Will America's bitter partisan divide continue??

When Joe Scarborough, a former Republican lawmaker and host of Morning Joe on MSNBC was running for election in the 90's he would knock on doors, soliciting votes. Joe told the audience last week that he "only had to knock on 4 doors to, to find out that you're either from the party of Jane Fonda or you're from the party of John Wayne" Such is the state of America's bitter partisan divide. So, in the coming months and years, will this bitter partisan divide continue as it is today, become deeper, or begin to moderate?

Cons have been conditioned that 'compromise' is evil. But forced compromise is the type of government the founders made. We are in a moment when the Republican Politburo does not recognize the Constitution as the law of the land, they now believe whenever they have power in government that they are the last word of what is law.

And make no mistake, they have nothing else. Republicans are right at the point of being rendered meaningless in national politics because of demographics. Soon they will never have enough votes of old angry white men to win anything. And they know it.

Trump Rallies Full of ‘older White Men’ Suggests Republicans Are a ‘dying Party,’ GOP Senator Says

When Joe Scarborough, a former Republican lawmaker and host of Morning Joe on MSNBC was running for election in the 90's he would knock on doors, soliciting votes. Joe told the audience last week that he "only had to knock on 4 doors to, to find out that you're either from the party of Jane Fonda or you're from the party of John Wayne" Such is the state of America's bitter partisan divide. So, in the coming months and years, will this bitter partisan divide continue as it is today, become deeper, or begin to moderate?
I think this thread is giving you your answer, at least for the short term.

It's all "their" fault. Those guys, over there.

Until this kind of thinking is somehow marginalized, this continues.

I don't believe in conservative or liberal
or Dem - Republican
I believe in American
I'm against criminals--I can't understand why all these protests FOR violent, threatening criminals, from the Libs/Dems? !
I'm for what's best for America--like lower immigration, border security
who here would be for open borders? very stupid

What is interesting is that Reagan was a conservative but he was completely different from the conservatives of today. In Reagan's "A Time for Choosing " speech, he said that no one should be unable to see a doctor because they can't afford it. Reagan hated the bureaucracy but did not hate programs. He said that if we took all the money spent on anti-poverty programs and divided it between the poor, they would not be in poverty. He also was a big supporter of the earned income tax credit. He would be rejected by conservatives today. When Reagan won, he had 2 major initiatives. The first was the across the board tax cuts. Tip O'Neill was the Speaker then. Reagan got it passed by compromising with Democrats and Republican moderates. He was able to reform taxes again by compromising with Democrats.

Democrats disagreed with Reagan on these issues but were willing to compromise. Reagan was willing to give a little ground to get it passed. Also Reagan did not disparage his opponents. He had to put up with the most arrogant newsman in history, Sam Donaldson, but he attended the White House Correspondents' Dinner. They called him stupid and attacked his wife. Yet he never attacked them personally.

Today nearly every Republican or Democrat are too far right or too far left. The Republicans are too pro-business while Democrats are too anti-business. There are compromises on DACA and a Obamacare fix which would give each side a little of what it wants. Yet it will not be brought to the floor. Unfortunately it looks like you have to give the Democrats the House and Republicans the Senate to force them to compromise. However I would like to see more moderate Democrats in the Senate. For example, this Democrat Congresswoman in Arizona seems to be the best choice. Liberals say she is too conservative while conservatives say she is too liberal. If the extremes don't like her then she is a winner.

What is interesting is that Reagan was a conservative but he was completely different from the conservatives of today. In Reagan's "A Time for Choosing " speech, he said that no one should be unable to see a doctor because they can't afford it. Reagan hated the bureaucracy but did not hate programs. He said that if we took all the money spent on anti-poverty programs and divided it between the poor, they would not be in poverty. He also was a big supporter of the earned income tax credit. He would be rejected by conservatives today. When Reagan won, he had 2 major initiatives. The first was the across the board tax cuts. Tip O'Neill was the Speaker then. Reagan got it passed by compromising with Democrats and Republican moderates. He was able to reform taxes again by compromising with Democrats.

Democrats disagreed with Reagan on these issues but were willing to compromise. Reagan was willing to give a little ground to get it passed. Also Reagan did not disparage his opponents. He had to put up with the most arrogant newsman in history, Sam Donaldson, but he attended the White House Correspondents' Dinner. They called him stupid and attacked his wife. Yet he never attacked them personally.

