Wild Horses are no More than Weeds

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
And should be sent to the slaughterhouse IMHO. They destroy the fragile biosphere and are not part of the natural way of things in North America.

As sad as it may seem – wild horses – specially in the Salt River valley and the Tonto National Forest – need to be rounded up – sterilized, euthanized, or whatever. We are destroying our ecosystem by letting a non-native species take over and destroy a part of the world that does not recover quickly or easily.

President Trump knows this. He has proposed a solution: “humane euthanasia and unrestricted sale of certain excess animals.”

That means that wild horses could be sold to slaughterhouses in Mexico and Canada (they’re illegal in the U.S.). People do eat horse. The French consider it a delicacy.

Full piece @ YES, KILL ALL THE HORSES ...

We can't eat horse meat in this country b/c that would be cruel and immoral, but killing all the wild horses and selling their meat to others...

I live in apache county arizona where there are wild horses. The only folks i know who complain about them are the ranchers who do not like them competing for "their cow's grass".
I enjoy having them around but i likecattle too.
Around here, you will have one or the other.

Yet, genetics says otherwise-

In 1493, on Columbus’ second voyage to the Americas, Spanish horses, representing E. caballus, were brought back to North America, first in the Virgin Islands, and, in 1519, they were reintroduced on the continent, in modern-day Mexico, from where they radiated throughout the American Great Plains, after escape from their owners or by pilfering (Fazio 1995).

Critics of the idea that the North American wild horse is a native animal, using only selected paleontological data, assert that the species, E. caballus (or the caballoid horse), which was introduced in 1519, was a different species from that which disappeared between 13,000–11,000 years before. Herein lies the crux of the debate. However, neither paleontological opinion nor modern molecular genetics support the contention that the modern horse in North America is non-native.
Wild Horses as Native North American Wildlife

Hmmmmmmmm.................. Why does it have to be no interference with their numbers or extermination? How about control of their numbers.

Not being indigenous to North America ... the horse is a symbol of evil colonialism.

Did y'all know that the Navajo Nation opened a season on wild horses in 2017?
Yep, on of the areas where you can shoot a horse starts 200 feet north of my north property line.

And should be sent to the slaughterhouse IMHO. They destroy the fragile biosphere and are not part of the natural way of things in North America.

As sad as it may seem – wild horses – specially in the Salt River valley and the Tonto National Forest – need to be rounded up – sterilized, euthanized, or whatever. We are destroying our ecosystem by letting a non-native species take over and destroy a part of the world that does not recover quickly or easily.

President Trump knows this. He has proposed a solution: “humane euthanasia and unrestricted sale of certain excess animals.”

That means that wild horses could be sold to slaughterhouses in Mexico and Canada (they’re illegal in the U.S.). People do eat horse. The French consider it a delicacy.

Neither are cattle.

Wild horses near my driveway last spring with two foals which are very young. In the winter i drop them hay and let them drink from my rain barrels. It isnt legal to feed them, but i "drop" hay on my way home kinda thing.
I've been here four years and only once have I seen one with health issues. The issue was a predator, probably a lion, took a chunck out of one horse's front shoulder, it had to be put down by Navajo Game and Fish.

Edit: dunno why the pic didnt post.

While I agree with the need to control their numbers i do not agree with the slaughterhouse idea. Horses are fragile and prone to serious injury when shipped, subject to horrible abuse in the process and in slaughterhouses and auctions that sell to that industry.

Still better than the stampeding herds of boars/wild pigs
that have devastated whole areas of Texas, Arkansas, and other states.

It's not safe to go after them.
Wish we could pack them up, load them
on planes, and air drop them over ISIS!

or a giant pork pit barbecue :D

or a giant pork pit barbecue :D

Yes, lots of hunters eat the wild hogs they kill.
For me, no thanks.
I like my bacon "turkey."

Perhaps if we found a way to turn hog fat into alternative
oil and gasoline production, the population would disappear overnight!

I still like the idea of bombing ISIS with wild hogs.
If pigs could fly!

Neither are cattle.
Nor sheep. Nor goats. Nor pigs, nor chickens, and a lot of other animals brought by the Spanish,.

South of Burns, Oregon, there is a large mountain called Steens Mountain. It has large basins on three sides of it. There are wild horsed there called Kiger Mustangs. They are a very special breed, and valued by horse people.

4805af009822bc1e7b0f6a706700fb77_c0-249-6144-3831_s885x516.jpg

Sadly, the green clean energy folks do not feel the same if they need the land for miles of solar panels or wind turbines or even the filthy dirty geothermal energy.

Elektra, you are so full of shit. The grow wheat under the windmills, graze cows and horses. Solar panels would be on top of the basalt ridges, mostly bare rock, where very little grows at all. The geothermal would probably be no more than one or two plants per basin, and the water would be put back into the ground. Perhaps a city boy like you has no concept of the sheer amount of land, and it's topography that we are talking about here.

Elektra, you are so full of shit. The grow wheat under the windmills, graze cows and horses. Solar panels would be on top of the basalt ridges, mostly bare rock, where very little grows at all. The geothermal would probably be no more than one or two plants per basin, and the water would be put back into the ground. Perhaps a city boy like you has no concept of the sheer amount of land, and it's topography that we are talking about here.
Link liar link

Link liar link
oregon-wasco-girls-playing-with-kite-in-wheat-field-wind-turbines-in-picture-id136598691

wind-farm-turbines-in-immature-wheat-field-b0pghc.jpg

landscape-of-wheat-field-with-wind-turbines-fbr4tn.jpg

There you go, farming wheat and grapes under the mills.

Forum List

Back