Will Republicans ever learn? Indiana governor to sign bill allowing business not to serve gays

Convenient how those poll are done, how many actually ask: Do you support forcing businesses to provide services they religiously object to?

You ask that question in one of your polls and get back to me on how I'm in the minority. Polls are designed to get a predetermined result most of the time just by the way they phrase their questions.

You mean a poll that asks should we go back to the pre Civil Rights......"We don't sereve n*ggers here"?

There ya go again, trying to compare the homo's situation to the black's plight. Not even comparable

We aren't comparing blacks to gays...we're comparing bigots to bigots.

That's funny when the majority of blacks in California voted in favor of Proposition #8.
You have figures to back that up?

Let me help get you going.

How many blacks in California?
How many blacks are registered to vote in California?
How many blacks registered to vote actually voted in California?
How many blacks registered to vote in California voted yes on Prop H8?
And how do you know how black people voted?

WAPO seems to think they know how black people voted in California. But of course Prop 8 was passed in 2008 when President Obama also opposed same sex marriage.

. . .Los Angeles County -- the state's most populous -- is particularly interesting to look at. In LA County, Prop. 8 won a narrow majority of 50.1 percent. But, President Obama carried the county with a whopping 69 percent.

The discrepancy? African American voters, who were overwhelmingly in favor of banning same sex marriage (70 percent supported Proposition 8) even as they supported Obama even more heavily (94 percent). And, to a lesser degree, Hispanic voters followed that same trend -- backing Prop. 8 by a 53 percent to 47 percent margin while giving President Obama 74 percent. . .
How Proposition 8 passed in California and why it wouldn t today - The Washington Post

And of course now the polls indicate the vote would have gone differently, but President Obama reversed his opinion about same-sex marriage once he was safely in office. Did that make the difference. Who knows? Who cares?

The point with the vote in Indiana is not an issue of same-sex marriage--court after court has ruled against discrimination against same-sex marriage whether or not it is the right thing to do. The law is not a license to discriminate any more than the law in those 29 other states is a license to discriminate. Indiana's law is not substantially different from any of those others.

It is almost like the backlash against the Indiana law is strictly from progressive activists who don't want any restrictions put on their ability to bash Christians or other religious for following or stating their faith.

At any rate it is much ado about pretty much nothing, and is bringing out the bigoted and silly more than anything else.

Indiana ranks 29th among states more dependent on government.

2015's States Most & Least Dependent on the Federal Government - WalletHub

Take out the Indianapolis, Hammond and Gary areas and see what the results are, then research what faction of people inhabit those areas. Geez, that was easy

Who is the Governor of those areas?

They started leaching the system long before Pence showed up. You're not very bright nor good at this

Even Jan Brewer was able to figure out it was bad for business

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a bill Wednesday that would have allowed businesses that asserted their religious beliefs the right to deny service to gay and lesbian customers.
The controversial measure faced a surge of opposition in recent days from large corporations and athletic organizations, including Delta Air Lines, the Super Bowl host committee and Major League Baseball

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes SB 1062 controversial anti-gay bill - CNN.com
So I guess that is a strong yes to the OP's question.

Stated another way. Not all republicans are homophobic assholes.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a bill Wednesday that would have allowed businesses that asserted their religious beliefs the right to deny service to gay and lesbian customers.
The controversial measure faced a surge of opposition in recent days from large corporations and athletic organizations, including Delta Air Lines, the Super Bowl host committee and Major League Baseball

More like...even when they are, sometimes the almighty dollar takes precedence. Indiana stuck by their "principals" despite the potential lost revenue.

Come on Republicans

I know you love to pander to your gay hating base. But are you ever going to learn?

