Windows 8.1 --- The start button is back!!!....well...not really.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
How funny is this?
Sooo...to address all of the complaints about Windows 8 - Microsoft has brought back the Start button......only when you push it now...it just brings takes you back to the home page that everyone complains about.
WTF? - This is hilarious.:lol:

Windows 8 is a bit of a cock up.
I have a super duper seriously fancy laptop but windows 8 spoils it a bit.
Think happy thoughts; it's not half as shit as vista.

So it was in the Developer Preview.

I have not physically seen it - but I am in disbelief that all it does is take you back to the main screen. One of the single greatest complaints about 8 was the disappearance of the Start button. To bring it "back" like this is basically an insult to every customer. Almost like "well - here it is - have fun with it". :badgrin:

So it was in the Developer Preview.

I have not physically seen it - but I am in disbelief that all it does is take you back to the main screen. One of the single greatest complaints about 8 was the disappearance of the Start button. To bring it "back" like this is basically an insult to every customer. Almost like "well - here it is - have fun with it". :badgrin:
Well, here is my thread about it:

Well, since I opened such a thread in a closed area here, there were not many interested guys.
So, I open a new one viewable for everybody - of course with new information.
Microsoft wants to share the new Windows 8 with us - without conditions and for free.
You can download it here - one click and the download runs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/apps/br229516

I just tried it and I like it. Even this everything but final version of Windows 8 is running fast and has good features. It just stops booting sometimes.

OK, at first Windows starts with a new surface called Metro Style, Germans know, why I call it Kachelmann:
startkachelmann.jpg

As you see, this is a touchscreen based surface, also known from the Windows Phone 7 OS.
It is replacing the start menu. While it is a good idea to include such a surface into the OS, it is not a very good idea to disable the start menu. I will write about that later.
Metro doesn´t replace anything else in the function to disable options. So, there is a Deskotp, displayed as App in the Metro. The Desktop:
desktophja.jpg

You can add the Computer symbol in the Personalize menu.
The best thing - even if "purists" don´t like it - is the Ribbon Explorer. It provides many options with easy access:
explorer2y.jpg
[Screenshot missing - See Windows 8/8.1 for similar look]

Well, it´s just great! Eben better than Opus IMO.
There is an option to handle ISOs now, mounting an ISO will create a virtual device, ejecting it will delete the virtual device:
72803151.jpg

This is the Metro control Panel. Choosing the last option "More Setting" will open the Windows 7 like panel:
systemsteuerung1.jpg

The manage option has not changed:
managef.jpg

This is the Internet Explorer 10:
internetexplorer1forhum.jpg

And this one is the IE in the Metro Style:
internetexplorer2fortel.jpg

Well, the Basic Informations:
basicinformation.jpg

XXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you folks, I would buy Start8. I gives you the traditional start button, and it works just like it did in Windows 7.

I hardly even noticed the 8.1 update. Cause it sucks.

I've already decided not to upgrade to Win8. I'll use Win7 until they no longer support it then permanently switch over to Linux, if not before.

I've already decided not to upgrade to Win8. I'll use Win7 until they no longer support it then permanently switch over to Linux, if not before.

Ditto.
I have one Windows 7 laptop that I bought a year or so ago.
We switched to a browser-based business system in 2009, so I no longer need a windows machine for work. I prefer Linux by far, and is faaaar cheaper to operate and basically impervious to viruses.

How funny is this?
Sooo...to address all of the complaints about Windows 8 - Microsoft has brought back the Start button......only when you push it now...it just brings takes you back to the home page that everyone complains about.

You can set it to bring you to the Apps view, which is not the page all the luddites hate.

There already is a start button. You just move your cursor to one of the right corners, and it fades in.

How funny is this?

You can set it to bring you to the Apps view, which is not the page all the luddites hate.

Luddites?? Bit of an association stretch don'tcha think........ :lol:

How funny is this?

I love 8, the only thing that would make it better is if I actually had touch.

Okay, I'm glad it works for you. If I had a tablet I might consider it but I don't and it doesn't do it for me on laptops and desktops. It's simply a matter of personal choice and I know of no one who is out to "destroy" Win8 because it's a modern labor saving device that might take away jobs.........

Okay, I'm glad it works for you. If I had a tablet I might consider it but I don't and it doesn't do it for me on laptops and desktops. It's simply a matter of personal choice and I know of no one who is out to "destroy" Win8 because it's a modern labor saving device that might take away jobs.........
If Win8 RTM would support x86 applications, tablets would be interesting.

I do not see much of a difference I like 8 and I like 8.1 I have touch on my all-in-one and my notebook

There are two versions of Windows 8. The one in the cheap tablets only runs the apps, the one in Computers and the Surface Pro tablets supports everything.

There are two versions of Windows 8. The one in the cheap tablets only runs the apps, the one in Computers and the Surface Pro tablets supports everything.
Yes, Win8 RTM is not made for x86 but for ARM CPUs and therefore does not natively run x86 applications. But it should not be a problem for Microsoft to develop an emulator.

Forum List

Back