Will You Blame Trump for Electing Hillary?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I can see the following scenario if Hillary is elected: After her supporters are faced with the reality of a completely corrupt and incompetent government which is leading us down a rabbit hole of economic decline and political correctness, they will search for a scapegoat to assuage their guilt and relieve them of personal responsibility for electing her:

"Donald Trump made me do it."

Nope, this is all on the american public who has been granting its tacit consent while this bipartisan wealth redistribution process has been coming at us for half a century now.

We are getting Hillary, a very flawed candidate, because the electorate realize Trump is more flawed.

Back in the '80s in Philadelphia there was a mayoral election brewing. One newspaper writer was taken to task because he was constantly harping on the many faults of a candidate very much like Rump, Frank Rizzo -- very much the same faults. The task-taker wanted to know why he wasn't equally critical of Rizzo's alternative, Wilson Goode (who was himself no prize).

The writer put it this way:
"So let me be clear. Wilson Goode is a disaster. He's terrible. He's so bad --- only Frank Rizzo could make you vote for him."

That's how it works. This is the same thing all over again. For those of us who lived in Philadelphia in the '80s, this is a rerun.

>> Rocco DiSipio is a small-business owner in a working-class neighborhood where times aren’t quite as good as they once were. He isn’t used to being interviewed by reporters, but it’s primary season, and journalists want to know what the man-on-the-street thinks of the brash conservative candidate who seems to do everything wrong — and keeps winning anyway.

“This election has some racism,” admits DiSipio, acknowledging that his candidate can be blunt, or worse. His pick doesn’t have the typical qualifications, either, but for DiSipio, that’s part of the appeal. “He’s going to stand behind his word if it kills him. He can flunk at it, but you can’t say he won’t try.”

Traditional elites and professional politicians are baffled that such a man could rise so high in the polls. He defies political conventional wisdom at every turn, flouting party leaders and blithely dropping quotes that would wreck any other campaign. “This is not a normal election,” a Republican operator tells a Washington Post reporter. “All normal voting patterns are out the window.”

This sounds like a dispatch from the Republican presidential primary campaign, and the candidate sounds a lot like Donald Trump.

But the quotes are actually from Philadelphia circa 1971, a time when a big bloc of the city fell for a different candidate who radiated authority and charisma — someone who would take charge and tell things as they were. That candidate was Frank Rizzo, whose unpolished tough-guy bravado, labor-friendly conservative populism and strident appeals for law and order spoke directly to the concerns of struggling working- and middle-class whites. Today, Donald Trump makes a very similar case to very similar voters.

Both men are known for their outsized personalities, unfiltered rhetoric, hatred for the media and utter assurance in their own righteousness. Both weaponized calculated bursts of invective: Rizzo promised to “make Attila the Hun look like a faggot,” while Trump assures his fans that he’ll “bomb the shit out of ISIS.” << Phillymag

I don't think Hillary's flaws will impede her performance as President.

She's going to be a lot like Obama.

No drama, with even fewer rhetorical speeches.

It's going to be a boring 4-8 years

Like the last 4-8 years? Or do you consider riots in the streets and Islamic terrorism to be boring?

Back in the '80s in Philadelphia there was a mayoral election brewing. One newspaper writer was taken to task because he was constantly harping on the many faults of a candidate very much like Rump, Frank Rizzo -- very much the same faults. The task-taker wanted to know why he wasn't equally critical of Rizzo's alternative, Wilson Goode (who was himself no prize).

"So let me be clear. Wilson Goode is a disaster. He's terrible. He's so bad --- only Frank Rizzo could make you vote for him."

That's how it works. This is the same thing all over again. For those of us who lived in Philadelphia in the '80s, this is a rerun.

>> Rocco DiSipio is a small-business owner in a working-class neighborhood where times aren’t quite as good as they once were. He isn’t used to being interviewed by reporters, but it’s primary season, and journalists want to know what the man-on-the-street thinks of the brash conservative candidate who seems to do everything wrong — and keeps winning anyway.

“This election has some racism,” admits DiSipio, acknowledging that his candidate can be blunt, or worse. His pick doesn’t have the typical qualifications, either, but for DiSipio, that’s part of the appeal. “He’s going to stand behind his word if it kills him. He can flunk at it, but you can’t say he won’t try.”

Traditional elites and professional politicians are baffled that such a man could rise so high in the polls. He defies political conventional wisdom at every turn, flouting party leaders and blithely dropping quotes that would wreck any other campaign. “This is not a normal election,” a Republican operator tells a Washington Post reporter. “All normal voting patterns are out the window.”

This sounds like a dispatch from the Republican presidential primary campaign, and the candidate sounds a lot like Donald Trump.

But the quotes are actually from Philadelphia circa 1971, a time when a big bloc of the city fell for a different candidate who radiated authority and charisma — someone who would take charge and tell things as they were. That candidate was Frank Rizzo, whose unpolished tough-guy bravado, labor-friendly conservative populism and strident appeals for law and order spoke directly to the concerns of struggling working- and middle-class whites. Today, Donald Trump makes a very similar case to very similar voters.

Both men are known for their outsized personalities, unfiltered rhetoric, hatred for the media and utter assurance in their own righteousness. Both weaponized calculated bursts of invective: Rizzo promised to “make Attila the Hun look like a faggot,” while Trump assures his fans that he’ll “bomb the shit out of ISIS.” << Phillymag

Great description of form vs. substance. Which do you prefer?

Like the last 4-8 years? Or do you consider riots in the streets and Islamic terrorism to be boring?
I don't find people dying from Islamic Terrorism any different than some criminal shooting someone.

Nobody is rioting outside my front door, so I don't care.

You've been duped by the oldest political trick in the book.

The guy who wants to get elected, has told you things are coming unraveled, and all you have to do to get things under control...is elect them.

Great description of form vs. substance. Which do you prefer?

I assume you mean style vs. substance. I look through the former to see the latter. If it exists at all.

The former is the illusion, the latter the reality. Style is based on emotion, which in tandem with $2.75 will buy you an overpriced cup of coffee and not much else.

The jwoodies are the ignorant pawns of a demagoguery as old as Cain and Abel. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

We are getting Hillary, a very flawed candidate, because the electorate realize Trump is more flawed.

Boring, and economically rewarding for those that have done the work to make themselves desired employees. Just as the Obama administration has been.

The jwoodies are the ignorant pawns of a demagoguery as old as Cain and Abel. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Keep trying, Jake. Even you insults are wearing thin.
Don't have to try at all, because your comments are yawns and predictable nonsense. The fact is any other GOP candidate would have beat Hillary, so, yes, Trump is da man responsible for her election.

I can see the following scenario if Hillary is elected: After her supporters are faced with the reality of a completely corrupt and incompetent government which is leading us down a rabbit hole of economic decline and political correctness, they will search for a scapegoat to assuage their guilt and relieve them of personal responsibility for electing her:

"Donald Trump made me do it."
Well, Kasich or even Jeb would have spared us ... so it's really the fault of the 30% or so of the gop/newbies in open primaries that did this. Trump supporters will say "but we're the new face of conservatism." Joe Scarborough would say guys like Ryan have to appeal to the populist message. But when the candidate is going to be straining to get 40% when Hillary is the other party nominee, how focking populist is he? Seriously. I get the we lost jobs angle, but there just aren't gonna be enough people saying "raise the price and lower the quality of my auto" to really make a party. But still, it's not possible to argue Mitch McConnell's done jack shit for American workers.

Both parties need to do some soul searching.

Forum List

Back