Women in Hand-to-Hand Combat

The women in my family carry handguns, pepper spray and whistles. My advice to them is never let an attacker get close enough to grab them. All of them have good situational awareness which is the most important factor.

The past few years, television writers have been on a ridiculous campaign to create female characters who are super-girls who can kick any man's ass.

Last week I saw, on Blindspot, a fistfight between a 110 pound woman ("Jane Doe") and a 200-pound man that was the worst example I have ever seen of this phenomenon. Repeatedly, the man would throw a punch at her, and she brushed it off by simply flicking her wrist at him. The scene ended with the guy being thrown (off-camera, of course) bodily into a courtyard, presumably by this featherweight woman. Give me a freakin' break.

This season, I've seen petite women knock men out with a single punch, physically throw them over walls, hold them in head-locks into submission, and break their body-parts by sheer force. It is like someone is converting cartoons into television drama.

In my reality, a normal, healthy woman without a weapon has exactly ONE chance to effectively attack a man (before he kicks the shit out of her), or to slow him down so that she can run away. And that chance is to strike one quick blow to a vulnerable body part, then run like hell. Failing that, she is in for a bad experience. Which is why women should carry either mace or some other form of weapon when traveling under circumstances where there is a threat of being assaulted.

What, exactly, is the point of portraying these fictional women as effective fighters against men? God forbid women in real life come to believe that they can hope to win a physical fight against an aggressive male attacker.

A similar phenomenon goes on with fictional women "bad guys" and police commanders. Invariably the head bad guy or the head of the government agency is some pretend-bad-ass woman.

Is Shonda Rhimes calling ALL the shots these days?

You've obviously never trained at an MMA gym.

I've taught you as best I can Grasshopper Ace . Ignore my words if you like but if you can't see the reality of the generalization that women are generally weaker , smaller and less suitable to hand to hand combat with a male , well then you are on yer own G.Ace !!

The past few years, television writers have been on a ridiculous campaign to create female characters who are super-girls who can kick any man's ass.

Last week I saw, on Blindspot, a fistfight between a 110 pound woman ("Jane Doe") and a 200-pound man that was the worst example I have ever seen of this phenomenon. Repeatedly, the man would throw a punch at her, and she brushed it off by simply flicking her wrist at him. The scene ended with the guy being thrown (off-camera, of course) bodily into a courtyard, presumably by this featherweight woman. Give me a freakin' break.

This season, I've seen petite women knock men out with a single punch, physically throw them over walls, hold them in head-locks into submission, and break their body-parts by sheer force. It is like someone is converting cartoons into television drama.

In my reality, a normal, healthy woman without a weapon has exactly ONE chance to effectively attack a man (before he kicks the shit out of her), or to slow him down so that she can run away. And that chance is to strike one quick blow to a vulnerable body part, then run like hell. Failing that, she is in for a bad experience. Which is why women should carry either mace or some other form of weapon when traveling under circumstances where there is a threat of being assaulted.

What, exactly, is the point of portraying these fictional women as effective fighters against men? God forbid women in real life come to believe that they can hope to win a physical fight against an aggressive male attacker.

A similar phenomenon goes on with fictional women "bad guys" and police commanders. Invariably the head bad guy or the head of the government agency is some pretend-bad-ass woman.

I assume they do this is to get people like you to watch it, and even better yet to talk about it. I had never heard of the show before your posing, so I think they are getting exactly what they want, and so are their advertisers.

I've taught you as best I can Grasshopper Ace . Ignore my words if you like but if you can't see the reality of the generalization that women are generally weaker , smaller and less suitable to hand to hand combat with a male , well then you are on yer own G.Ace !!
Obviously you didnt read my post. I know most men are stronger than women. i was just pointing out size doesnt equal strength.

It's dangerous to girls to create this delusion. I know it's all part of the super hero shit, but a girl who believes she can go toe to toe is going to learn a harsh lesson about upper body strength and the power that comes from physical size.

Obviously you didnt read my post. I know most men are stronger than women. i was just pointing out size doesnt equal strength.
-------------------------- generally speaking size equals strength Ace !!

-------------------------- generally speaking size equals strength Ace !!
Nope. If that was case fat women would be stronger than you.

best for a woman to carry a gun or other means of protection and be able to run and avoid . As already said by another poster , situational awareness is probably the best skill any person or woman can have . As Hilary says , lets reduce guns in American society so that women and girls can't protect themselves .

I live in California, which is a victims rights state, that is to say the ONLY right you have is to be a victim

It is against the law for my wife to carry a gun, despite the Constitution. Of course unconstitutional laws offer no moral reason for decent people to follow them.

