With all the GOP cuts to education, Republicans put the future of our country at risk.

Good! There is a ton of waste in public schools. For one thing, there are almost as many "administrative personnel" as there are teachers in public schools: about 40% of the staff in public schools do not teach. In contrast, in private schools administrative positions account for only about 20% of the staff, a much more reasonable ratio.

Many Eastern European nations spend far less per student than we spend, yet their kids are beating ours in math, science, language, you name it. Private schools spend about half the amount per student that public schools spend, yet private school students do much better on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT. Ditto for home schooled kids. So the problem clearly is not money.

Just go watch Waiting for Superman:

Waiting for "Superman"

And as a parent who has kids in public schools right now, I don't hesitate to say that quite a few public school teachers are worthless, lazy, and downright ignorant, and should be working at 7-11.

Last edited:
Good! There is a ton of waste in public schools. For one thing, there are almost as many "administrative personnel" as there are teachers in public schools: about 40% of the staff in public schools do not teach. In contrast, in private schools administrative positions account for only about 20% of the staff, a much more reasonable ratio. Many Eastern European nations spend far less per student than we spend, yet their kids are beating ours in math, science, language, you name it. Private schools spend about half the amount per student that public schools spend, yet private school students do much better on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT. Ditto for home schooled kids. So the problem clearly is not money.

Waiting for "Superman"

I have to agree with that. Our city increased our taxes several times in the past. I learned that the administrators are making six digits. How much administration does it take to run a school anyhow?

Half of the property tax I pay goes for schools I have no children in. The people with children in school pay the same as I do (or less depending on their property value) and I just don't see the equity in it.

Good! There is a ton of waste in public schools. For one thing, there are almost as many "administrative personnel" as there are teachers in public schools: about 40% of the staff in public schools do not teach. In contrast, in private schools administrative positions account for only about 20% of the staff, a much more reasonable ratio. Many Eastern European nations spend far less per student than we spend, yet their kids are beating ours in math, science, language, you name it. Private schools spend about half the amount per student that public schools spend, yet private school students do much better on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT. Ditto for home schooled kids. So the problem clearly is not money.

Waiting for "Superman"

I have to agree with that. Our city increased our taxes several times in the past. I learned that the administrators are making six digits. How much administration does it take to run a school anyhow?

Half of the property tax I pay goes for schools I have no children in. The people with children in school pay the same as I do (or less depending on their property value) and I just don't see the equity in it.

In our county, when the legislature made some very modest cuts in education spending (after years of increases), the county school board, using taxpayer money, sent a grossly misleading, clearly political letter to every parent urging them to contact their state senator and delegate to repeal the cuts.

Waiting for "Superman"

In our county, when the legislature made some very modest cuts in education spending (after years of increases), the county school board, using taxpayer money, sent a grossly misleading, clearly political letter to every parent urging them to contact their state senator and delegate to repeal the cuts.

Oh, they've pulled stunts like that here as well. They would put a tax increase levy for the schools in November. When that failed, they would hold a special election just for that issue in January. When that failed, they would sit quiet until August when nobody is paying attention and many people are on vacation. When everybody had landline phones, the school would make sure that they called all the parents to remind them to vote, and that's how they get these things passed.

One time I got upset with these underhanded tactics, so I contacted my Councilman. I had no problem with them having more than one election for the issue, but my gripe was that if they got to have three tries to pass a levy, why can't those opposed have three tries to reverse it?

$20 Trillion Debt. Much of it happened on your boy Hussein's watch. There hasn't been any cuts. You and the OP are delusional.
Much of it???????????

Really???????

How much of it????????

Go ahead, lie, make us laugh.

About $9 trillion out of the $20 trillion by the time he leaves.
So where did the other 11 trillion come from? And from 2001 to 2008, millions of jobs were moved to China and over 40,000 factories closed, which has been linked to at least a thousand times on this site. How does Obama increase the revenue when Republicans gladly watched jobs go and factories close? And where do you get a work force when Republicans defund education and block infrastructure renewal? Hell, even Marco Rubio was booed when he proposed, at the GOP debates, that we invest in daycare so both parents could work.

You simply can't get Republicans to answer these questions. They will say "But the stimulus was supposed to do that". Yea, a package Obama could only get passed because the wealthy were bribed by even more tax cuts.

And how does the GOP leadership feel about Obama's stimulus????

Obama criticizes Republicans who opposed stimulus, then claim credit for projects it funded
rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

The dirty fucks. And you guys know it. So what does that say about you people?

