Would You Pay More For A Product To Help Workers

Would You Pay More For A Product If It Helped Workers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We all love our cheap goods, but very few of us ever stop and think about how those cheap goods come about. There is a price to pay for those low prices. Would you pay more for a product if you knew it would help Workers?

I understand the point you're trying to make and I agree with the sentiment but I don't think paying more will help workers for two reasons.

There's no guarantee that the money will reach the workers and I don't think people will ever act against their own self-interest by paying more than they have to., at least not on a regular basis.

And what is stopping these under paid masses from continuing their education so they can make more money?

Why is it up to me to pay an over inflated price for something just to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves?

You're already paying much more. If Business won't pay, you the Taxpayer will. Americans should stop looking down their noses at these Workers. They're actually much more important than most think. They have value. They provide their skills and services to the masses who want and need them. They should not be looked at as being less than human. That mentality has led us to this Slave Labor nightmare.

If they have skills and provide valuable services, they are not underpaid. It's the unskilled who provides nominal services that are paid less. That we have created an entitlement class out of those who prefer not to better themselves is not the fault of public.

I try to buy Made in America as often as possible. Finding things made in America can be quite the challenge.
It wasn't that long ago that buying anything made outside the US was a sign of being poor. Now a huge majority of goods are made offshore, which interestingly coincides with the fact that the American middle class is getting poorer and poorer to the point that actually having a middle class in America has become the American Dream.
Buy American, spend a little more money and help strengthen America by strengthening the middle class. That's what I do. With a weakened middle class, America is weakened.

And what is stopping these under paid masses from continuing their education so they can make more money?

Why is it up to me to pay an over inflated price for something just to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves?

Education requires money, which people can't get if they have jobs that don't pay them a decent wage. Once you pay rent, and buy food, and pay the bills, how do you have enough left over to go to school?

The government has many programs for low income people to get a college education. I know a girl that is working part time, and is becoming an attorney for no money out of pocket. She is paid every quarter by the government for her classes, and her books and still has money leftover.

Another person is on a similar program and will have their bachelors degree in business in March. She get $3,500 a quarter, plus $1000 a month, for part time schooling. She has money left over to use it how she sees fit. She has a full time job and makes a lot more than minimum wage and still qualifies.

So I have no clue as to what you are talking about, can you explain please?
Exactly, or you could join the military like I did and take advantage of the education benefits they offer.

If you want an education bad enough, you'll find a way to get it. You won't sit around making excuses for why you're not.

I prefer to shop local and support small businesses and it does cost more, but the relationships with in the community is well worth it. The self-employed are a tough group of people that really care about their community.

I've been essentially "self-employed" since 1984 and have a pretty good client base of similar locally owned small businesses. I get a good laugh on this board from time to time with folks who represent that they are businessmen and act like they are hedge fund managers. You are spot on about small businessmen being tough where they need to be and caring about their community. I'll add a few notes about why I patronize them.

In general your small retailer knows where his product came from and how it is made intimately. There is no corporate buyer, they do it themselves. If something is wrong, they hear about it fast, refund or replace to protect their reputation, and find out how the source up the supply chain stands behind their product. If you have questions while buying, they usually know.

When you go to a small firm professional it's all about reputation. They don't use TV ads (except for some lawyers) and depend on referrals from existing customers as their main method of getting new clients. They do not nickel-and-dime you, they ask you to send them a new client. You always know the people who are actually doing the work. The foundation of their marketing plan is the concept that there is not enough money for advertising to replace clients lost by bad service; client service IS part of marketing.

Small businessmen network. If you need a good repairman, forget Angie's List, ask your florist or barber who they use.

Making enough money to stay in business is a requirement, but small businesses are not in it for the money. Most have no expectation of ever being rich. They want a comfortable living where they have more control over their working life and get a sense of personal satisfaction from their work that they find lacking as employees. If they make it for five years, they feel like they are resilient enough to adapt to most things life and the market can throw at them, and if their industry dies, they could make it in another.

I try to buy Made in America as often as possible. Finding things made in America can be quite the challenge.
It wasn't that long ago that buying anything made outside the US was a sign of being poor. Now a huge majority of goods are made offshore, which interestingly coincides with the fact that the American middle class is getting poorer and poorer to the point that actually having a middle class in America has become the American Dream.
Buy American, spend a little more money and help strengthen America by strengthening the middle class. That's what I do. With a weakened middle class, America is weakened.

I try to buy only things made without Union Labor. I'd rather pay MORE for something made in a foreign country than buy what was made with American union labor.

I try to buy only things made without Union Labor. I'd rather pay MORE for something made in a foreign country than buy what was made with American union labor.

You know shipyards and overseas shipping are controlled by unions. So the only people you are hurting is working Americans and their family.

You know shipyards and overseas shipping are controlled by unions. So the only people you are hurting is working Americans and their family.

Very true, the means of foreign distribution is controlled by unions. But, you have to start someplace. I intend to hurt unions and those who work for unions as much as I can. Which is infinitesimal, but any small thing, any tiny act of rebellion is worth it.

