Wind Turbine Kills 4!

Wait, so are you saying all synthetic oil comes from the ground?
No, Exxon Mobile that makes Synthetic Oil for Wind Turbines states that is how they make their product. I would imagine somewhere in a government laboratory they make synthetic oil from marijuana but I have not heard or seen that being used as commercially available lubricant.

Of course, you realise that wind turbines are lubricated with synthetic oils...well, I assume you do.

Lubricants | Synthetic Engine Oil |Synthetic Lubricants - Mobil 1 Australia
What are Synthetic Oils?
What is a synthetic lubricant?
A synthetic lubricant contains more highly refined base oils than those used in conventional mineral oils, offering you superior protection and performance. Synthetic engine oils provide a variety of benefits that keep your engine running at optimal performance for years.

To understand synthetic engine oils, let's look at the origins of engine oils.

There are two basic types of lubricants available:

1. Conventional mineral oils are the traditional types and are still most widely used.
  2. Synthetic lubricants which are steadily growing in popularity.

Both types are made from crude oil that comes from the ground. The difference is that synthetic oils are made from more advanced refining processes and are of a higher purity and quality than conventional mineral oils. This not only removes more impurities from the crude oil, it enables individual molecules in the oil to be tailored to the demands of modern engines. These customized molecules provide higher levels of protection and performance
The technology of synthetic oil. How is synthetic oil made?
"By contrast, synthetic oil is not distilled from crude oil. It is made through a chemical process known as the Fischer-Tropsch process, starting with raw materials like methane, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide. This process was developed by Germany in WWII, when that country's access to crude oil was very limited.

Grades of oil.
Motor oils are derived from base stocks. That is, a generic oil base is modified with additives to produce a lubricant with the desired properties. A base stock oil with no additives would not perform very well at all. Base stocks are classified by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and fall into one of five categories.

• Group I and II - these are mineral oils derived from crude oil
  • Group III - this is a highly refined mineral oil made through a process called hydrocracking. In North America this group is considered a synthetic oil, for marketing purposes.
  • Group IV - these are true synthetic oils, known as Polyalphaolefin (PAO).
  • Group V - these are synthetic stocks other than PAO's and include esters and other compounds."

Of course, and you must realize that Synthetic Oil is made from crude oil, it is simply refined more, and distilled for purity, at least I assume you realize that Synthetic Oil is made from crude oil.
I assume you know that isn't always true.[/QUOTE]
In the case of Lubricants for Wind Turbines, it all comes from Crude Oil.

And coal is used to make dyes, plastics, artificial sweeteners, fertilizer, pesticides, pigments and herbicides. Are all those products perfect, or are you just so down on sustainable energy sources?
Sustainable Energy does not exist, it is a marketing campaign to sell something that has failed. $36 Trillion dollars is at stake.
Each and every year sustainable energy secures a,larger portion of energy use. Fossil fuels are limited in their supply. Fossil fuels also contribute to greenhouse gas pollution.

Why would you deny not only the market share of sustainable energy but the long term need for it?

Hmmm...disturbing.
All about Synthetic Motor Oil

"Many consumers are not just surprised but quite often shocked to learn that the "Synthetic Oils" for which they pay premium price (3 to 9 times that of Petroleum Oil) are not only not performing any better than average Petroleum Motor Oil, but also are not "Synthetic" at all!"

"Back labels of Mobil 1 products for many years had following statement:
" * exclusive of carrier oil"
in substantially smaller print when compared to other information on the back label.
While at the same time the front label declared the Mobil 1 as:
"100% Synthetic * ""

"When it comes to the Lube Oil Industry and the various Lube Producers, one would expect to find an universal fit all definition of "synthetic" that everyone in the Lube Industry would consent to.
However, that is not the case and each and every Oil Company, Lube Company as well as each Marketer, have their own very "legally" specific definition of their very own - that fits the description of what their products are actually made of !"