Can you explain to us what Republicans were supposed to do when those jobs left this country? We are not a dictatorship (yet).
Republicans supported companies moving jobs to China. After all the links so many people on the USMB posted how can you not know that? There were tax breaks and subsidies. Do you know why the Chamber of Commerce gives to Republicans 9 to one over Democrats? Do you know who funds the COC? And you guys expect us to link again and again when you refuse to read the links. And they aren't coming from left wing sites. If you notice, I even use the Christian Science Monitor which is hardly left wing. That's how come you guys can't learn. It's truly a determined ignorance.

Democrats don't support tax cuts that would prevent these companies from moving out of the country due to high corporate taxes. Why do business here if you can't make a profit?

Do I know who funds the Chamber of Commerce? Businesses. Was there a point to this stupid question?

$20 Trillion Debt. Much of it happened on your boy Hussein's watch. There hasn't been any cuts. You and the OP are delusional.
Much of it???????????

Really???????

How much of it????????

So where did the other 11 trillion come from? And from 2001 to 2008, millions of jobs were moved to China and over 40,000 factories closed, which has been linked to at least a thousand times on this site. How does Obama increase the revenue when Republicans gladly watched jobs go and factories close? And where do you get a work force when Republicans defund education and block infrastructure renewal? Hell, even Marco Rubio was booed when he proposed, at the GOP debates, that we invest in daycare so both parents could work.

You simply can't get Republicans to answer these questions. They will say "But the stimulus was supposed to do that". Yea, a package Obama could only get passed because the wealthy were bribed by even more tax cuts.

Obama criticizes Republicans who opposed stimulus, then claim credit for projects it funded
rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

You really should lay off whatever mind-altering drugs or alcohol you are using. That stuff will kill you!

Democrats had control of the House, Senate, and White House yet did nothing but blow up the debt. That is why they get hammered in off-year elections.
For one thing, Democrats had control of the house and Senate only long enough they could use reconciliation a single time, unlike the Republicans who used it multiple times.
Second, Democrats get hammered in off year elections because they aren't motivated to vote. It's been like that historically for decades. Even when Republicans held all three.
Why do you make shit up? Cuz your position is so weak?

Only long enough? Two years is "only long enough"?

Admit it! You lied and got caught. I made nothing up. Everything I said was factual. That "couple of months" statement was a baldfaced lie and you knew it.

Suck it up lib! It's a new year. Time for you libbies to grow a pair!

Obviously from the revenue lost from the millions of jobs lost, the factories closed. The Bush tax cuts Obama was blackmailed into extending.

Republicans say tax cuts must come first

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says

Think you can figure it out now?

I know, how barbaric. All these awful cuts in spending. Yet somehow the U.S. Government still managed to spend us into a $20 Trillion Debt. Imagine when it comes time to really make cuts? And that is gonna happen at some point. This massive Debt can't be sustained forever.
Fuck the cuts. This country has to make money. That's the only way you pare down the debt?
What are Republicans policies on making money? Tax cuts for billionaires? Do you know how tarded that is.

That was a rhetorical question. Obviously you don't.

The "country" doesn't make money--citizens and companies make money. The government gets their money from the people that create wealth. The government doesn't produce products or services for a profit, that's why they can never make money.

Not true . The gov leases land oil etc... Just an example.

But you are right that gov is not a business . It's not allowed to be .
Not only that. NASA sells patents and licenses.
Notice I said, "Fuck the cuts. This country has to make money. " and tards say, "The "country" doesn't make money--citizens and companies make money." Right wingers hate the country so much, they don't even realize the citizens ARE the country.

More bald-faced lies and half-truths? Are you trying to get your yearly quota in early? I hope that wasn't your New Year's resolution.

Much of it???????????

Really???????

How much of it????????

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

Can you explain to us what Republicans were supposed to do when those jobs left this country? We are not a dictatorship (yet).
Republicans supported companies moving jobs to China. After all the links so many people on the USMB posted how can you not know that? There were tax breaks and subsidies. Do you know why the Chamber of Commerce gives to Republicans 9 to one over Democrats? Do you know who funds the COC? And you guys expect us to link again and again when you refuse to read the links. And they aren't coming from left wing sites. If you notice, I even use the Christian Science Monitor which is hardly left wing. That's how come you guys can't learn. It's truly a determined ignorance.