Indiana Governor Mike Pence is ready to sign into law a bill allowing businesses to refuse service to gays for "religious reasons" . All this ten days before the NCAA Final Four comes to Indianapolis. So what was once an opportunity to show the country what a great location his state is for major events, now becomes a poster child for "We hate gays".
See how many Final Fours come back to Indianapolis. Superbowl? Forget it Mike

But at least you got to score points with your gay hating base

Republicans just can't help themselves.
Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers - CNN.com

The religious freedom law has absolutely nothing to do with gays any more than similar laws in 30 other states do.

A law professor's take on it:

I am a supporter of gay rights, including same-sex marriage. But as an informed legal scholar, I also support the proposed Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA). How can this be?

It's because — despite all the rhetoric — the bill has little to do with same-sex marriage and everything to do with religious freedom.

The bill would establish a general legal standard, the "compelling interest" test, for evaluating laws and governmental practices that impose substantial burdens on the exercise of religion. This same test already governs federal law under the federal RFRA, which was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. And some 30 states have adopted the same standard, either under state-law RFRAs or as a matter of state constitutional law.

Applying this test, a unanimous U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that a Muslim prisoner was free to practice his faith by wearing a half-inch beard that posed no risk to prison security. Likewise, in a 2012 decision, a court ruled that the Pennsylvania RFRA protected the outreach ministry of a group of Philadelphia churches, ruling that the city could not bar them from feeding homeless individuals in the city parks. . . .
Law professor Why Indiana needs religious freedom legislation

It's because — despite all the rhetoric — the bill has little to do with same-sex marriage and everything to do with religious freedom.
I say.....bullshit

Prior to same sex marriages, we never had a need for such legislation. Indiana, seeing same sex marriage becoming the law of the land in June is trying to pre-empt the rights of gays to marry

I suspect the law will be narrowly enforced and that fundamentalist christians nt Muslims will be the prime beneficiaries

Well I'll leave it to you and the law professor to work out where the bullshit is.

I may not be a law professor, but I do watch Judge Judy every day

Thats good enough for USMB

I honestly believe most Republicans have seen the light on gay rights

So...you are against ... planes ... and anything else that goes against "natural law".

LOL!

Pray tell... without going to far down the tenets which comprise the rabbit hole that defines your humanist cult, how do 'planes' go against "natural law".

(Reader, you'll find the above cited contributors interests in this subject will inexplicably evaporate... but don't think that just because she 'doesn't do science', that all females are poorly suited to it. She's a professed sexual deviant and as we've learned, deviant sexuality presents from deviant reasoning... . )

Come on Republicans

I know you love to pander to your gay hating base. But are you ever going to learn?

Indiana Governor Mike Pence is ready to sign into law a bill allowing businesses to refuse service to gays for "religious reasons" . All this ten days before the NCAA Final Four comes to Indianapolis. So what was once an opportunity to show the country what a great location his state is for major events, now becomes a poster child for "We hate gays".

The religious freedom law has absolutely nothing to do with gays any more than similar laws in 30 other states do.

I am a supporter of gay rights, including same-sex marriage. But as an informed legal scholar, I also support the proposed Indiana Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA). How can this be?

The bill would establish a general legal standard, the "compelling interest" test, for evaluating laws and governmental practices that impose substantial burdens on the exercise of religion. This same test already governs federal law under the federal RFRA, which was signed into law by President Bill Clinton. And some 30 states have adopted the same standard, either under state-law RFRAs or as a matter of state constitutional law.

Applying this test, a unanimous U.S. Supreme Court recently ruled that a Muslim prisoner was free to practice his faith by wearing a half-inch beard that posed no risk to prison security. Likewise, in a 2012 decision, a court ruled that the Pennsylvania RFRA protected the outreach ministry of a group of Philadelphia churches, ruling that the city could not bar them from feeding homeless individuals in the city parks. . . .

I say.....bullshit

Prior to same sex marriages, we never had a need for such legislation. Indiana, seeing same sex marriage becoming the law of the land in June is trying to pre-empt the rights of gays to marry

I suspect the law will be narrowly enforced and that fundamentalist christians nt Muslims will be the prime beneficiaries

Well I'll leave it to you and the law professor to work out where the bullshit is.

