first moment of their interactions...he knows that she knows she is about to be arrested...

If this woman makes a move of attacking him or the other officer...or makes a move that the police officer interprets as going for an unseeable item in the car (for instance, a gun or other weapon)...then that officer has EVERY RIGHT to exercise non-lethal force in tazering her.

Is it pretty? Nope. Her screams are terrible.

Perhaps she should have obeyed the law by not speeding. Not driving with a broken windshield. Not driving with a broken tail light. Not driving without a seatbelt. Perhaps she should have listened to the police officer and complying with his completely legal demands. Perhaps she should have not been driving completely illegally. Not followed the police officers orders when she was being placed under arrest. etc. etc. etc.

What surprises me, Insein, is how unbelievably forgiving you are being to this woman who is so obviously in the wrong in so many ways...while being so unbelievably UNforgiving of the police officer who followed protocol, treated the person with respect, articulated his demands clearly, issued no unreasonable demands, and finally resorted to non-lethal force after requesting the person comply willingly numerous times.

We, as a functioning society, need to have a police force. In order for a police force to function, law abiding citizens (and even the citizens who occassionally commit small infractions like speeding) need to respect those officers who are doing their jobs legitimately and comply with their reasonable requests when they are given.

The police officer in question made nothing but reasonable requests...and he was confronted with nothing but a completely unreasonable woman. While I respect and completely support your desire to monitor those with authority...I think in this case, the officer wielded his authority appropriately given the situation at hand.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
well-said Gem - although the 'cracked windshield being unsafe' and 'tail light' are sorta invalid. Unless you could see how damaged the windshield was, it's quite like it woulda been fine to drive with. Tail light? not that big of a deal either. If somebody can't tell a vehicle is slowing down or turning, and HITS the vehicle, the driver who couldn't tell should have their license revoked.

:)

Gem said:
What surprises me, Insein, is how unbelievably forgiving you are being to this woman who is so obviously in the wrong in so many ways...while being so unbelievably UNforgiving of the police officer who followed protocol, treated the person with respect, articulated his demands clearly, issued no unreasonable demands, and finally resorted to non-lethal force after requesting the person comply willingly numerous times.

We, as a functioning society, need to have a police force. In order for a police force to function, law abiding citizens (and even the citizens who occassionally commit small infractions like speeding) need to respect those officers who are doing their jobs legitimately and comply with their reasonable requests when they are given.

The police officer in question made nothing but reasonable requests...and he was confronted with nothing but a completely unreasonable woman. While I respect and completely support your desire to monitor those with authority...I think in this case, the officer wielded his authority appropriately given the situation at hand.
Saving the best for last; these three paragraphs state it pretty well.

dmp said:
well-said Gem - although the 'cracked windshield being unsafe' and 'tail light' are sorta invalid. Unless you could see how damaged the windshield was, it's quite like it woulda been fine to drive with. Tail light? not that big of a deal either. If somebody can't tell a vehicle is slowing down or turning, and HITS the vehicle, the driver who couldn't tell should have their license revoked.

Cracked windshield I'm with you on, and people should be able to tell that a car is stopping without lights... but tail lights need to be working. Especially when it comes to merging and other such things.

dmp said:

Here, you get ticketed for both... So, I'd say it's pretty valid.. Tho, not sure what their state laws are..

Here, you will also get fined if your windows are too dirty. (shrug)

The ClayTaurus said:
Cracked windshield I'm with you on, and people should be able to tell that a car is stopping without lights... but tail lights need to be working. Especially when it comes to merging and other such things.

Right - but people need to look for OTHER indications of what's happening. We're conditioned to react to lights - despite what the vehicle is actually doing...that's a problem IMO.

Shattered said:
Here, you get ticketed for both... So, I'd say it's pretty valid.. Tho, not sure what their state laws are..

Where I'm from, you can get a ticket for all sorts of shit. Usually it won't stick, but it serves as a deterrent as going to court to clear yourself is a hasssle: don't be a dick to the cop, and the cop won't write you a ticket for petty shit.

Shattered said:

I'm not saying they aren't valid tickets (they are BS add-on tix IMO), I'm saying they may not be legitimate 'safety concerns'.

The ClayTaurus said:
Where I'm from, you can get a ticket for all sorts of shit. Usually it won't stick, and it serves as a deterrent: don't be a dick to the cop, and the cop won't write you a ticket for petty shit.

DING! DING! DING! :D

Now, only if Insein would understand that... :bow2:

Forum List

Back