And I posted FactCheck.org that explained it was all BS. The only tax breaks companies get moving overseas are the same breaks companies get moving from one city or state to another: moving expenses, that's it! I've seen no post from you or anybody else disputing that report. All you complained about is the hyperlinks no longer worked because the sites were not available.

You need to learn what tax write-offs are. Apparently you don't know. They don't amount to that much money--especially something as major as moving a company out of the country.

Much of it???????????

Really???????

How much of it????????

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

Democrats don't support tax cuts that would prevent these companies from moving out of the country due to high corporate taxes. Why do business here if you can't make a profit?

Do I know who funds the Chamber of Commerce? Businesses. Was there a point to this stupid question?

Admiral.

Why do busines here if you cant make a profit was your question.

Which major American corporation conducting manufacturing operations in this country is struggling? Any come right to mind?

Better question. Why let American companies manufacturing overseas have access to the largest consumer markert in the world, IF the USA isnt a good enough place to produce their product?

Those companies dont seem to have a problem accepting Americna dollars in exchange for their product.

Fuckem if they dont want to manufacture here and PAY Americnas to produce their product.

Good! There is a ton of waste in public schools. For one thing, there are almost as many "administrative personnel" as there are teachers in public schools: about 40% of the staff in public schools do not teach. In contrast, in private schools administrative positions account for only about 20% of the staff, a much more reasonable ratio.

Many Eastern European nations spend far less per student than we spend, yet their kids are beating ours in math, science, language, you name it. Private schools spend about half the amount per student that public schools spend, yet private school students do much better on standardized tests like the SAT and ACT. Ditto for home schooled kids. So the problem clearly is not money.

Waiting for "Superman"

And as a parent who has kids in public schools right now, I don't hesitate to say that quite a few public school teachers are worthless, lazy, and downright ignorant, and should be working at 7-11.

Where did you dig up that little gem? Why throw out numbers that are not true? I have taught in 7 different school systems and none of them come close to those numbers.

Ah, the old private schools spend less lie! You get less from private schools is the real truth. Like driving your kid to school every day? Like paying a fee for everything your kid does, like art, music, etc.? Like to pay a fee for them to participate in sports?

If you are stupid enough not to understand why private school kids and home school kids do better on tests, then you are not as smart as you thought you were. It is called self-selection bias. Many public school kids are required to take the SAT and ACT. There is no such requirement in most private schools or home schooling. If Little Johnny is a "D" student and does not plan of going to college, in a public school he takes the test and "Christmas tree"s the answer sheet so he can take a nap. If he is in a private or home school, he just doesn't take it. It screws up the data so much that your comparison is useless.

Ray, so you showed that tax breaks arent the reason for corporations to move out of country.

Well why would they move Ray?

Other than they have access to dirt cheap labor, new facilites and dirt cheap labor. Subsidized by the governments of the countries they moved to.

Why you want some Chinese dude to have a job that your next door neighbor could have had?

If corporations could outsource your driving job to a person who will drive for half of what you make, wouldnt that be great. For the company.

Not so much for you though.

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

Admiral.

Which major American corporation conducting manufacturing operations in this country is struggling? Any come right to mind?

Better question. Why let American companies manufacturing overseas have access to the largest consumer markert in the world, IF the USA isnt a good enough place to produce their product?

Those companies dont seem to have a problem accepting Americna dollars in exchange for their product.

Fuckem if they dont want to manufacture here and PAY Americnas to produce their product.

You claim I asked "why do business here if you cant make a profit"? They build their products elsewhere and then sell them here. Labor is the problem when combined with high corporate taxes.

Why does Ford build F-150 trucks in Mexico? Do you think that Mexicans are in the market for new $30,000 pickups?
Of course not! The build them there because they don't have to pay the UAW minimum wages for jobs like sweeping the floor. Build a truck here and make $2000 profit or build it in Mexico and make $6000 profit. Which is the smart play?

Ray, so you showed that tax breaks arent the reason for corporations to move out of country.

Well why would they move Ray?

Other than they have access to dirt cheap labor, new facilites and dirt cheap labor. Subsidized by the governments of the countries they moved to.

Why you want some Chinese dude to have a job that your next door neighbor could have had?

If corporations could outsource your driving job to a person who will drive for half of what you make, wouldnt that be great. For the company.

Not so much for you though.

It's already happening, but not because of outsourcing.

Because Americans are too lazy to work or otherwise can't quit smoking pot to get a job, our industry hires foreigners to take these jobs Americans don't want. This year, they estimate that we will need in excess of 46,000 new drivers, but can't find Americans to take the jobs.