Education requires money, which people can't get if they have jobs that don't pay them a decent wage. Once you pay rent, and buy food, and pay the bills, how do you have enough left over to go to school?

whoa, back in time and even today many people have done it...some worked two, three jobs....Oh the horror of that I know is tough for a lot people...
so if you can't make it, must be YOU..nobody is here (a job, government or the taxpayers) to help you get though life...try working harder at it

Last edited:
...Education requires money, which people can't get if they have jobs that don't pay them a decent wage. Once you pay rent, and buy food, and pay the bills, how do you have enough left over to go to school?
whoa, back in time and even today many people have done it...some worked two, three jobs....Oh the horror of that I know is tough for a lot people...so if you can't make it, must be YOU...
--because it's not holding back the the rest of America:
cmpltcollg.png

whoa, back in time and even today many people have done it...some worked two, three jobs....Oh the horror of that I know is tough for a lot people...
so if you can't make it, must be YOU..nobody is here (a job, government or the taxpayers) to help you get though life...try working harder at it

My dad served in the Army for 18 months, active combat for 12 months in Germany during WWII, the Red Cross brought him home for a family emergency. He was not eligible for any veterans benefits because he did not serve two years. Just recently the laws changed and he is now eligible for benefits. My dad work hard his whole life, was dirt poor from a family of 10 kids. He went to work pulling green chain and saw a posting at work for an electrician's position. He told the foreman if he'd let him have the position, he'd get his license. My dad found a course and went to night classes to get his license. But it was all on dad. Today, it is all supposed to be given. I think my dad appreciates what he earned on his own.

Paying more than something is worth fits Bastiat's Parable of the Broken Window. Overpaying for something means one has less means to pay for other goods and services, so the benefit is an illusion. Someone providing a real value will suffer due to misallocation of resources.

Have you ever witnessed the anger of the good shopkeeper, James Goodfellow, when his careless son has happened to break a pane of glass? If you have been present at such a scene, you will most assuredly bear witness to the fact that every one of the spectators, were there even thirty of them, by common consent apparently, offered the unfortunate owner this invariable consolation – "It is an ill wind that blows nobody good. Everybody must live, and what would become of the glaziers if panes of glass were never broken?"

Now, this form of condolence contains an entire theory, which it will be well to show up in this simple case, seeing that it is precisely the same as that which, unhappily, regulates the greater part of our economical institutions.

Suppose it cost six francs to repair the damage, and you say that the accident brings six francs to the glazier's trade – that it encourages that trade to the amount of six francs – I grant it; I have not a word to say against it; you reason justly. The glazier comes, performs his task, receives his six francs, rubs his hands, and, in his heart, blesses the careless child. All this is that which is seen.

But if, on the other hand, you come to the conclusion, as is too often the case, that it is a good thing to break windows, that it causes money to circulate, and that the encouragement of industry in general will be the result of it, you will oblige me to call out, "Stop there! Your theory is confined to that which is seen; it takes no account of that which is not seen."

It is not seen that as our shopkeeper has spent six francs upon one thing, he cannot spend them upon another. It is not seen that if he had not had a window to replace, he would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or added another book to his library. In short, he would have employed his six francs in some way, which this accident has prevented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

If you have three jobs, how do you find time to sleep while you are constantly working and studying? Or do you expect people to live on a few hours of sleep a night?

If you have three jobs, how do you find time to sleep while you are constantly working and studying? Or do you expect people to live on a few hours of sleep a night?

It's called life, you just do. That is life, if you want it bad enough, you just do.

Paying more than something is worth fits Bastiat's Parable of the Broken Window. Overpaying for something means one has less means to pay for other goods and services, so the benefit is an illusion. Someone providing a real value will suffer due to misallocation of resources.

Have you ever witnessed the anger of the good shopkeeper, James Goodfellow, when his careless son has happened to break a pane of glass? If you have been present at such a scene, you will most assuredly bear witness to the fact that every one of the spectators, were there even thirty of them, by common consent apparently, offered the unfortunate owner this invariable consolation – "It is an ill wind that blows nobody good. Everybody must live, and what would become of the glaziers if panes of glass were never broken?"

Now, this form of condolence contains an entire theory, which it will be well to show up in this simple case, seeing that it is precisely the same as that which, unhappily, regulates the greater part of our economical institutions.

Suppose it cost six francs to repair the damage, and you say that the accident brings six francs to the glazier's trade – that it encourages that trade to the amount of six francs – I grant it; I have not a word to say against it; you reason justly. The glazier comes, performs his task, receives his six francs, rubs his hands, and, in his heart, blesses the careless child. All this is that which is seen.

But if, on the other hand, you come to the conclusion, as is too often the case, that it is a good thing to break windows, that it causes money to circulate, and that the encouragement of industry in general will be the result of it, you will oblige me to call out, "Stop there! Your theory is confined to that which is seen; it takes no account of that which is not seen."

It is not seen that as our shopkeeper has spent six francs upon one thing, he cannot spend them upon another. It is not seen that if he had not had a window to replace, he would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or added another book to his library. In short, he would have employed his six francs in some way, which this accident has prevented.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

I pay what it is worth, Costco had a set of tires today for $704. I went to a local tire shop, they had the same set of tires for $835, his cost for the tires was over $704. I asked what he could do, he knock $35 off, I figure I am helping a small business and to me, that is it's worth. I determined the worth. We as consumers have the right to determine the worth of a product, and it includes the product and who we will have to deal with, after the purchase.

We all love our cheap goods, but very few of us ever stop and think about how those cheap goods come about. There is a price to pay for those low prices. Would you pay more for a product if you knew it would help Workers?

not until all unions are out of the equation.

Forum List

Back