Would Jesus condemn or condone the OWS movement?

Would Jesus condemn or condone the OWS movement?

• Total voters
A man who does not work, does not eat. Jesus may say that hunger is a great motivator to work.

Paul made the original comment in 2 Thessalonians. Jesus said this:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in.

(Matthew 25:35)

Thou shall not steal. Demanding that wealthy people give up their money, or have it taken from them is stealing.

Jesus said: "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

(Matthew 19:24)

Your body is a temple, keep it clean.

Jesus said: Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

Matthew 23:27-33

Jesus would stand against any unjust laws.

Possibly true.

Jesus would not tolerate the violence they have committed, he would cast out the rapist or have them stoned, the disrespect for all authority would not be tolerated, the demand to be let out of loan contracts would not be tolerated.

Really?

What Jesus actually did: "And He made a scourge of cords, and drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen; and He poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables; and to those who were selling the doves He said, “Take these things away; stop making My Father’s house a place of business.”" (John 2:15)

I'm not that good on religion.

Clearly.

Jesus was very interested in the temporal world.

That's the only reason for being concerned about the poor.

"Render unto Caeser"..... look it up someday and then get back to us.

Except that's a single statement-and we're talking about Jesus' message more broadly.

"Render under Caesar" is one of those attempted traps a poster was speaking of earlier. His response was an evasion of that trap. Not an exhortation for his followers.

OWS is criticizing corrupt power, and saying that the rich need to be more aware of the rest of the world.

Sound familiar?
A corruption of scripture that seems to fit.

"For God so loved the world... that He did not send a committee."

Here's probably a better question:

Would the Occupados Condone or Condemn Jesus?

Relevant cartoon:

the-new-jesus1.jpg

Currently in a dead heat at 8 to 8.

And there are several posters, myself included, that have opined in the thread but have yet to pick a side on this one. What does that say, if anything? :eusa_think: :dunno: :eusa_think:

Currently in a dead heat at 8 to 8.

And there are several posters, myself included, that have opined in the thread but have yet to pick a side on this one. What does that say, if anything? :eusa_think: :dunno: :eusa_think:

That's because the survey was poorly constructed. Jesus wouldn't have been involved.

You don't know? Is it really that difficult?

Has he ever advocated anything OWS has done?

It is easier for a camel to get throught the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven.

Q. Jesus, what must I do to get into heaven?
A. Give away all your possessions and follow me.
Outcome - the man walks away never to return.

He would agree with the spirit of the protest. But not the actions of the protest.
So overall...Jesus would stand with the protesters, making a change within.

It is easier for a camel to get throught the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to get into heaven.

He would agree with the spirit of the protest. But not the actions of the protest.

Are you referring to some specific action of the protestors?

Yes, I recognize that and Pilate did have him delivered to those who wanted him dead. Still, you said that "Jesus broke the law" and my point that Pilate found no fault in him meant that he recognized that Jesus had not broken Roman Law, so why do you even bother saying it if it wasn't true according to Scripture?

Because Roman authority was the law.

Jesus cared very little about the temporal world. He was an essene one of the most devout of the Jewish sects. Look it up sometime. Read some history, get a education, more importantly get a clue. You are a long way out of your depth and it shows.

Wrong again. :) I've spent several years in weekly Bible study. Yes, Jesus was concerned for the temporal world, thus, his exhortations for his followers to meet the physical needs of their fellow humans.

Are you referring to some specific action of the protestors?

Yes, I recognize that and Pilate did have him delivered to those who wanted him dead. Still, you said that "Jesus broke the law" and my point that Pilate found no fault in him meant that he recognized that Jesus had not broken Roman Law, so why do you even bother saying it if it wasn't true according to Scripture?

Because Roman authority was the law.

Jesus cared very little about the temporal world. He was an essene one of the most devout of the Jewish sects. Look it up sometime. Read some history, get a education, more importantly get a clue. You are a long way out of your depth and it shows.

Wrong again. :) I've spent several years in weekly Bible study. Yes, Jesus was concerned for the temporal world, thus, his exhortations for his followers to meet the physical needs of their fellow humans.

Not a specific action per se, but by not policing themselves and getting rid of the ones who are tainting the movement they lessen their effect. I support the OWS movement.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure that working up an honest sweat wasn't one of the reasons people bathed in those times. Ritual purification covers a lot of things, but sweat isn't one of them.