Foreigners lower wages for all of us, but of course, DumBama could care less. He keeps ushering in all these foreigners and then says we need to do something about our wages. Duh!

Companies do move for cheaper labor and more educated workers. They also move to be closer to their consumers as well. Tax breaks don't mean squat when all expenses of a company are looked at. That's not why they move.

Much of it???????????

Really???????

How much of it????????

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

And I posted FactCheck.org that explained it was all BS. The only tax breaks companies get moving overseas are the same breaks companies get moving from one city or state to another: moving expenses, that's it! I've seen no post from you or anybody else disputing that report. All you complained about is the hyperlinks no longer worked because the sites were not available.

You need to learn what tax write-offs are. Apparently you don't know. They don't amount to that much money--especially something as major as moving a company out of the country.

Ray a major company moves their manufacturing operations overseas.

Their expense is 50 million to move their operation to wherever.

They deduct the 50 million as business expense.

So 50 million is not much to you eh?

What about all the jobs and tax revenus lost when all those jobs go overseas?

The business gets a large write off, the country gets less income and the citizens get to suffer from having lost their jobs.

And you think all this is "good for us" eh?

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

The business gets a large write off, the country gets less income and the citizens get to suffer from having lost their jobs.

You (like many leftists) don't understand what a write-off means.

If a company writes off 10 million dollars, it doesn't mean that they don't give the government 10 million dollars. What it means is that they still spend the 10 million dollars, but don't pay any taxes on it as income.

I deal with all kinds of write-offs and I wish everything I wrote off meant that it was money I didn't give to government. But there is no truth to it.

Now, once again, I present FactCheck.org:

FULL QUESTION:

When Democratic presidential candidates talk about tax breaks for corporations that ship our jobs overseas and tax breaks and subsidies for oil companies, what are they referring to and are they accurate?

FULL ANSWER:

It’s true that Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have associated the transfer of U.S. jobs overseas with tax breaks, or loopholes, for companies that practice off-shoring:

Both candidates are referring to a feature of the U.S. tax code that allows domestic companies to defer taxes on “unrepatriated income.” In other words, revenue that companies earn through their overseas subsidiaries goes untaxed by the IRS as long as it stays off the company’s U.S. books.

But economists, including left-leaning ones, do not agree that eliminating this provision will bring an end to off-shoring. And here’s why: In the U.S., companies are taxed 35 percent on earnings of $10 million to $15 million or on all earnings over $18.3 million. That’s one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world, making an overseas move somewhat attractive to companies that wish to avoid the U.S. tax rate. But that’s not the leading reason companies send jobs overseas. According to a 2005 report by the Government Accountability Office, global technological advancement, increased openness of countries such as China and India, the higher education level of foreign workers in technological fields, and the reduced cost per foreign worker are all contributing factors to off-shoring.

We first addressed this popular theme in 2004, when we reported on a John Kerry campaign ad in which he blamed President George W. Bush for providing tax incentives to companies “outsourcing” jobs overseas. At the time we found that such tax breaks, which do exist, pre-dated the Bush administration and that even Democratic-leaning economists did not support the idea that changing the corporate tax code would end the movement of jobs overseas.

Three years later, in Dec. 2007, we reported on an ad launched by a labor group in support of John Edwards. The ad implied that corporate tax breaks were responsible for the shipment of jobs overseas from an Iowa Maytag plant. We found that the jobs were actually sent to Ohio and that, again, eliminating such tax breaks would not go far in stanching the flow of jobs overseas.

Oil and Gas Company Tax Breaks

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

Admiral.

You claim I asked "why do business here if you cant make a profit"? They build their products elsewhere and then sell them here. Labor is the problem when combined with high corporate taxes.

Why does Ford build F-150 trucks in Mexico? Do you think that Mexicans are in the market for new $30,000 pickups?
Of course not! The build them there because they don't have to pay the UAW minimum wages for jobs like sweeping the floor. Build a truck here and make $2000 profit or build it in Mexico and make $6000 profit. Which is the smart play?

I guess if your POV is centered solely on the benefits to the corporation, moving the the location that has the cheapest labor would be a fine move.

But then I am not as interested in the maximazing of profits for corporations at the expense of my fellow citizens as you and Ray seem to be.

Matter of fact, IF I had my way, the American consumer would be well advised to not buy product produced elsewhere.

You think Ford would bring production back here if all Americans quit buying Fords made in Mexico. And bought nothing but NIssan made in Alabama?

