WTF are 'African Americans'?

I hope the author of this thread is not trying to make a joke. This is of course the politically correct way to reffer to black people born in America.
Tell it to my old teacher. He family was from Haiti, not Africa. She wasn't 'African American' and she didn't appreciate the closet racism entailed in the term.

So a black immigrant from England is called an African-American?

I see where this thread is headed, I'm not gonna play that game.

I'm not playing a game. I don't generally participate in the race relations threads, nor do I support the majority of the views expressed thus far in this topic.

For the record, I am color-blind. I judge people on their merit.

It does make me wonder how black people can decry racism when they are so adamant on making race an issue in something so simple as holding on to the "African" American designation.

I'm not playing a game. I don't generally participate in the race relations threads, nor do I support the majority of the views expressed thus far in this topic.

It does make me wonder how black people can decry racism when they are so adamant on making race an issue in something so simple as holding on to the "African" American designation.

I've learned that most people that say they're color blind are NOT.

I'll be sure to let the people in my inner circle know. :lol:

I'll be sure to let the people in my inner circle know. :lol:

You do that.

Wouldn't be better to be American Africans, shouldn't America come first?
How 'bout just calling them Americans?

Because they weren't considered Americans when the Constitution was signed. They weren't considered "American" enough to play major league baseball until sometime in the 1940's (circa); they fought on American and allied fronts in both World Wars, but were segregated into all black units; they were kept segregated in schools until a USSC decision in 1954; and they still are not free to move into certain American neighborhoods without being ostracized, openly or subtly. So they distinguish themselves as Africans first (since white Americans have historically not recognized them as Americans because of the color of their skin) and Americans second, because they are. Ergo, African-Americans.

Next?

I hope the author of this thread is not trying to make a joke. This is of course the politically correct way to reffer to black people born in America.
Tell it to my old teacher. He family was from Haiti, not Africa. She wasn't 'African American' and she didn't appreciate the closet racism entailed in the term.

I've never heard of a Haitian being called an African-American, nor a Jamacian. Even black Puerto Ricans, mixed blood, call themselves Puerto Ricans, not African Americans. Obviously, you've spent zero time outside your lilly white community.

What 'da f is a JBeukema?

I'm more curious to know the meaning of his signature photo.

2cf1f8d39e0698fbf0c2be15e9fa8cfb_M.jpg

It's just commonly used, like "liberal" has come to mean anyone left of center.

Wouldn't be better to be American Africans, shouldn't America come first?
How 'bout just calling them Americans?

Because they weren't considered Americans when the Constitution was signed.

It's 2011. Get over it. I don't hear the Italians and the Chinese crying.
They weren't considered "American" enough to play major league baseball until sometime in the 1940's (circa)

It's been 70 years. Move on.
; they fought on American and allied fronts in both World Wars, but were segregated into all black units; they were kept segregated in schools until a USSC decision in 1954;

It's been 57 years. If they don't want to be Americans, why did they complain?
and they still are not free to move into certain American neighborhoods without being ostracized, openly or subtly.

And? Nor can I.
So they distinguish themselves as Africans first

Not as people? And for the record, it was Whites who distinguished them as Africans first.

Your next bit of closet racism?

I've never heard of a Haitian being called an African-American, nor a Jamacian.

So it's not the PC name for blacks any more? Where's the Haitian box under Race on the Census?

I've never heard of a Haitian being called an African-American, nor a Jamacian.

So it's not the PC name for blacks any more? Where's the Haitian box under Race on the Census?

If you don't fit into a box, you're just an 'other'.

Forum List

Back