I beg to differ. They were primitive yes but uncivilised no. Just like you or I find the BO of today unpleasant so too did they. The Romans had extensive baths purely for their pleasure, as did the ancient Myceneans. Bathing has been a human pleasure for as long as he or she has been able to arrange it.
I doubt the Romans allowed the Jews to use their bath houses.

Weren't the Jews in those times rather poor? How would they afford to bathe other than when they wished to enter a temple....even then I imagine it was tough to do.

The French are not uncivilized but they don't smell too good. :lol:

They bathed in the rivers. You know, the Nile and the Jordan. When Pharoah's daughter went down to the river (Nile) to bathe, she found Moses in his little watercraft that Miriam had made for him.

It's not ricket science.

I beg to differ. They were primitive yes but uncivilised no. Just like you or I find the BO of today unpleasant so too did they. The Romans had extensive baths purely for their pleasure, as did the ancient Myceneans. Bathing has been a human pleasure for as long as he or she has been able to arrange it.

Weren't the Jews in those times rather poor? How would they afford to bathe other than when they wished to enter a temple....even then I imagine it was tough to do.

The Jews of that time were actually fairly wealthy. Jerusalem sat astride a major trade route so was strategically and economically powerful. The Romans would probably not have allowed Jews to share their baths that is true, however the Jews had enough money to build their own!

My wife is French and she smells great so you better watch it lady!:lol:

There is NOTHING in the world more wonderful than French perfume. That is my one weakness and extravagance. And the more expensive the perfume, the more men notice it. I'm so not kidding, here. I want all my perfumes to be buried with me. I've never had any desire to go to France, but if I ever did, I would want to go to a perfume house. Back in the 60s, I was a secretary and I was buying perfume that cost more an ounce than I made in a week!

There is actually a passage in the Bible about a woman annointing Jesus feet with an expensive perfume. The analogy, I believe, is that the vessel has to be broken for the wonderful essence inside to be perceived!

Last edited:

The Jews of that time were actually fairly wealthy. Jerusalem sat astride a major trade route so was strategically and economically powerful. The Romans would probably not have allowed Jews to share their baths that is true, however the Jews had enough money to build their own!

:eek:

Jesus wasn't wealthy. In fact, I do believe he was poor.

I guess we'll never really know the answer.

Where in the Bible does it say Jesus was poor?

Jesus wasn't poor. How many people do you think would convert to a religion started by a poor schmuck? No one. Jesus was a carpenter and made good money. He was also well known, and His education in the Egyptian Mystery School was alluded to many times. "Behold, I show you a mystery....."

He wasn't born in a stable because his family was poor. He was born in a stable because the inn was full. His family had enough money to owe taxes. That is why they were on the road when he was born, so they could pay their taxes.

There is a legend that He was initiated in the Great Pyramid. When he took His place in the sarcophagus the priest struck it three times with an instrument like a tuning fork. On the third strike, the corner broke off, and no one was ever initiated there again.

pyramids-37small.jpg

Last edited:
Not a specific action per se, but by not policing themselves and getting rid of the ones who are tainting the movement they lessen their effect. I support the OWS movement.

I think that they are attempting to police themselves, but just without perfect success. There are some folks who have shown up for the free food, for one thing.

They bathed in the rivers. You know, the Nile and the Jordan. When Pharoah's daughter went down to the river (Nile) to bathe, she found Moses in his little watercraft that Miriam had made for him.

It's not ricket science.
No, it's not ricket science but we don't really know how often he went for a swim.

:eek:

Jesus wasn't wealthy. In fact, I do believe he was poor.

I guess we'll never really know the answer.

Where in the Bible does it say Jesus was poor?

Jesus wasn't poor. How many people do you think would convert to a religion started by a poor schmuck? No one. Jesus was a carpenter and made good money. He was also well known, and His education in the Egyptian Mystery School was alluded to many times. "Behold, I show you a mystery....."

He wasn't born in a stable because his family was poor. He was born in a stable because the inn was full. His family had enough money to owe taxes. That is why they were on the road when he was born, so they could pay their taxes.

There is a legend that He was initiated in the Great Pyramid. When he took His place in the sarcophagus the priest struck it three times with an instrument like a tuning fork. On the third strike, the corner broke off, and no one was ever initiated there again.

pyramids-37small.jpg
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

Forum List

Back