World War II - Iraq - differences

There wasen't Al Qaeda/Taliban/Hezbollah that time. Also , most people had never even heard of global/bio terrorism at that time. As I said earlier U.S finished the war because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (Remember the Manhatten Project?). Also , U.S made the bomb before the Nazis and had the guts to use it against the japs. Also , U.S could get away with the bombing and yes...America did get away after dropping Fat Man and Little Boy. After seeing this the Japs surrendered and Hitler instead of pissing in his pants committed suicide(the cowardly scumbag).
Not sure where you read your history but Hitler was dead and the Germans surrendered months before the atom bomb was even successfully tested.

Pearl Harbour pissed off Washington big time resulting in the U.S.AF dropping the bombs on Japan.
No what pissed off Washington was the stubborness of the Japanese, not willing to surrender when their military might was broken. The President was left with a choice of hundreds of thousands of more U.S. casualties in a mainland invasion or dropping the nuke. He made the right decision.
And the U.S.A.F did not exist in 1945.

Plus , America was only helping the Brits/Allies against the Nazis. I mean America sent most of its troops during D-Day. Britain and the other Allies were doing most of the fighting (exactly opposite in the case of Iraq).The Battle of Britain and the Battle of El Alamein in North Africa was mainly won by the British. America's most influence in the war was the Pacific and not against the Nazis. Sure , Uncle Sam hated Hitler's guts and his "Aryan" and anti-Jewish attitude but I feel AMerica's war was actually with Japan.
Pearl Harbour pissed off Washington big time resulting in the U.S.AF dropping the bombs on Japan.

I guess the "US influence" doesn't include all the materiale and men the US sent to Europe and other allies prior to D-Day. The Merchant Marine that were killed are what we would call collateral damage these days I guess.
All those US soldiers that died at Kaseriene Pass, Anzio, and in Sicily don't count either, I guess.

No wonder the Europeans don't like the US. We didn't do squat to help them out in WW II!

I guess the "US influence" doesn't include all the materiale and men the US sent to Europe and other allies prior to D-Day. The Merchant Marine that were killed are what we would call collateral damage these days I guess.
All those US soldiers that died at Kaseriene Pass, Anzio, and in Sicily don't count either, I guess.

No wonder the Europeans don't like the US. We didn't do squat to help them out in WW II!

Understand your anger CSM, I just think the young man is uninformed. He's certainly come to the right place to fix THAT problem.

My father was a B-24 pilot, flying out of Libyia againts the Axis, and was shot down over Itay on his 17th mission.

He was a prisoner of war for 18 months, escaping TWICE, but being recaptured, not good....

Anyhow, yes, we fought, and unfortunately died, all over the world in those troubling times. Without the support of the United States, the outcome of the second World War would of been much different.

I would suggest our uninformed young poster Google second World War, that would get him started.

Sorry to but in....

FACT

The US entered WW II on December 7th, 1941, and finished the war on August 14th 1945.

This was 1346 days. WW II was over and done with, for the US, in 1346 days.

We have now been at war in Iraq for 1391 days - and there is no end in sight.

Way to go Republicans, you did a horrible job. That's why you no longer control Congress.

This is a stretch, even for you.

If you left-wingnut, PC bitchtards that spend all your time at home trying to destroy our moral authority would quit holding our military to such a high moral standard Christ himsefl would cringe, Iraq would be a done deal as well.

If you're going to go pointing fingers and casting blame, call it down the middle. The loony left has done everything in its capabilities to undermine, distort, and otherwise oppose our effort in Iraq, and YOU have been out front leading the charge with the best of them.

...no one has answered it.I can only assume nobody here here knows the answer.

What, exactly, are we doing in Iraq?