The difference in size, mass, and strength between men and women is not "cultural" nor is it an illusion. Go to any gym, and the weights being handles by the women are a joke. There are a few exceptions, of course, but these are exceptions. Skill at fighting can be learned, and there are techniques by which a smaller person can win an exchange with a larger person. Women (girls) who have done martial arts training tend to know their limitations, but pushing this garbage on television and in movies serves no real purpose, and can be harmful if girls take it seriously. Most women throwing a solid punch at a man will be more injured themselves by the impact than the man who is the recipient.

Making the world equal......even if they have to lie to do it.

So those jujitsu moves don't work? Normal untrained women, I agree with you. Women trained to fight using their attackers strength and momentum against them? They could kick a man's ass if they had to.
Is the underlying theme here women in military combat? Or are you only discussing women without weapons?

Sorry....size, strength and weight all matter......that is why they have weight divisions in all sports and they don't have women fighting men........train for hand to hand.....but that is the absolute last resort...a gun, or a knife is your best chance at surviving a vilolent attack.

The difference in size, mass, and strength between men and women is not "cultural" nor is it an illusion. Go to any gym, and the weights being handles by the women are a joke. There are a few exceptions, of course, but these are exceptions. Skill at fighting can be learned, and there are techniques by which a smaller person can win an exchange with a larger person. Women (girls) who have done martial arts training tend to know their limitations, but pushing this garbage on television and in movies serves no real purpose, and can be harmful if girls take it seriously. Most women throwing a solid punch at a man will be more injured themselves by the impact than the man who is the recipient.

Unless the man is a weakling like you.

Wonder what his position will be when his girls become eligible for the draft?...
confused.gif

Obama: U.S. Military Stronger Because All Combat Positions Are Open to Women
June 2, 2016 – In a commencement speech Thursday to graduates of the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo., President Barack Obama said the U.S. military is stronger because women can now serve in all combat positions and because the U.S. is closing the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba.
“And on this 40th anniversary of the first female cadets arriving at this academy, we are stronger because General Johnson leaves this institution, because Air Force Gen. Lori Robinson leads Northern Command, our nation’s first female combatant commander, and because all combat positions in our military are now open to women like you. We’re stronger because of it,” said Obama. Robinson leads both the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) and U.S. Northern Command (USNORTHCOMM). “Perhaps no element of our power is more enduring than the example that we set ourselves – the values we live as a nation and as individuals. That’s how we won the Cold War – not just with the strength of our arms, but with the power of our ideas, the power of our example,” the president said.

“It’s how we defend our nation, including our refusal to torture, because America doesn’t just insist that other countries respect human rights, we have to uphold them as well and lead the way. It’s how we treat those we capture. It’s one of the reasons we have to close the prison in Guantanamo, because America has to stand for rule of law,” he said. We live our values when our military like America itself truly welcomes the talents of all people. We’re stronger when our gay and lesbian cadets and troops can serve their country – a country they love without hiding who they love,” Obama said.

Obama recited the names of several Muslim-American cadets, saying America is “stronger” when cadets like these “know that we celebrate their service as proud patriotic Muslim-Americans who are also serving in our armed forces.” “So there you have it, a few thoughts from your commander-in-chief on how to keep our military strong, and our nation secure. We can never know what the future holds, but in the not-so-distant future when I’m no longer president, I will sleep well at night, because I know that men and women like you serve to keep us free,” he concluded.

Obama: U.S. Military Stronger Because All Combat Positions Are Open to Women

The issue isn't necessarily that they have women kicking men's asses. I think the issue is that too often the women don't seem physically strong. Jaimie Alexander, who stars in Blindspot (and played Lady Sif in the Thor movies) is listed as 5'9" and 125-130 lbs. She does not look especially muscular; if anything she's a bit thin.

Having said that, however, men have been doing ridiculous, totally unrealistic fighting in TV and movies since they began. Those men aren't always big, or even seemingly in great shape. Even someone like Bruce Lee was only supposed to be about 5'7" and 135-140. That's bigger than Alexander, obviously, but still not that big of a man. And in action film, realism is often set aside for aesthetics, whether the star is a man or a woman.

At least in today's action scenes, thanks to the popularity of MMA IMO, we see some techniques which might actually be effective. Scarlett Johannsen might not be big enough/strong enough to knock opponents out with a single blow unless she gets very lucky, but I would think even a big man could be put out of a fight if she gets him into a good armbar as they like to have her do in the Avengers movies. ;)

Oh, and I did see something about Alexander having been on the wrestling team at her high school, so at least she does have some small experience in a form of martial arts if that's true. :dunno:

Talking about Barry and the Air Force Academy commencement speech...

Ironic, since none of those graduating from the Air Force Academy will ever be "in combat."

No rational human could ever conclude that a fighting force is "stronger" in any way because of the introduction of female combat troops. Any female troops.

The only way that females could improve the strength of a military unit is if they assume an administrative position so that a man can serve in combat.

Forum List

Back