Of course, and you must realize that Synthetic Oil is made from crude oil, it is simply refined more, and distilled for purity, at least I assume you realize that Synthetic Oil is made from crude oil.
I assume you know that isn't always true.
In the case of Lubricants for Wind Turbines, it all comes from Crude Oil.
Dow would disagree with you;
Dow Introduces Lubricant For Wind Turbine Gearboxes
http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...ucon/pdfs/noreg/816-00038.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Grades of oil.
Motor oils are derived from base stocks. That is, a generic oil base is modified with additives to produce a lubricant with the desired properties. A base stock oil with no additives would not perform very well at all. Base stocks are classified by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and fall into one of five categories.
  • Group IV - these are true synthetic oils, known as Polyalphaolefin (PAO).
  • Group V - these are synthetic stocks other than PAO's and include esters and other compounds."
Nice try, but going back to the Germany of the 1920's does not prove a thing, other than you can not find a synthetic lubricant that is not made from Crude Oil, but that said, your link states in technical terms, that synthetic oil comes from crude oil base stocks.

I will follow the links and ask, where do Hydrocarbon Molecules come from? Coal, Natural Gas, and Crude Oil!
Synthetic oil contains none of these contaminants and the hydrocarbon molecules are very uniform,

And then, following this link in iqb's link it takes me to wikipedia which will follow
Group IV - these are true synthetic oils, known as Polyalphaolefin (PAO).

Polyolefin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Polyolefin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Polyalphaolefin
A polyolefin is any of a class of polymers produced from a simple olefin (also called an alkene with the general formula CnH2n) as amonomer.

Alkene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alkene
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Olefin)

Okay, now we get Alkene, whiich come from natural gas and crude oil

BBC - GCSE Bitesize: Cracking
Fractions that are produced by the distillation of crude oil can go through a process called cracking, a chemical reaction which produces smaller hydrocarbons, including alkanes and alkenes.

Thanks for the link, as it shows, Synthetic Lubricants come from Crude Oil.

Thank you again, DOW produces its Synthetic Lubricant from Dow Introduces Lubricant For Wind Turbine Gearboxes, Dow UCON™ GL-320 lubricant is a new polyalkylene glycol

Which; http://www.dow.com/ucon/osp/pdf/L104_22_DOW_Lube_Tech_v2.PDF, Conventional polyalkylene glycols that are derived from the polymerisation of ethylene oxide

Which is from, Ethylene oxide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Ethylene oxide is industrially produced by direct oxidation of ethylene

That is made from, Ethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Ethylene is produced in the petrochemical industry by steam cracking. In this process, gaseous or light liquid hydrocarbons are heated to 750–950 °C,

Each and every year sustainable energy secures a,larger portion of energy use. Fossil fuels are limited in their supply. Fossil fuels also contribute to greenhouse gas pollution.
Why would you deny not only the market share of sustainable energy but the long term need for it?
Because it is the product of a government that is abusing its power.
Because it is a 1,000 times more expensive
Because it is extremely weak.
Because it takes 1,000 of miles
Because the Bureau of Land Management gives the land to Wind and Solar
Because it takes Oil and Coal to produce the millions of individual wind turbines and solar panels

But simply, in Southern California, I have read about corporation after corporation going bankrupt building and maintaining the Wind Farms in Palm Springs, and now I am watching them tear down 2nd and 3rd generation Wind Turbines. Which only proves these things do not last more than 7-8 years.

It is all false promises and lies. There is no long term need for Solar and Wind, they are weak performers, extremely weak.

LOL Because Elektra is a foolish a liar as Silly Billy.

Something that someone as dumb as Elektra apparently does not realize is that nobody in industry just throws away the oil that they drain from gear boxes. Especially synthetic oils.

LOL Because Elektra is a foolish a liar as Silly Billy.

Something that someone as dumb as Elektra apparently does not realize is that nobody in industry just throws away the oil that they drain from gear boxes. Especially synthetic oils.
What are you talking about, Old Crock? Make it as easy to understand as PIE!

Forum List

Back