Wisconsin doctors back teachers protest

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Some Wisconsin doctors threw their support behind teachers protesting the Republican governor's efforts to strip unions of their bargaining powers, saying they would write sick notes for teachers to skip work to demonstrate.

The union protesters have been picketing the state capitol in Madison for five days, angered by Gov. Scott Walker's proposed bill, which has the backing of the Republican controlled state Senate.

The Madison School District has said teachers who call in sick to protest won't be paid, but a group of licensed Wisconsin doctors came to the capitol today saying they would write a physician's note for anyone who asked.

Dr. Kathy Oriel told ABC affiliate WKOW-TV in Madison that the doctors realize they could get in trouble for their offer.

"We think its worth the risk," she said. "Teachers have no choice."

Wisconsin Doctors Tell Teachers: Call in Sick to Continue Protests - ABC News

Ah, the world according to dishonest ABC headlines. You don't have to go far down the story line to see that ABC qualifies the headline. It appears that (only) SOME (unnamed) Wisconsin doctors according to the reporter agree to jeopardize their licenses by breaking the law and writing fake excuses for municipal workers. According to Websters dictionary the word "some" could mean more than one and less than three.

I thought this was going to say that they walked off the job in support of their fellow "union" brothers....
This would have made fat head Ed Schultz of MSNBC chuckle his fool head off.

Collective bargaining is inconsistent with the right to freedom of association. These doctors should lose their license to practice for lying.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Find some video of the Koch brothers or any other parasites who have increased their share of national wealth by two percent during the last two years, i.e., the greatest economic downturn since the Great Depression.

Unions are not the problem; They are among the victims.

Wall Street and its Republican AND Demcoratic handmaidens are responsible or have you forgotten the $13 trillion bailout provided by taxpayers?

Now we doctors and teachers being bad examples for school kids. Most Wisconsin residents must be feeling so embarassed by the action of a small minority.

Can nationwide strikes be very distant in our futures?

I think not.

Not if the cost of things continues to climb while unemployment and depressed wages continue to be our fate.

Today they're going after public employees unions. But that's not where it will end

Tomorrow who knows what class of workers will be next in line for this sort of treatment?

Many Wisconsin residents aren't confused about which small minority is increasing their wealth during the hardest economic times since the Great Depression.

So a small minority is increasing its wealth?

As you continue to conduct your class warfare, are you aware that the average Wisconsin teacher's salary is 42% higher than the average Wisconsin citizen and that the averge Wisconsin Teacher enjoys much more vacation and better health care and a pension that is unknown to most Wisconsin workers?

You are endorsing a move to make the already wide gap in income between the average worker and the average teacher even wider. You are also demanding that the lower paid average citizen pays more in tax so the teachers can widen the gap between their respective incomes.

Which small minority that gets more money is it that you are saying needs less and which small minority that gets more money are you saying needs to get more?

My God! Class warfare is so confusing.

I think not.

Not if the cost of things continues to climb while unemployment and depressed wages continue to be our fate.

Today they're going after public employees unions. But that's not where it will end

Tomorrow who knows what class of workers will be next in line for this sort of treatment?

The problem with your thinking is this: To support the cost of the teachers' wages and benefits, taxes on the rank and file citizen must be increased. Since the teachers are paid so much more than the average, this causes a review of the actual situation.

That situation is that the average student is less capable to compete on the world stage and the average teacher is making more and retiring with more and being given more in terms of benefits than their non-public sector companions. Teachers are being paid more and producing a product that is lower quality.

What's wrong with this picture?

What class of worker is next to earn 42% more than the average with free benefits and a defined benefit pension? I hope it's me.

I think not.

Wouldn't the effectiveness of national strikes depend to a great extent on the participation rate of first responders?

Maybe that's part of the answer to who's next on the corporate hit list.

Privatization of police and fire departments?

Many Wisconsin residents aren't confused about which small minority is increasing their wealth during the hardest economic times since the Great Depression.

So a small minority is increasing its wealth?

As you continue to conduct your class warfare, are you aware that the average Wisconsin teacher's salary is 42% higher than the average Wisconsin citizen and that the averge Wisconsin Teacher enjoys much more vacation and better health care and a pension that is unknown to most Wisconsin workers?

You are endorsing a move to make the already wide gap in income between the average worker and the average teacher even wider. You are also demanding that the lower paid average citizen pays more in tax so the teachers can widen the gap between their respective incomes.

Which small minority that gets more money is it that you are saying needs less and which small minority that gets more money are you saying needs to get more?

My God! Class warfare is so confusing.
How does the average Wisconsin teacher's education level compare to the average citizen in that state?

Compare the "wide gap" between teacher and citizen to the chasm that exists between Wisconsin's citizens/teachers and the billion dollar a year incomes of those who crashed Wall Street and the Wisconsin economy.

Class war at levels of inequality seen today isn't confusing.

It's Natural Selection.

Forum List

Back