Will US conscription be the answer to WAR ON TERROR?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Psychoblues, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I doubt it. It didn't work in Korea. It didn't work in Viet Nam either. The voluntary forces in Grenada, Panama and Persian Gulf I seemed to work better. Is the "Draft" a credible solution to the continuing shortfalls and recrruiting problems that now exist in the US led "WAR ON TERROR?"

Psychoblues

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The draft worked just fine in every war the US has engaged in from its inception to its demise. A handful of pussies hiding in their closets or trying to hide out in other countries does not constitute failure.

It probably would not work now though since you left-wingnuts have convinced your herd of mindless sheep their personal comfort outweighs the needs of this Nation.

While they refuse to fight in a war for this Nation, they'd think nothing of using violence against the representatives of this Nation's authorities.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Personally, I never would've trusted a draftee to cover my back. He wouldn't really know or care about what he was fighting for.

I and my family have served honorably in the military for some four generations with some still serving... None drafted...All volunteered.

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    :gives:

Get serious, those that support this country, WILL.

Those that don't, WON'T.

The line forms on the left...................:boohoo:

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Im not sure I agree with that. He knows what he is fighting for: Survival. And thats best done with all the friends you make in the service.

If it came down to a draft id probably volunteer first.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Given a choice, I would prefer an all-volunteer force. Obviously it is going to be a more cohesive unit, and I agree that trust is a factor in that.

I think whether or not a draft was a success would be determined by the reasons behind the war. For instance, during WWII, the overwhelming majority served without question.

The more voices proclaiming a war to be unjust, the more dissent, and the more likely opposition to the draft will manifest itself, such as it did in NYC and Philadelphia during the US Civil War.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree. If Iran manages to actually widen the war to a degree that conscription becomes the only option, I have no doubt that they will serve honorably.

Contrary to Psychos post, (I know, it had to happen sometime :rolleyes: ) the draftees did just fine in Vietnam and Korea, it was the politicians that let them down, not them.

Conscription worked in the War of 1812; Civil War, both sides; In WWI and WWII; Korea; Vietnam. I think that the quality of the volunteer military cannot be matched by forced conscripts, but when necessary, quantity would compensate for the high quality. Sad but true.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Prior to Vietnam, with honorable mention given to the usual 10%, whether one did or did not have a higher duty to serve the Nation was not much of a question in the minds of the many. Most understood that freedom has a price tag.

I'm not sure that is the case nowadays. The extremist lefties have put the notion in the minds of many that freedom IS free, and that it is perfecly okay to used violence against one's own Nation in support of that idea. They scoff at the notion that one should actually try and give back to the society rather than just take.

AND, IMO, THOSE are the people who should be in the very FIRST wave!:dev3:

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I hope you are wrong, but fear you are right.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I think the extreme left has proven itself time and again since the late 60s to be very capable of such. IMO, there is something WAY wrong in the heads of people who in the name of an unwillingness to commit violence against our enemies are more than willing to commit violence to prove that point. It's just about as hypocritical as it gets.

Not to mention dumber'n a box of rocks. I always like to use the incident at Kent State as an example. Those are are soldiers armed with rifles you are throwing rocks and bottles at. H-E-L-L-O !!!!

Gee, wonder why someone got shot.:wtf:

Prior to the late 60s, our society did not much tolerate such behavior, and usually policed itself.