An extremely positive thing for the Iraqi people, the Middle East and the World......most don't get it because .....
a. they aren't paying attention.
b. the "news media", because of a political agenda, only wants to report
from an extremely negative view.
c. An inexplaimable hatred for the President of The United States and
America in general. I think our lifestyle and position in the world garners
a greaty deal of jealousy( I have gone all over the world, some nice
stuff but I'm always elated to return to America.
d. The fact that we with a few partners have the vision and the balls to
actually do something about a situation that can nolonger be ignored.
e. America has been a winner for so long, many will actually support low
life, mass murdering thugs in hope that they will hurt us....pathetic.
Castro, Chavez, Ahmadinejad, bin Laden ????????? What type of
intelligence does it take to support this garbage and spit on America?
Ask our own leftist idiots.

Don't you just love it when people try to make comparisons and then totally mischaracterize things?

The years for world war II were the years for major combat operations. Iraqi major combat operations lasted less then 3 months. Making WWII clearly much longer than Iraq.

You see we are in the rebuilding phase. We dealt with "insurgents" in Post War Germany and Japan for nearly a decade after World War II is over. We clearly haven't been in post war Iraq that long.

We've also helped them establish their own government in record time. Rebuilding their army will take time too. We never rebuilt the German or Japanese armies. In fact, we are still occupying them so to speak. We have never pulled out.

So we've clearly rebuilt Iraq in some areas in alittle more than 3 years than we've rebuilt the G and J after 60 years.

Granted the "insurgency" in Iraq is more organized and much better funded then what we faced in post WWII. After all there wasn't an Iran to fund them. But that just indicates what we have done to rebuild the nation is even more significant.

We are going to see freedom flourish in Iraq and it will be directly because what we have done there. We may not see it for many years, but it will happen. And when that happens, the world will be a far better place.

Why you guys want us to fail so badly is a mystery to me. Maybe one of these days youll wake up and realize what you've done. And hopefully its not going to be after seeing something like what the anti war coalition did during Vietnam when they let millions of southeast asians get slaughtered because they wouldnt see things through.

The fact that you are asking that after years of explaining it really doesnt say much for the attention span of society.

Fact: The US will never again win ANY war of any kind, regardless of the number of troops, the level of technology, or state of its military. There are just too many of its citizens that WANT the US to lose in every way. The military cannot win when its efforts are undermined by a traitorous civilian population. (Don't even start spewing the "we support the troops" crap)!

Fact: The US will eventually have the "moral high ground". This country will not however, be a place worth living in.

We will never have the moral high ground if we refuse to protect people we promised we'd help.

There comes a time in everyones life when they take stock and say "enough is enough".

Give me a proper reason to fight, don't lie to me.

If 911 wasnt the proper reason to fight terror, i dont know what was.

I think this may be a Chamberlain moment.... that in the future we will regret what is soon to happen.

Sadly, you really don't have to think it is. It is. Atleast if the Democrats get their way.

Unfortunately, the blood on Chamberlain's naive hands will be pale compared to what the blood on these men and women. Chamberlain atleast didn't have the historic precedent to see the folley of his actions.

This is a stretch, even for you.

If you left-wingnut, PC bitchtards that spend all your time at home trying to destroy our moral authority would quit holding our military to such a high moral standard Christ himsefl would cringe, Iraq would be a done deal as well.

If you're going to go pointing fingers and casting blame, call it down the middle. The loony left has done everything in its capabilities to undermine, distort, and otherwise oppose our effort in Iraq, and YOU have been out front leading the charge with the best of them.

I have to agree. I find it amazing that the people who try to undermine the war effort on every front have the audacity to start complaining when we haven't won. If the terrorist didn't know that they could persuade Americans to fight against their own government through the media, they might have given up years ago.

Not sure where you read your history but Hitler was dead and the Germans surrendered months before the atom bomb was even successfully tested.

No what pissed off Washington was the stubborness of the Japanese, not willing to surrender when their military might was broken. The President was left with a choice of hundreds of thousands of more U.S. casualties in a mainland invasion or dropping the nuke. He made the right decision.
And the U.S.A.F did not exist in 1945.

Yes Hitler was dead before the atom bomb test in Alamogadro but he was making the atom bomb with the help of his Nazi scientists. As for the surrender of the Germans before the test..I have to check on it.

