WOW Big Govt gone wrong: Vulture nests in yard, endangers kids; Govt: CANT touch it!!

These people have a magnificent opportunity to learn something, but killing the birds is more convenient. How strange. Now wonder we are becoming an incurious and thuggish people.

It is THEIR property! They should be able to utilize it without fear that their children will be harmed.
As far as an opportunity to learn, the kids could also learn something about avian anatomy.

"
They vomit when spooked and defecate on themselves to cool down from the summer heat.
They tear up pool covers and boat seats.
They ransack Brevard's main landfill west of Cocoa.
They threaten massive damage to aircraft wings, engines and windows, reports Florida Today.
One decided to use a pool as its personal birdbath."

vultures-thumb.jpg

"Vultures do not suffer from botulism or other illnesses caused by the bacteria in rancid meat because their nervous system and immune systems are specially adapted for their particularly gruesome diet; however, the pathogens found in their droppings may present a health hazard to humans and other animals. Vulture droppings are also unsightly and smell unpleasant. They may be loaded with fungus and parasites that carry histoplasmosis, encephalitis, salmonella, meningitis and other diseases. Where only a few turkey vultures roost, this is unlikely to pose a threat; however, where they flock in large numbers, it can become a problem – especially if the flock locates itself in close proximity to a public water or food source. "

Vultures: Alabama Wildlife Damage Management

Black vulture nests in Jedburg family’s yard; federal law says she and the eggs can’t be moved | The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment

This one just blew me away. So this family has a black vulture, with razor talons and a 5 foot wingspan, nesting under their kids play table, in their own backyard. It shits in their pool, and has made a home under their table. The family, and neighbors, have small toddlers, and probably pets, and anyone that knows vultures down here knows that a small child CAN be hurt, badly, by these birds. Not to mention the bird shitting in their pool.

SO....they ask the govt if THEY, themselves, can move the bird, have it caught, whatever. They do NOT want it killed, just.....moved. Away from their backyard for the summer. Out from under their kid's play table, and away from their pool, and allow them to enjoy their yard for the summer season.

What does the govt say? NO. Not only can you not move it, you cant even touch it, or disturb it, or do anything!!! They have to bow down to that bird. It is protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act says that a person cannot "mess with" a nesting black vulture, at all, in any way. Can't move it. Scare it, kill it, "shooo" it, nothing. Just let the bird have your yard for the summer.

So, folks, if an animal decides your yard will be it's new home, before you do anything, check with Big Poppa Government, because theres a good chance that animal is your new roommate until it decides it wants to leave your home!
The only permission I would need is, NO ONES. Safety of my kids trump the nasty birds survival. With shotgun in hand I would take care of the problem. Something is terribly wrong when people care more for the bird then the safety of their kids.

These people have a magnificent opportunity to learn something, but killing the birds is more convenient. How strange. Now wonder we are becoming an incurious and thuggish people.

Good point but these people are allegedly being threatened. I think trimming the tree, exposing the nest, might quicken the relocation.

If it were me, I'd protect the birds. They won't be there for long. There is doing something because it is the right thing to do. Letting a couple of birds take care of and provide for their young is the least we can do and should do, without being told to do it. I"d feed them and keep the kids away.
My kids take precedent, shoot the bird.

By denying citizens their property rights in favor of protected species, I think the government has been extremely short sighted and counter productive. Most people these days, if they find a 'protected' critter or whatever on their property quietly get rid of it lest the government dictate to them what they can and cannot do with their property. Before government became so militant, property owners liked having something around that was unique and special, unless of course it threatened their family, pets, or was destroying property, etc.

I still think about all those folks in California who got burned out because the state wouldn't let them clear the brush around their homes lest they disturb the habitat of some protected rat that had been observed in the area.

The ranchers in New Mexico strenuously objected to the reintroduction of the Mexican wolf into the area which then became a protected species. But the wolves were ill equipped to survive in the wild so were surviving on the calves and lambs from which they would take one meal and then kill another for the next meal. When it became obvious the ranchers were quietly taking care of the wolves themselves--some would pitch the removed tracking collars on top of a semi truck and let the environmentalists track that--the compassionate environmentalists took a new tack. In an attempt to teach the wolves to hunt wild game, they would severely injure a deer or elk and turn it loose in hopes the wolves would see it as food. Isn't that special.

I swear we have all gone mad.

I had a pair of red-tailed hawks take up residence in my back yard several years ago. They figured all my chickens made a great menu. After I lost abut 30 birds those 2 became coyote food, regardless of their 'status'.

The vulture would be a carcass and no one would EVER know...

Black vulture nests in Jedburg family’s yard; federal law says she and the eggs can’t be moved | The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment

This one just blew me away. So this family has a black vulture, with razor talons and a 5 foot wingspan, nesting under their kids play table, in their own backyard. It shits in their pool, and has made a home under their table. The family, and neighbors, have small toddlers, and probably pets, and anyone that knows vultures down here knows that a small child CAN be hurt, badly, by these birds. Not to mention the bird shitting in their pool.

