wind power, winning all the way

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Wind Farms Flourish Across The U.S. As Interest In Renewable Energy Skyrockets

Wind energy is expected to make up about 4.6 percent of total U.S. electric power generation by 2015, totaling about 77,000 megawatts of wind power capacity nationwide, U.S. Energy Information Administration data show. That’s up from 3 percent in 2012, when total U.S. wind power generation capacity was about 60,000 megawatts. One megawatt of wind power is enough energy to provide electricity to roughly 300 homes

4.6% is a significant amount of power. And it is just the beginning. In the meantime, solar is coming into the picture as the photovoltaic prices continue to come down. Good possibility that over 50% of our power will from non-fossil fuel sources by mid-century.

I wonder how many people who love windmills are willing to live near them. Maybe they should visit overnight at a wind farm and listen to WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! all night. All day. Every day.

There's a town on very Liberal Cape Cod that wants that windmill GONE!!!!

I call BS............

Here is the EIA estimate of energy production, by source, looking to 2040. All renewables COMBINED only come to 12% as fossil fuels dominate.

Institute for Energy Research | EIA Forecast: Fossil Fuels Remain Dominant Through 2040

Scroll down to the 3rd graph..........this from the OBAMA EIA........provides a quick jolt of reality that even in 2040, renewabes continue to be a fringe joke.
This idea that wind will provide 50% of our electricy is waaaaaaaaaay off the reservation!!!!

And the 4.6% number pretty much sums it up for ALL renewables, given that solar only contributes 0.2%, thus, renewables COMBINED are still less than 5%...........not exactly party throwing time if Im a green camper.

Last edited:
It would be a shame to not harness some of the hot air coming from D.C. but I worry about the birds, unlike those mesmerized by an anti-oil agenda.

Wind energy is expected to make up about 4.6 percent of total U.S. electric power generation by 2015, totaling about 77,000 megawatts of wind power capacity nationwide, U.S. Energy Information Administration data show. That’s up from 3 percent in 2012, when total U.S. wind power generation capacity was about 60,000 megawatts. One megawatt of wind power is enough energy to provide electricity to roughly 300 homes

4.6% is a significant amount of power. And it is just the beginning. In the meantime, solar is coming into the picture as the photovoltaic prices continue to come down. Good possibility that over 50% of our power will from non-fossil fuel sources by mid-century.

Wind only provides on average 15-30% of nominal output so don't fall for the numbers because they usually publish the nominal not the actual output.

So your 77,000 MW is in the real world 11550 - 23100 MW

You're repeating the same lie over and over and over again.. Those numbers are ALWAYS placarded Ratings. the ACTUAL production is about 1/3 of that AT BEST.. So the current percentage of PRODUCED power is more like 1.5%.. Furthermore, no home is powered solely by wind.. No 7-11 stores either.. And the fact that it cannot be relied on as a PRIMARY source of power makes this just an expensive, interesting supplement..

<<<< Edited to Add:

Your article VIRTUALLY ADMITS the numbers are crap...
One megawatt of wind power is enough energy to provide electricity to roughly 300 homes

Average power draw is about 1KW.. So 1MWatt would be 1000 homes.. They DERATED THEIR OWN HYPE to avoid an outright lie..

Yeppers...wind is sure blowin'......chunks...that is....

Hat tip to polarbear for the links...

"A $40 million wind turbine factory in northeast Arkansas that opened in 2010 with plans to employ more than 700 people announced Friday it would end production and lay off 40 workers.

Germany-based Nordex SE, parent company of Nordex USA, said the company had not received enough orders due to an uncertain U.S. market, overcapacity in the industry and an unstable outlook for a federal tax production credit.

The company said factory workers would be let go after existing orders have been filled. The layoffs are expected to start in October.

“This is a sad day for all of us at Nordex USA. We will lose valued colleagues, who have done their very best for us, but the decision was inevitable considering the underutilization of our plant,” Nordex USA President and CEO Ralf Sigrist said in a news release.

Arkansas / Nordex wind turbine plant to stop production and lay off | Job Market Monitor

Siemens, a German conglomerate, announced Tuesday it is laying off 146 employees at its wind turbine nacelle plant in Hutchinson, leaving just 152 employees there.

All told, 615 employees in Siemens’ wind power business will lose their jobs. Siemens said the change would primarily affect employees in Iowa, Kansas and Florida.

Siemens laying off half its work force in Hutchinson - Wichita Business Journal

I wonder how many people who love windmills are willing to live near them. Maybe they should visit overnight at a wind farm and listen to WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! WHUMP! all night. All day. Every day.

We have a brand new 1 MW wind turbine where I often work and it is absolutely silent. I think progress has been made with the whump.

We have a brand new 1 MW wind turbine where I often work and it is absolutely silent. I think progress has been made with the whump.