If the U.S Air Force didn't exist in 1945 then why does the history book say " The U.S.A.F plane Enola Gay dropped the bombs Fat man and Little Boy on Hiroshima and Nagasaki" ??? It might not have been a separate organization but it was part of the U.S Army.
Formerly part of the United States Army, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on September 18, 1947.The Air Force came of age in World War II. President Franklin D. Roosevelt took the lead, calling for a vastly enlarged air force based on long-range strategic bombing. Organizationally it became largely independent in 1941, when the Army Air Corps became a part of the new U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF), and the GHQ Air Force was redesignated the subordinate Combat Command. In the major reorganization of the Army by War Department Circular 59, effective March 9, 1942, the newly created United States Army Air Forces gained equal voice with the Army and Navy on the Joint Chiefs of Staff and complete autonomy from the Army Ground Forces and the Services of Supply. The reorganization also eliminated both Combat Command and the Air Corps as organizations (the latter became a combat arm until 1947) in favor of a streamlined system of commands and numbered air forces for decentralized management of the burgeoning Army Air Forces.
SOURCE :- Wikipedia

Got it???

Understand your anger CSM, I just think the young man is uninformed. He's certainly come to the right place to fix THAT problem.

My father was a B-24 pilot, flying out of Libyia againts the Axis, and was shot down over Itay on his 17th mission.

He was a prisoner of war for 18 months, escaping TWICE, but being recaptured, not good....

Anyhow, yes, we fought, and unfortunately died, all over the world in those troubling times. Without the support of the United States, the outcome of the second World War would of been much different.

I would suggest our uninformed young poster Google second World War, that would get him started.

Sorry to but in....

The uninformed youngster knows that the U.S troops lost blood during WW2. The uninformed youngster also knows that the U.S had a large number of casualties during WW2 especially in some battles against the Axis.

What the uninformed youngster would like to tell is: America officially entered the WW2 due to the Japs. I never said directly that AMerica didn't want to fight the Nazis. The most fighting AMerica did was in the Pacific. D-Day was the other major battle involoving a large number of American soldiers. IF Japan and Germany weren't allies then America would not fight against the Nazis.

The same for WW1. After a German U-boat sunk the Lusitania killing the AMerican passenegers on board America entered WW1. The sinking galvanized American opinion against Germany's policy of unrestricted submarine warfare and played a role in the United States' later entry into World War I on April 17, 1917.

But after the war America still sent its athletes to the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Even though Hitler's policies never struck a chord with Washington AMerica never had any military intentions against Hitler. It was only after Pearl Harbour and the fact that the Axis included Germany and Japan and the Aliies crying for help that America fought against Hitler.

The direct cause of the United States' entry into the war with Japan was the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Germany declared war on the United States on December 11, 1941.

source:- Wikipedia

The uninformed youngster knows that the U.S troops lost blood during WW2. The uninformed youngster also knows that the U.S had a large number of casualties during WW2 especially in some battles against the Axis.

What the uninformed youngster would like to tell is: America officially entered the WW2 due to the Japs. I never said directly that AMerica didn't want to fight the Nazis. You sure as hell implied exactly that! The most fighting AMerica did was in the Pacific. Again, if you did a bit of research, you will find that the number of US troops in the European theater was not insignificant. I would also suggest you watch the series "Band of Brothers" to get some insight into the US effort in Europe. D-Day was the other major battle involoving a large number of American soldiers. There were plenty of other battles with large numbers of American soldiers involved. D-day was important yes, but so was Anzio and others where US troops led the charge (and died in droves). IF Japan and Germany weren't allies then America would not fight against the Nazis. And there you have it; you not only imply the US would not fight the Nazis, now you have categorically stated it.
The same for WW1. After a German U-boat sunk the Lusitania killing the AMerican passenegers on board America entered WW1. The sinking galvanized American opinion against Germany's policy of unrestricted submarine warfare and played a role in the United States' later entry into World War I on April 17, 1917.

