Will more guns create a safer society?

I've said it before but I'll say it again.

The best way to deter gun crimes is to impose draconian and absolute punishment for any crime committed while in the possession of a firearm.

Life in a federal prison without the possibility of parole for any crime committed while in the possession of a gun.

I don't care if the gun is used or not any and all crimes while in possession of a firearm will get you life on the fucking rock pile.

Isn't that kind of what the "three strikes" law was all about? You know, I still think it should be taken on a case by case basis, which is why we have courts . . . to hear the cases. I never like the "one-size-fits-all" type of justice. Like zero tolerance policies in schools and what have you? Stupid, IMO.

I'm of the mind that a law broken is a law broken.
If anyone commits a crime they should be punished not coddled.

And the zero tolerance policies in schools have little in common with my suggestion since one would have to be convicted of the crime before punishment was meted out.

It's not like getting expelled for having an Advil in your pocket or a plastic butter knife in your lunch bag

Well, I don't really have a problem with it per se. I just don't know what kind of unintended consequences there might be to such laws.

It doesn't matter what the law is when the justice department refuses to enforce it.

"Too many Americans go to too many prisons for far too long and for no truly good law enforcement reason," Holder said last year.

The initiative also involves promoting drug and veterans courts as well as diversion programs. In addition, Holder has instructed prosecutors to draft criminal charges for low-level drug offenders in ways that will not trigger mandatory minimum sentences mandated by Congress."

It doesn't matter what the punishment is when the Attorney General encourages law enforcement and prosecutors to ignore policies that properly address the crime committed.

If you circumvent Congressionally mandated minimum sentencing requirements by refusing to record the weight of drugs confiscated in a bust ... And then charge the criminal with minimum charges ... Then that is an abuse of power.

Maybe the next AG will be better?

The best way to deter gun crimes is to impose draconian and absolute punishment for any crime committed while in the possession of a firearm.

Life in a federal prison without the possibility of parole for any crime committed while in the possession of a gun.

I don't care if the gun is used or not any and all crimes while in possession of a firearm will get you life on the fucking rock pile.

Isn't that kind of what the "three strikes" law was all about? You know, I still think it should be taken on a case by case basis, which is why we have courts . . . to hear the cases. I never like the "one-size-fits-all" type of justice. Like zero tolerance policies in schools and what have you? Stupid, IMO.

And the zero tolerance policies in schools have little in common with my suggestion since one would have to be convicted of the crime before punishment was meted out.

It's not like getting expelled for having an Advil in your pocket or a plastic butter knife in your lunch bag

Well, I don't really have a problem with it per se. I just don't know what kind of unintended consequences there might be to such laws.

It doesn't matter what the law is when the justice department refuses to enforce it.

"Too many Americans go to too many prisons for far too long and for no truly good law enforcement reason," Holder said last year.

The initiative also involves promoting drug and veterans courts as well as diversion programs. In addition, Holder has instructed prosecutors to draft criminal charges for low-level drug offenders in ways that will not trigger mandatory minimum sentences mandated by Congress."

It doesn't matter what the punishment is when the Attorney General encourages law enforcement and prosecutors to ignore policies that properly address the crime committed.

If you circumvent Congressionally mandated minimum sentencing requirements by refusing to record the weight of drugs confiscated in a bust ... And then charge the criminal with minimum charges ... Then that is an abuse of power.

Maybe the next AG will be better?

The Republican Senators and Representatives in Congress certainly have a say-so in that process and selection. It is anybody's bet as to whether or not they have the intestinal fortitude to use that power.

There aren't too many I can think of.

Forum List

Back