Today nearly every Republican or Democrat are too far right or too far left. The Republicans are too pro-business while Democrats are too anti-business. There are compromises on DACA and a Obamacare fix which would give each side a little of what it wants. Yet it will not be brought to the floor. Unfortunately it looks like you have to give the Democrats the House and Republicans the Senate to force them to compromise. However I would like to see more moderate Democrats in the Senate. For example, this Democrat Congresswoman in Arizona seems to be the best choice. Liberals say she is too conservative while conservatives say she is too liberal. If the extremes don't like her then she is a winner.

Bullshit on the anti-business comment and the idea that Dems are too far left.

It will get deeper.The cancer known as liberalism is DEEP in BOTH parties and it will take time to rip it out and heal. It will start to get better once we elect some populist/nationalists in November 2018 and even more in 2020.

Ok, your right, Dems are too far left and far too stupid.

"
Will America's bitter partisan divide continue??"
I like to think so...

Cons have been conditioned that 'compromise' is evil. But forced compromise is the type of government the founders made. We are in a moment when the Republican Politburo does not recognize the Constitution as the law of the land, they now believe whenever they have power in government that they are the last word of what is law.

And make no mistake, they have nothing else. Republicans are right at the point of being rendered meaningless in national politics because of demographics. Soon they will never have enough votes of old angry white men to win anything. And they know it.

Trump Rallies Full of ‘older White Men’ Suggests Republicans Are a ‘dying Party,’ GOP Senator Says
That's funny shit right there!

Ok, your right, Dems are too far left and far too stupid.

You Reps are too far right and equally stupid. Both of you [rove my point.

Can't imagine why it would moderate. We used to agree on where we were going and disagree on how we got there. Now we don't even agree on the desired goal, AND we define those we disagree with as purposefully evil, so there's really no common ground to come together on.

I don't see it getting better unless we have a complete collapse of the legislative branch to the point we have a major crisis like a default on our debt. My view, it started with Robert Bork's Supreme Court nomination and has gone downhill ever since. The Democrats have moved further left, The Repubs further right, and there is no large centrist majority that can compromise and get things done.

Forty two percent of the nation identifies as "Independent". Did you know that?

Yeah, well, there are increasing numbers of people who identify as the opposite sex of what they actually are, so self-identification doesn't have much value, does it?

I don't see how it can moderate, and I only see it getting worse. The crazies have taken over both ends of the spectrum, and they have most of the energy, i.e., influence.

Until and unless the crazies are somehow culturally marginalized, this just gets worse.

The only way this train can be derailed is if some kind of "Me Too" momentum is started nationally, and it will almost have to begin with some brave, well-known public figures.

Who are the "crazies on the left" that hold public office? The most left leaning member of Congress is likely Barbara Lee. Name three positions she holds that you would deem "crazy".

Obama undeniably aided this nation's and our allies' enemies for 8 years - The Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaida, the Taliban, ISIS, Hezbollah, Hamas, Iran, Russia, Mexican Drug Cartels, Human Traffickers, MS13, Traitors, violent illegals, criminal Sanctuary City facilitation politicians, etc

Despite the muntain ofevidence against them, snowflakes continue to defend, protect, remain loyal to them.

Such misplaced loyalty to seditious criminals and traitors will continue to divide this country and give our enemies - like Putin - exactly what they want.

As long as half the nation wants the other half to pay for all their shit, there will be a huge divide.

Not only that, but the Half that wants Free Shit, also wants to bring in Illegals who also want Free Shit and let them vote too.

I don't think it is going to get better until we have some Seditious Bolsheviks hanging from light poles.

I don't see how it can moderate, and I only see it getting worse. The crazies have taken over both ends of the spectrum, and they have most of the energy, i.e., influence.

Until and unless the crazies are somehow culturally marginalized, this just gets worse.

The only way this train can be derailed is if some kind of "Me Too" momentum is started nationally, and it will almost have to begin with some brave, well-known public figures.

Who are the "crazies on the left" that hold public office? The most left leaning member of Congress is likely Barbara Lee. Name three positions she holds that you would deem "crazy".
Why?

I'm fascinated by this straw man you've set up. YOU pick the random member of Congress that YOU designate, and then demand that other people accept and argue against her.

But okay. We can play. She voted against the use of force in response to 9/11., the only member of Congress to do so. She voted to throw out Ohio's electoral votes in the 2004 election, effectively trying to disenfranchise the entire state. And she is a vehement opponent of ANY restriction or regulation on abortion, no matter what.

Do keep in mind that, just because I'm generously allowing you to set the choice of Congresscritter doesn't mean you're going to get to set the definition of "crazy", so the fact that you think all that is wonderful isn't going to negate its craziness.

Forum List

Back