But after the war America still sent its athletes to the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Yep, they did, and Hitler was not happy when a black man won a gold medal despite all the Nazi rhetoric about the German superrace. Even though Hitler's policies never struck a chord with Washington AMerica never had any military intentions against Hitler. It was only after Pearl Harbour and the fact that the Axis included Germany and Japan and the Aliies crying for help that America fought against Hitler. The point is, the Allies DID cry for help. They did so long before the attack on Pearl Harbor and the US was sending huge amounts of aid to the Europeans.
The direct cause of the United States' entry into the war with Japan was the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Germany declared war on the United States on December 11, 1941.

source:- Wikipedia

In any case, I fail to see what this discussion has to do with a comparison of WWII to the war on terror or the action on the Iraqii front.

Fact: The US will never again win ANY war of any kind, regardless of the number of troops, the level of technology, or state of its military. There are just too many of its citizens that WANT the US to lose in every way. The military cannot win when its efforts are undermined by a traitorous civilian population. (Don't even start spewing the "we support the troops" crap)!

Keep on spewing your right wing-nut talking points. My brother -in-law is in Iraq now. I've got skin in this game...Do you?

And I think you're selling the American people short. Any just war, as W.W. II was, will find Americans behind it to the hilt. No American wants this nation to lose in a just cause. But this cause was doomed from the start as it was an unjust, and unjustifiable, war of aggression. To accuse those who oppose this policy of being somehow unpatriotic or un-American is rhetorical BS used in a feeble attempt to silence the critics of Chimpy and Co in their pursuit of this misuse and abuse of American military power. Their callous disregard for the lives they have sent, and continue to send, into harm's way is evident from their failure to adequately plan for anything but the looting of the American treasury and the sacrifice of American lives.

Tell me, Oh Wise One, just what has been bought for America with this expenditure of blood and treasure? Enumerate the ways in which America is safer and our future more secure. Please provide supporting documentation...If you can.

Fact: The US will eventually have the "moral high ground". This country will not however, be a place worth living in.

The "moral high ground" you so easily dismiss is the foundation upon which this nation was built. It is what makes this nation worth living in and fighting for. America...love it or leave it. Bye-bye now.

Keep on spewing your right wing-nut talking points. I will, as long as you keep spewing the left wing cowardly rhetoric.
My brother -in-law is in Iraq now. I've got skin in this game...Do you?

Yep, my own in years past and two sons (one there right now) so don't even go there.
And I think you're selling the American people short. Any just war, as W.W. II was, will find Americans behind it to the hilt. No American wants this nation to lose in a just cause. But this cause was doomed from the start as it was an unjust, and unjustifiable, war of aggression. That is your opinion and not necessarily a correct one. Obviously, I do not agree. To accuse those who oppose this policy of being somehow unpatriotic or un-American is rhetorical BS used in a feeble attempt to silence the critics of Chimpy and Co in their pursuit of this misuse and abuse of American military power. Please show me where I said in this thread that those in opposition are unpatriotic or un American. I do not think that at all. Again, I am obviously in disagreement with your opinion on the use of military power. Their callous disregard for the lives they have sent, and continue to send, into harm's way is evident from their failure to adequately plan for anything but the looting of the American treasury and the sacrifice of American lives.

Tell me, Oh Wise One, just what has been bought for America with this expenditure of blood and treasure? Enumerate the ways in which America is safer and our future more secure. Please provide supporting documentation...If you can.

Done so many times. With you it would be pointless and a huge waste of time. But then you know that. Proceed to call me names; I expect that from you.

The "moral high ground" you so easily dismiss is the foundation upon which this nation was built. It is what makes this nation worth living in and fighting for. America...love it or leave it. Bye-bye now. I suppose it is too much to hope for that you are truly leaving....and morals are all a matter of perspective. I know for sure that your morals are nowhere near the same as my morals.

I am personally offended at your implication that I personally do not love my country. I suppose you miss the hypocricy of accusing me of calling my opposition unpatriotic and un-American; and then you doing exactly that.

Forum List

Back