WMD's: Do They Matter?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Bern80, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    There are many threads on this board debating whether or not Saddam has/had/attempted to get/had a program for/has hidden or hidden in other countries WMD.

Sure WMD's pose a serious threat in the wrong hands and if Saddam had them it certainly makes our case against him stronger.

The one thing I would crticize Bush for is using WMD's as the excuse to go to war. There were plenty of other provable reasons to remove Saddam from power. The most obvious being human rights violations. I think this would have sold better to the public.

My point is does it matter what reason Bush gave us for going to war as long as what you personally feel needs to be done is done? In my case that would be putting the Iraqi people on a road toward freedom and removing Saddam from power.

2. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The WMDs were only part of the justification for the war - and the liberal-biased media entities have played this up.

The major justification for the war involves Saddam's violation of the settlement of the 1991 Gulf War. Umpteen UN resolutions and 12 years later - it still could not be confirmed that he had complied.

The existence of plans for and capabilities to produce WMDs is a violation of that agreement. The U.S., as a party to the settlement, has every right to see that it is enforce. The UN (an obsolete organization which currently serves the dual purpose of enabling former world powers hold onto a shadow of their former glory, ie France, and legitamizing totalitarian regimes by making them peers of democracies (too numerous to name)) failed to enforce its own resolutions. They had their chance and they muffed it.

So, the Coalition of the Willing had to do the job instead.

3. RightyRightOn

RightyRightOn Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They don't matter to me. There are so many good reasons for us to be in Iraq. WMDs are near the bottom of my list.

Saddam did have quite a long time to hide them.

Consider the possibility that WMD's are found before the election (a real possibility). That would make Dean and many others look pretty bad.

4. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    ...The US military team sent in to find WMD's have been scattered to the four winds and their civilian head has resigned, I think Howdy's given up on the WMD angle. He's been caught in so many lies on that one that he's crawdaddin' away from it as fast as he can anyways.

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Caught in so many lies? Can you please tell us what lies you speak of? And no, not what you think are lies, but what has been proven to be an outright lie by Bush.

6. 5.10 leader

5.10 leader Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it should be considered that WMD's have, in fact, been found.

Admittedly they were obselete, remnants of the Iran/Iraq war. But if it has taken this long to find 25year old weapons who's to say that usable WMD's aren't buried. There is one hell of a lot of desert in which to hide a comparatively small arms cache.

And I agree with WW et al, whether or not WMD's exist, that was only part of the reason for taking action against Iraq.

Saddam deserves everything he gets. It is unfortunate, of course, that innocent people are casualties of the action, but that is inevitable. I just cannot understand the sympathy that is being generated for the tyrant by the liberal media in this country.

7. sss

sss Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Bush only gave 5 reasons for going to war with Iraq

"PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: The dictator of Iraq is not disarming. To the contrary, he is deceiving"

Coalition of the Willing
    Afghanistan
    Albania
    Angola
    Australia
    Azerbaijan
    Bulgaria
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Eritrea
    Estonia
    Ethiopia
    Georgia
    Honduras
    Hungary
    Iceland
    Italy
    Japan
    Kuwait
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Macedonia
    Marshall Islands
    Micronesia
    Mongolia
    Netherlands
    Nicaragua
    Palau
    Panama
    Philippines
    Poland
    Portugal
    Romania
    Rwanda
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    Solomon Islands
    South Korea
    Spain
    Turkey
    Uganda
    Ukraine
    United Kingdom
    United States
    Uzbekistan

lmfao

8. bamthin

bamthin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think to, to some Americans, the lack of WMD or clear Bin Laden/Al-Queda >> Saddam links are of no consequence after the fact. These people would have sent their own sons/daughters to Iraq to be killed to remove Saddam for humanitarian reasons alone.

But you need to expand your view a little and consider the people that really needed more than just Saddam's human rights record as a reason to lose their life or their loved one's life. Many nations are in breach of UN resolutions. There are many tyrants in the world who torture and murder anyone who rises up against them. People needed to have other reasons to believe a full scale military incursion was required.

Many were swayed by the specter of WMD in the hands of the terrorists that flew planes into the WTC on September 11. The images of the crumbling buildings were still fresh in their minds and they were vulnerable to being misled. After the dust of Iraq settled and the proof they were expecting to see, the stockpiles of recently produced WMD and the definitive evidence that Saddam was coordinating his efforts with Al-Queda to bring death and destruction to the US mainland, did not materialize, the anger and mistrust begin to well, like bile in the throat, of the "other" Americans. These are the Americans who despise war. They know how brutal it is and how much pain and suffering it brings to innocent people. They have a conscience about it. They know that it is their tax dollars that are littering Iraq with unexploded cluster weapons, that will kill and and dismember innocent children. It is their tax dollars spreading depleted uranium all over Iraqi neighborhoods, where children will play someday.

This large group of people are waiting patiently for the proof that what they were told was the truth and that all the sacrifices that were made were worth it. Removing a dictator is not enough for them.

Perhaps, if Bush just came out and reminded the people of Saddam's human rights record before the war and did not put so much emphasis on WMD and Al-Queda links, these people may have been swayed. In this scenario, they would have the full reasons with no deception and could then weigh the options. But Bush chose to focus on the WMD and Al-Queda connections to whip up support from the squeamish.

This is manipulation and exploitation in the highest order. These people were deceived and they are not happy about it. In their mind, Saddam was a neutered leader crippled by a decade of sanctions. Saddam was being inspected again and no threat to the US. They trusted Bush that there was much more going on in Iraq than what common sense and common knowledge told them. They TRUSTED Bush to do the right thing and prove he was right later.

I hope this gives you a view from the other side.

-Bam

9. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726

10. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    I still haven't figured out to seperate quotes so i did the best i could. If someone could give me hand that woudl be great.