How much profit would Ford make on that truck made in Mexico now sitting unsold on a dealers lot?

Waiting for "Superman"

Oh, they've pulled stunts like that here as well. They would put a tax increase levy for the schools in November. When that failed, they would hold a special election just for that issue in January. When that failed, they would sit quiet until August when nobody is paying attention and many people are on vacation. When everybody had landline phones, the school would make sure that they called all the parents to remind them to vote, and that's how they get these things passed.

One time I got upset with these underhanded tactics, so I contacted my Councilman. I had no problem with them having more than one election for the issue, but my gripe was that if they got to have three tries to pass a levy, why can't those opposed have three tries to reverse it?

By your own admission, they did!

Not sure what your point is here.

Schools in my neck of the woods are actually lowering property tax rates so that when value increase the revenue remains the same.

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

You (like many leftists) don't understand what a write-off means.

If a company writes off 10 million dollars, it doesn't mean that they don't give the government 10 million dollars. What it means is that they still spend the 10 million dollars, but don't pay any taxes on it as income.

I deal with all kinds of write-offs and I wish everything I wrote off meant that it was money I didn't give to government. But there is no truth to it.

Now, once again, I present FactCheck.org:

FULL QUESTION:

When Democratic presidential candidates talk about tax breaks for corporations that ship our jobs overseas and tax breaks and subsidies for oil companies, what are they referring to and are they accurate?

FULL ANSWER:

It’s true that Sens. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have associated the transfer of U.S. jobs overseas with tax breaks, or loopholes, for companies that practice off-shoring:

Both candidates are referring to a feature of the U.S. tax code that allows domestic companies to defer taxes on “unrepatriated income.” In other words, revenue that companies earn through their overseas subsidiaries goes untaxed by the IRS as long as it stays off the company’s U.S. books.

But economists, including left-leaning ones, do not agree that eliminating this provision will bring an end to off-shoring. And here’s why: In the U.S., companies are taxed 35 percent on earnings of $10 million to $15 million or on all earnings over $18.3 million. That’s one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world, making an overseas move somewhat attractive to companies that wish to avoid the U.S. tax rate. But that’s not the leading reason companies send jobs overseas. According to a 2005 report by the Government Accountability Office, global technological advancement, increased openness of countries such as China and India, the higher education level of foreign workers in technological fields, and the reduced cost per foreign worker are all contributing factors to off-shoring.

We first addressed this popular theme in 2004, when we reported on a John Kerry campaign ad in which he blamed President George W. Bush for providing tax incentives to companies “outsourcing” jobs overseas. At the time we found that such tax breaks, which do exist, pre-dated the Bush administration and that even Democratic-leaning economists did not support the idea that changing the corporate tax code would end the movement of jobs overseas.

Three years later, in Dec. 2007, we reported on an ad launched by a labor group in support of John Edwards. The ad implied that corporate tax breaks were responsible for the shipment of jobs overseas from an Iowa Maytag plant. We found that the jobs were actually sent to Ohio and that, again, eliminating such tax breaks would not go far in stanching the flow of jobs overseas.

Oil and Gas Company Tax Breaks

SO Ray, you dont think expense write offs reduce taxable income.

If thats what you are saying, you need 1. a new accountant to explain things to you.

And 2. why do companies use the expense write offs.

I mean you say they dont help. SO why do it?

Admiral.

I guess if your POV is centered solely on the benefits to the corporation, moving the the location that has the cheapest labor would be a fine move.

But then I am not as interested in the maximazing of profits for corporations at the expense of my fellow citizens as you and Ray seem to be.

Matter of fact, IF I had my way, the American consumer would be well advised to not buy product produced elsewhere.

You think Ford would bring production back here if all Americans quit buying Fords made in Mexico. And bought nothing but NIssan made in Alabama?

How much profit would Ford make on that truck made in Mexico now sitting unsold on a dealers lot?

Why do you think businesses exist? :oops-28:

Pardon me, but I think you have some liberal ignorance showing!

Much of it???????????

Really???????

How much of it????????

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

Your perv boy Clinton had a whole lot to do with jobs leaving the country. His trade deals have been proven to be disastrous for American Workers. And your boy Hussein just got another terrible one passed recently.

And your boys have also opened the flood gates on Illegal Immigration. That's impacting American Workers bigtime. So your Democrats don't get a free pass when it comes to hurting American Workers. They've played a very big role in it.

Forum List

Back