SO....they ask the govt if THEY, themselves, can move the bird, have it caught, whatever. They do NOT want it killed, just.....moved. Away from their backyard for the summer. Out from under their kid's play table, and away from their pool, and allow them to enjoy their yard for the summer season.

What does the govt say? NO. Not only can you not move it, you cant even touch it, or disturb it, or do anything!!! They have to bow down to that bird. It is protected under the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act says that a person cannot "mess with" a nesting black vulture, at all, in any way. Can't move it. Scare it, kill it, "shooo" it, nothing. Just let the bird have your yard for the summer.

So, folks, if an animal decides your yard will be it's new home, before you do anything, check with Big Poppa Government, because theres a good chance that animal is your new roommate until it decides it wants to leave your home!

Now they are probably being monitored on a regular basis to make sure they don't do anything to the vulture. The people would no doubt end up in jail if the vulture would meet with some unfortunate accident, like being sprayed with a power hose (they'll know next time to do this first and not call anyone). If another animal got in the yard and attacked the vulture, would they be expected to protect it?

This is a great example of how government works. They force people to make big sacrifices for the vultures among us.

And some of it is so assinine. We have seen New Mexico farmers go bankrupt because they were denied river irrigation water that New Mexicans have been using for a thousand years. Long before there was an EPA or any environmental controls, the silvery minnow, an apparently very rare species, has lived and thrived in the middle Rio Grande near Albuquerque. The responsible naturalists report that in periods of severe drought when the water flow is reduced to a trickle, the minnows, like the catfish, bury their eggs and perhaps themselves in the mud. And then when the rains and snow melt returns, there are minnows and catfish again in abundance. But the environmentalists, with the power of the Federal government behind them, think it is now necessary to drive farmers out of business to save that minnow.

Sort of like the spotted owl hysteria some years ago. We had to decimate whole industries to save that owl that could exist only in old growth forest. At least it had to have old growth forest until spotted owl nests were observed in barn rafters, stuck in the corners of microwave towers, and one thriving in a K-mart sign.

It is absolutely nuts.

Last edited:
It isn't thuggish to refuse to share your living space with carnivorous carrion birds.

Do you know how vultures defend themselves? They projectile vomit.

I guess they should have thought about that before they started feeding her.

I had a pair of red-tailed hawks take up residence in my back yard several years ago. They figured all my chickens made a great menu. After I lost abut 30 birds those 2 became coyote food, regardless of their 'status'.

The vulture would be a carcass and no one would EVER know...

My coop has a wire top. The pair of Cooper's hawk in the tree 100 feet away sometimes perch on the hen house roof, but the chicken don't even squawk at them anymore.
The wire goes 18" below grade as well. That discourages the coyotes.

It isn't thuggish to refuse to share your living space with carnivorous carrion birds.

Do you know how vultures defend themselves? They projectile vomit.

I guess they should have thought about that before they started feeding her.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

All of us do dumb things sometimes. How many of us have fed the emaciated feral cat out of pity only to discover the folly of that when we became innundated with feral cats? So should we be stuck with the result of our folly? Or call the humane association to come collect the cats that we cannot afford to feed and are producing unacceptable risks?

Of course it is tempting to offer a treat to a wild creature out of interest or just for fun and then only later discover that the consequences for that were not at all what we intended.

The point here is not that the people fed the bird. At the time of course they had no idea what the long term consequences of that would be or what risks they would be inviting for their children and/or ability to use their own property.

There have always been, will always be, and should be consequences for the choices we make. But nobody should be held hostage by an uninvited wild creature on their own property. And the State should not tell us that we have no right to protect our property, our peace, our pets, our loved ones not necessarily in that order.

This is government idiocy run amok. Lesson learned- never get the government involved in your life voluntarily.

Case in point- I had a problem with Gophers a few years ago. The little bastards were destroying my yard. I contacted a contractor to get rid of the little pricks - I figured poison would be the easiest way. He informed me that it was ILLEGAL to poison a gopher, and that in fact it was against the law to use "lethal force" against a gopher (or rat, etc..). He would need to humanely "trap" the creatures, and release them to the wild. I laughed my ass off, bought some poison the next day- shoved it down the holes they drilled all over my yard, and I've never had a problem since.

"We cannot authorize" does NOT mean criminal penalties. There may be, but I can think of several ways to get the bird away without harming the bird.

Correct. The OP exhibits an irrational overreaction to a situation where a reasonable resolution is possible. Instead of exploring ways to find a remedy agreeable to all, the OP contrives rightwing partisan nonsense about ‘big government’ determined to violate our civil liberties.

Pathetic.

So these idiots encouraged the birds to hang around, INCLUDING FEEDING THEM, created a hospitable venue for them,

and then when the birds take them up on their offer, these idiots change their mind and freak out and want to destroy the birds' newfound home?

Too bad. Consider it a lesson how on how not to be an idiot.

Yet more proof of how so-called "liberals" are not the slightest bit liberal at all.

Forum List

Back