Wind farms may threaten whooping cranes

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By MARIA SUDEKUM FISHER, Associated Press Writer
27 minutes ago

STAFFORD, Kan. - Whooping cranes have waged a valiant fight against extinction, but federal officials warn of a new potential threat to the endangered birds: wind farms.

Down to about 15 in 1941, the gargantuan birds that migrate each fall from Canada to Texas now number 266, thanks to conservation efforts.

But because wind energy has gained such traction, whooping cranes could again be at risk — either from crashing into the towering wind turbines and transmission lines or because of habitat lost to the wind farms.

"Basically you can overlay the strongest, best areas for wind turbine development with the whooping crane migration corridor," said Tom Stehn, whooping crane coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

more ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080228/ap_on_sc/whoopers_vs_wind_farms

The ultimate liberal dilemna ... green power vs ecology preservation. :badgrin:

The ultimate liberal dilemna ... green power vs ecology preservation. :badgrin:
Solar power is the solution. Or perhaps you prefer to completely destroy our ecology with fossil fuels and nuclear waste?

Perhaps you'd prefer to stop your incessant assuming a stance for others?

Solar power is a solution to nothing.

Unlimited sources of energy are not solutions? Oh right, no one can get rich on unlimited energy.

Unlimited sources of energy are not solutions? Oh right, no one can get rich on unlimited energy.

Solar power is not unlimited. Unless you have figured out the slight problem of how to set up solar panels in space and beam the energy to earth.

However, I notice that report of making Hydrogen at 250 percent of the energy input has slipped silently out of the news.

Solar power is not unlimited. It is contingent upon weather mainly. I'd think someone from Maine, or MA or wherever it is you live up in Popsicleland would understand that simple concept.

RGS is correct ... the Earth's atmosphere would have to be overcome as the main obstacle to making solar power a consistent and viable energy source.

Yes, someone will become rich because the infrastructure will have to be set up in order to obtain the energy. And NO, there's nothing wrong with someone having the ingenuity and wherewithall to make this happen. It's called capitalism.

Wind generators COULD be a great thing.........................that is of course if they actually apply the energy where it's actually produced, to create cheaper energy costs so that areas can flourish and produce things cheaper.................instead of the current/currant power theft and price gouged deregulated horseshit they're pulling.......................while actually employing people to count dead birds..........................:rolleyes:

Solar power is not unlimited. It is contingent upon weather mainly. I'd think someone from Maine, or MA or wherever it is you live up in Popsicleland would understand that simple concept.

RGS is correct ... the Earth's atmosphere would have to be overcome as the main obstacle to making solar power a consistent and viable energy source.

Wrong, there is plenty of desert, plains, and southern areas where solar panel farms can be set up to collect energy from the sun. We would generate electricty and store that in batteries for the whole country to use.

The sun is an unlimited source of energy. If there were no sun, there would not be a need for energy because we would not exist. It is that simple.

Wrong, there is plenty of desert, plains, and southern areas where solar panel farms can be set up to collect energy from the sun. We would generate electricty and store that in batteries for the whole country to use.

The sun is an unlimited source of energy. If there were no sun, there would not be a need for energy because we would not exist. It is that simple.

Ever lived in the desert, junior? Didn't think so. You don't know what you're talking about as usual.

And guess what ... just like the people wh own the oil ... you PAY to get any energy generated from my "desert" and it ain't cheap. It's THAT simple.

Feel free to go study up on the topic or preferrably just go period. You have nothing to offer here.

Ever lived in the desert, junior? Didn't think so. You don't know what you're talking about as usual.

And guess what ... just like the people wh own the oil ... you PAY to get any energy generated from my "desert" and it ain't cheap. It's THAT simple.

Feel free to go study up on the topic or preferrably just go period. You have nothing to offer here.

It ain't cheap Gunny because their just dumping it on the grid with all the other sources, which really proves nothing about cost to produce and then price gouge the hell out of it ..................I live by one of the largest windfields on the East coast and don't get one kilowatt hour from it...........it's all sent somewhere else?:rolleyes: :eusa_wall:

Seeing what companies charge for solar panels, I'd say a lot of people are getting rich off of solar power....

And you can bet Exxon and GE would love to have those solar farm construction contracts and perpetual royalties on the power they produce... Another reason I own energy stocks....they will control whatever energy we end up going to.

Why would I have to live in the desert if we set up large scale - solar panel farms to generate electricity? It sounds more to me that you do not know what you are talking about.

And I don't think solar panel farms should be privatized...that would drive the cost to the consumer through the roof. No, the price should be kept low. In fact, if everyone had solar panels on their homes & apartment buildings, the need for the energy from solar panel farms in the desert would drop. The need would still exist, but it would balance out.

Gunny, you seem to be out-guned on this one. :rofl:

Forum List

Back