Would God need to be all-powerful

That was funny, but it's actually a trick question... but it still seems to elicit bizarre answers from the more... committed believers.

Just powerful enough I think. If there is a god, he/she's obviously limited. You can tell by the results! :rofl:

That is quite the philosphical can of worms you opened there. If God created us then he had some big decisions to make. Do I give these folks free will or just make them incapable of bad choices? Do I try to create a Utopia? Or try to make them perfect?

That is quite the philosphical can of worms you opened there. If God created us then he had some big decisions to make. Do I give these folks free will or just make them incapable of bad choices? Do I try to create a Utopia? Or try to make them perfect?

Why is that a big decision, can't a God fix any problem that might arise?
Would any decision really cause consternation in a perfect, divine, omnipotent being?

And, we all appreciate the free will - but why invent pedophilia? Why give us the ability to destroy the planet? Would you let your kidspolay with a hand grenade? Just throwing random questions out there...

Why is that a big decision, can't a God fix any problem that might arise?
Would any decision really cause consternation in a perfect, divine, omnipotent being?

And, we all appreciate the free will - but why invent pedophilia? Why give us the ability to destroy the planet? Would you let your kidspolay with a hand grenade? Just throwing random questions out there...

Free will means just that, FREE WILL.

There are people that have "free will" to be complete, and utter ass wipes, and God allows them that, just look around.:eusa_whistle:

Would God need to be all-powerful to create earth and life on it, or just powerful enough?

Uh, by the very definition, God is omnipotent, omniscient AND omnipresent. Thus such a being is forever beyond human perception, and its existence is an article of faith...unproven...unprovable...Hence of little value.

Uh, by the very definition, God is omnipotent, omniscient AND omnipresent. Thus such a being is forever beyond human perception, and its existence is an article of faith...unproven...unprovable...Hence of little value.
Or invaluable. ;)

You are right there though, on the three necessities. As for looking at what has been wrought, well that's free will.

Lets all not forget about the evil influence of Lucifer. He's got a little say also. You choose who to listen to. Like your Mom or Dad. It's your decision. Yes there is free will. There is also good and bad influence.

Because then it isn't free will. Free will is basically the same concept as free speech if you're going to allow it then you have to allow all of it. Including the the worst choices people could possibly make.

There is a break in your logic: Using your same standard of proof, A doctor can't prove that his diagnosis is perfect, but it is still of value.

Watch your definitions... your definition isn't everyone's, and really, you can't know that he/she's all powerful, if he/she exists, we only have proof that their powerful enough to do what's been been done.

And anything beyond human perception/comprehension can't be held 'true' with any certainty.

Because then it isn't free will. Free will is basically the same concept as free speech if you're going to allow it then you have to allow all of it. Including the the worst choices people could possibly make.

That assumes we have the full range of options, how do we know what we can and can't think of? Assuming God gave us free-will we probably don't have the range of thoughts and choices God does, and he obviously would have free will... so how free is our will? And wouldn't we be free to do everything we've done without a few 'options'?

Meaning, could we still have society and art and expression and good and evil etc. WITHOUT having little kids get molested, without the ability to poison the planet, or nuke it?

Maybe there are far worse things - and he did prevent us from thinking of them.... toughy.

If God is all powerful, then is he able to create a boulder so heavy he can't even lift it? ;)

You're thinking of Jesus, and it was a burrito, not a boulder, and it wasn't heavy, it was so hot that he himself could not eat it...

sheesh, read your scripture.

That assumes we have the full range of options, how do we know what we can and can't think of? Assuming God gave us free-will we probably don't have the range of thoughts and choices God does, and he obviously would have free will... so how free is our will? And wouldn't we be free to do everything we've done without a few 'options'?

Meaning, could we still have society and art and expression and good and evil etc. WITHOUT having little kids get molested, without the ability to poison the planet, or nuke it?

Maybe there are far worse things - and he did prevent us from thinking of them.... toughy.

The short answer to all of that is no. There is no grey area when it comes to free will. Either you have it or you don't. I sort of see where you're goin in the first paragraph, but free will and omniscience are two difference. There is a difference in the ability to choose anything and the ability to do anything.

I'm still working on this next part, but right now it just doesn't make any sense that a god would put limitations on us. I think if there is a god he likes a challenge. In the Bible we are suppossedly God's greatest creation. I think that greatness comes from him taking the risk of creating something that was more than just a puppet capable of only actions that he deemed okay.

The short answer to all of that is no. There is no grey area when it comes to free will. Either you have it or you don't.

...it just doesn't make any sense that a god would put limitations on us.

Cool, but based on what exactly? How could we ever know?

Cool, but based on what exactly? How could we ever know?

Part of it is based on you're answer previously. Look at the the horrible things we are capable of. For me those are things like pedophiles and sexual abuse. If God left some 'options' out as you say that is an intereting place to draw the line. That rapeing and killing a 5 yr old is somehow less harsh in the eyes of God then whatever it is that I can't imagine.

The other part is based on faith, which is basically a belief that something is without anyway to prove it.

Forum List

Back