Workers who stay loyal to their job are paid 50% less over their lifetime compared to those who switch jobs every 2-3 yrs

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
I found this to be very interesting. My wife and I were just talking about how this has changed over our lifetimes, and then I found this article.

If an employee stays in the same company for more than 2 years on average, this means that he or she will be earning about 50% (or even more) less over his or her whole life that if he or she had changed jobs.

Yes, nowadays, companies “punish” those loyal employees that stay. The average raise of an employee in 2014 was around 3% and taking into account the inflation rate, the raise meant really less than 1%.

On the other hand, those employees who decide to leave and go to another company can receive a salary 10% to 20% higher (in some cases even more). So, changing jobs is rewarding. Isn’t this nonsense?

Last edited:
My eyes were opened when I worked at Dupont.

We had a maintaince guy that was simply brilliant, he even invented a couple of things that Dupont patented.

Yet every time he went up for a well deserved promotion he was turned down.

I was told by our shift supervisor the reason was he was as valuable to the company where he was than if they promoted him.....Why pay more for what they already have?

Finally a company opened up a plant closer to his home and he got a job there as that plant's Maintaince supervisor making double what he was at Dupont.

To their credit Dupont did write him a glowing recommendation signed by every supervisor on the plant.

I found this to be very interesting. My wife and I were just talking about how this has changed over our lifetimes, and then I found this article.

If an employee stays in the same company for more than 2 years on average, this means that he or she will be earning about 50% (or even more) less over his or her whole life that if he or she had changed jobs.

Yes, nowadays, companies “punish” those loyal employees that stay. The average raise of an employee in 2014 was around 3% and taking into account the inflation rate, the raise meant really less than 1%.

On the other hand, those employees who decide to leave and go to another company can receive a salary 10% to 20% higher (in some cases even more). So, changing jobs is rewarding. Isn’t this nonsense?

It's how Engineering works. I spent over 20 years at one company, switched recently and got a raise and a bonus out of it.

You do not start at the bottom just because you move to a new company.

Exactly. I made a lateral move in the switch. Only thing I lost was 1 week of time off, which I get back 1 day every two years with the new company.

Companies aren't loyal to workers so workers shouldn't be loyal to the companies. They should go wherever the money is best.

Your time to get a jump in pay is when you negotiate a new job.
Once you are in the system, you are stuck with whatever meager pay increases they offer everyone.

Everyone probably has a story of landing a better job. I've been fired into raises twice and once or twice when they went down. Still doubt this is possible on a large scale

Yet the data shows you are incorrect.

I have been with my company for 8 years and have received many promotions and big pay increases so you are full of shit.

/——/ It’s always been that way. I was a top performer in salaried sales at Procter & Gamble in the early 1980s. I got a puny 2-3% annual raise. I moved to Johnson &Johnson as a pharma rep and got a 25% pay bump. 6 years later I switched to legal publishing sales on salary plus commission and doubled my
Income.

/——/ It’s always been that way. I was a top performer in salaried sales at Procter & Gamble in the early 1980s. I got a puny 2-3% annual raise. I moved to Johnson &Johnson as a pharma rep and got a 25% pay bump. 6 years later I switched to legal publishing sales on salary plus commission and doubled my
Income.
My experience has been different than yours. I have received generous pay increases and have been promoted many times.

Income.
Which gave you the means to buy that mansion you always wanted.

Forum List

Back