Wisconsin’s GOP Governor Proposes ‘Middle Class Tax Cut’ That Primarily Benefits The

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Wisconsin’s GOP Governor Proposes ‘Middle Class Tax Cut’ That Primarily Benefits The Rich

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) last week unveiled a supposedly “middle class tax cut.” “”Our middle class tax cut is a down payment on my goal of reducing the tax burden in our state every year I’m in office. I want to cut taxes over and over and over again until we are leading the country in economic recovery,” Walker said.

But according to an analysis by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, Walker’s definition of middle class is a bit off. In fact, his tax cut plan would deliver the majority of its benefits to the top fifth of Wisconsin earners.

Meanwhile, “the lowest 20% of tax filers would receive a tax cut of just $2 a year.” People in the middle fifth would receive a whopping $43 dollars per year in tax relief. Meanwhile, those in the richest fifth would receive nearly $300:

Wisconsin's GOP Governor Proposes 'Middle Class Tax Cut' That Primarily Benefits The Rich | ThinkProgress

Wisconsin’s GOP Governor Proposes ‘Middle Class Tax Cut’ That Primarily Benefits The Rich

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) last week unveiled a supposedly “middle class tax cut.” “”Our middle class tax cut is a down payment on my goal of reducing the tax burden in our state every year I’m in office. I want to cut taxes over and over and over again until we are leading the country in economic recovery,” Walker said.

But according to an analysis by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, Walker’s definition of middle class is a bit off. In fact, his tax cut plan would deliver the majority of its benefits to the top fifth of Wisconsin earners.

Meanwhile, “the lowest 20% of tax filers would receive a tax cut of just $2 a year.” People in the middle fifth would receive a whopping $43 dollars per year in tax relief. Meanwhile, those in the richest fifth would receive nearly $300:

Wisconsin's GOP Governor Proposes 'Middle Class Tax Cut' That Primarily Benefits The Rich | ThinkProgress

Alert the media! Income tax cuts that mainly benefit......those who pay income taxes!

I note "ThinkProgress" doesn't give any percentage details or income limitations included in the Governor's proposal, just that the absolute savings from this tax cut would be less for those who pay less. His plan is to lower the rates applicable to those making less than $161,080, even lower than the president's definition of middle class, and reduces the middle of the three rates the most. As it is still just a proposal it's difficult to determine in percentage terms what the distribution of savings would be, but because it is limited by income it's unlikely to give the greatest percentage benefit to those earning above the limit.

Typical hit piece that provides limited information to make whatever partisan point is desired.

Taxation isn't evenly divided?

Absolutely true.

Here's why

Distribution_of_Annual_Household_Income_in_the_United_States.png

Ratios gave you a hard time back in school?

Forum List

Back