That appears to be the extent of your legal knowledge.

We're not speaking of Republicans, we're speaking of Americans; which is to say those who recognize, respect, defend and adhere to the principles that define America... OKA: Natural Principles.

Come on Republicans

I say.....bullshit

That appears to be the extent of your legal knowledge.

It more than qualifies me to discuss legal matters on USMB

You mean a poll that asks should we go back to the pre Civil Rights......"We don't sereve n*ggers here"?

There ya go again, trying to compare the homo's situation to the black's plight. Not even comparable

We aren't comparing blacks to gays...we're comparing bigots to bigots.

That's funny when the majority of blacks in California voted in favor of Proposition #8.
You have figures to back that up?

Let me help get you going.

How many blacks in California?
How many blacks are registered to vote in California?
How many blacks registered to vote actually voted in California?
How many blacks registered to vote in California voted yes on Prop H8?
And how do you know how black people voted?

WAPO seems to think they know how black people voted in California. But of course Prop 8 was passed in 2008 when President Obama also opposed same sex marriage.

. . .Los Angeles County -- the state's most populous -- is particularly interesting to look at. In LA County, Prop. 8 won a narrow majority of 50.1 percent. But, President Obama carried the county with a whopping 69 percent.

The discrepancy? African American voters, who were overwhelmingly in favor of banning same sex marriage (70 percent supported Proposition 8) even as they supported Obama even more heavily (94 percent). And, to a lesser degree, Hispanic voters followed that same trend -- backing Prop. 8 by a 53 percent to 47 percent margin while giving President Obama 74 percent. . .
How Proposition 8 passed in California and why it wouldn t today - The Washington Post

And of course now the polls indicate the vote would have gone differently, but President Obama reversed his opinion about same-sex marriage once he was safely in office. Did that make the difference. Who knows? Who cares?

The point with the vote in Indiana is not an issue of same-sex marriage--court after court has ruled against discrimination against same-sex marriage whether or not it is the right thing to do. The law is not a license to discriminate any more than the law in those 29 other states is a license to discriminate. Indiana's law is not substantially different from any of those others.

It is almost like the backlash against the Indiana law is strictly from progressive activists who don't want any restrictions put on their ability to bash Christians or other religious for following or stating their faith.

At any rate it is much ado about pretty much nothing, and is bringing out the bigoted and silly more than anything else.

How many black people in CA?

How many black people are registered to vote?

How many black people who are registered to vote actually voted?

How many black people who are registered to vote and actually voted voted yes on Prop H8?

So...you are against ... planes ... and anything else that goes against "natural law".

LOL!

Pray tell... without going to far down the tenets which comprise the rabbit hole that defines your humanist cult, how do 'planes' go against "natural law".

(Reader, you'll find the above cited contributors interests in this subject will inexplicably evaporate... but don't think that just because she 'doesn't do science', that all females are poorly suited to it. She's a professed sexual deviant and as we've learned, deviant sexuality presents from deviant reasoning... . )

Can people fly? Maybe on your planet.

We're not speaking of Republicans, we're speaking of Americans; which is to say those who recognize, respect, defend and adhere to the principles that define America... OKA: Natural Principles.

Admit it....you have lost
Gay Marriage will be the law of the land by June

An no, Americans do not support you

Most Republicans have given up on the issue and just wish it would go away. It makes them lose votes and credibility with younger voters

I said:

Gay Marriage will be the law of the land by June ...

Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman.

It more than qualifies me to discuss legal matters on USMB

So you're admitting that everything you know about the issue you learned on TV?

(Reader... well, you know.)

Everything of importance in life, I learned from TV

Brady Bunch, Leave it to Beaver, Adam -12, Perry Mason.....

Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny

I said:

Gay Marriage will be the law of the land by June ...

Marriage is the joining of one man and one woman.

For you, it may very well be

But not for the rest of the country

Forum List

Back