In real terms it's a .15 MW or a .3 MW at best

That's not the point. You implied that they always produce an unpleasant noise. My experience shows that is simply not true. I fully admit that many wind turbines have been built that produce an unpleasant noise but at least one new design does not and I imagine early coal fired power plants did the same thing... as well as spewing choking smoke and the sulfurous stench of burning bitumen.

Last edited:
I call BS............

Here is the EIA estimate of energy production, by source, looking to 2040. All renewables COMBINED only come to 12% as fossil fuels dominate.

Institute for Energy Research | EIA Forecast: Fossil Fuels Remain Dominant Through 2040

Scroll down to the 3rd graph..........this from the OBAMA EIA........provides a quick jolt of reality that even in 2040, renewabes continue to be a fringe joke.
This idea that wind will provide 50% of our electricy is waaaaaaaaaay off the reservation!!!!

And the 4.6% number pretty much sums it up for ALL renewables, given that solar only contributes 0.2%, thus, renewables COMBINED are still less than 5%...........not exactly party throwing time if Im a green camper.

From your own link;

Screen-Shot-2013-12-17-at-7.29.19-AM.png

In 2000 renewables were only 9% of total energy and the bulk of that was hydro. In just a decade renewables have jumped by 33% almost entirely from wind and solar sources. The climb to 16% will be from those same two technologies maturing and becoming more mainstream.

And FYI utilities are the biggest investors in solar and wind because they know that the price of fossil fuels will continue to escalate while the wind and sunshine are free! Economically they make a compelling argument. Environmentally they do too. None of those coal ash ponds that are destroying the rivers. None of the toxic nuclear waste. None of the fossil fuel greenhouse gases that need to be scrubbed.

What? The best they can promise from those eagle killing monstrosities is 4% of the grid energy supply maybe next year if they hold together? Do the radical bird killing environmentalists allow for the fossil fuel energy used in the maintenance of the windmills?

Last edited:
What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you think coal-fueled power plants are GOOD for the world's wildlife?

What? The best they can promise from those eagle killing monstrosities is 4% of the grid energy supply maybe next year if they hold together? Do the radical bird killing environmentalists allow for the fossil fuel energy used in the maintenance of the windmills?

How much fossil fuel is used to maintain windmills as opposed to burning fossil fuels 27*7 just to produce the same amount electricity? Do you believe that it is the same?

That's not the point. You implied that they always produce an unpleasant noise. My experience shows that is simply not true. I fully admit that many wind turbines have been built that produce an unpleasant noise but at least one new design does not and I imagine early coal fired power plants did the same thing... as well as spewing choking smoke and the sulfurous stench of burning bitumen.

I didn't imply that.

Yeppers...wind is sure blowin'......chunks...that is....

Hat tip to polarbear for the links...

"A $40 million wind turbine factory in northeast Arkansas that opened in 2010 with plans to employ more than 700 people announced Friday it would end production and lay off 40 workers.

Germany-based Nordex SE, parent company of Nordex USA, said the company had not received enough orders due to an uncertain U.S. market, overcapacity in the industry and an unstable outlook for a federal tax production credit.

The company said factory workers would be let go after existing orders have been filled. The layoffs are expected to start in October.

“This is a sad day for all of us at Nordex USA. We will lose valued colleagues, who have done their very best for us, but the decision was inevitable considering the underutilization of our plant,” Nordex USA President and CEO Ralf Sigrist said in a news release.

Arkansas / Nordex wind turbine plant to stop production and lay off | Job Market Monitor

Siemens, a German conglomerate, announced Tuesday it is laying off 146 employees at its wind turbine nacelle plant in Hutchinson, leaving just 152 employees there.

All told, 615 employees in Siemens’ wind power business will lose their jobs. Siemens said the change would primarily affect employees in Iowa, Kansas and Florida.

Siemens laying off half its work force in Hutchinson - Wichita Business Journal

There was a downturn in the wind turbine industry, just like any other, but all signs now show that growth has resumed. The long term global trend is still about 10%. Developing economies are investing in wind power because it is a cheaper and more efficient power source than fossil fuel plants and it doesn't impact their balance of payments by having to import fuel that fluctuates on the open markets.

I call BS............

From your own link;

Screen-Shot-2013-12-17-at-7.29.19-AM.png

In 2000 renewables were only 9% of total energy and the bulk of that was hydro. In just a decade renewables have jumped by 33% almost entirely from wind and solar sources. The climb to 16% will be from those same two technologies maturing and becoming more mainstream.

And FYI utilities are the biggest investors in solar and wind because they know that the price of fossil fuels will continue to escalate while the wind and sunshine are free! Economically they make a compelling argument. Environmentally they do too. None of those coal ash ponds that are destroying the rivers. None of the toxic nuclear waste. None of the fossil fuel greenhouse gases that need to be scrubbed.

Indeed......a government statistic brings the # to 16%:D:D And as we have seen, particularly in the past 5 years, the government statistics are ALWAYS overinflated!! Private projections are far less......around 10% - 11%. Mainstream??!:up: Perhaps to the radicals.

Forum List

Back