Wisconsin Law requires the teaching of the history of Labor Movement.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Charles_Main, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Does it not trouble anyone that it is Law that Teachers, who are members of a Union, are required by law to teach the history of the Labor Movement and collective Bargaining?

Do you think they are able to teach it unbiased? Really

Wisconsin law requires teaching of history of organized labor – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Do you think they teach about the Darker side of it? The connections to organized crime? The Problems over reaching Unions, like the UAW, have caused with our Economy, The destruction of our manufacturing Base?

I doubt it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  2. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I have as much a problem with the labor movement being part of the curriculum as I do the abolitionist movement or womens sufferage movement. None at all. Obviously worker exploitation, laws are intended to make the work place safe, limit the number of hours employees can be made to work, and laws that restrict the use of child labor are part of our nations history.

3. American I Am

American I Am Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are You flipping kidding me? What about only "Evolution" being taught in schools, why not Creationism, or Scientology along with it? No matter what the subject is, there is always more than one school of thought.

4. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,296
    So if they were non-union, they'd teach it from an anti-union bias.

5. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,296
    Connections to organized crime?

Are you referring to Ronald Reagan being endorsed by the Teamsters?

:lol::lol::lol:

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    The problem is not what they teach, it is the way in which it is taught.

Show both the good things that unions have achieved, and the down side of union movements... and encourage the kids to discuss it and form their own opinions. Radical!!

7. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,527
    What's the way in which it is taught?

8. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,538
    Jimmy Hoffa had connections to the mob. The fact the Teamsters endorsed Ronald Reagan has absolutely no relevancy whatsoever. In fact your statement indirectly infers that mobsters are only Democrats, which I doubt is the case.

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    "The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey [see Democracy after Citizens United | MIT World ]

Unions raised the boat for all Americans, they are the only challenge to corporate power and government neglect and yet the powerful and the greedy have always fought them in action and word. The words do seem to work as we now have a whole generation who have a negative attitude towards what was and may still be the only hope for working people. America is sliding towards third world status and many cheer the path.

"Corporate propaganda directed outwards, that is, to the public at large, has two main objectives: to identify the free enterprise system in popular consciousness with every cherished value, and to identify interventionist governments and strong unions (the only agencies capable of checking a complete domination of society by corporations) with tyranny, oppression and even subversion. The techniques used to achieve these results are variously called 'public relations', 'corporate communications' and 'economic education'." Alex Carey 'Taking the Risk out of Democracy'

10. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,974
    What's the problem?

Are you denying that the labor movement is a hugely important part of American history?