Why you hate unions?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sirkarl101, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,557
    Yup.

Gotta agree.

I've worked two union jobs in my life only because to get the job you had to be a Union member.

We had guys that were given a job in the AM, in the labor pool. A job that probably took a couple of hours to do. They did the job and disappeared in the mill for the rest of the day. Happened all the time.

We also had guys who would take a 2 or three hour mowing job and turn it into a 3 day event.

Hanging a simple bulletin board that me and my pal Susie could have done int 20 minutes turned into a 3 day event as well.

For God sakes don't change a litebulb. They need an electrician for that.

By all means be a druggie or Alcoholic. The Union will then want the company to pay for your rehab treatment.

If you happen to be a thief and remodle your basement with material you "borrowed" from the company and got caught. Well the Union will go to the wall for ya.

No fan of Unions. Never have been and never will be.

2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    And if you cracked up a vehicle because you weren't qualified to drive it, that would have been okay, too.

I used to drive a forklift back in the 1990s. If I hoped on a forklift at my current job to get an order out, I'd be fired. It's be a violation of safety rules. I'm not an authorized operator.

And no union involved. That's just how things work.

Blaming unions for outsourcing is like blaming a revealing dress for a rape.

3. healthmyths

healthmyths Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,074
    I don't disagree with you that today due to OSHA,company insurance, etc. that would NOT have been allowed.. and once again perfect example of how intrusive and WASTEFUL government i.e. UNION interference with productivity can be!

But you see WHEN I jumped on the fork lift I was a conscientious, not drug using, common sense person all characteristics that are NOW missing in most workers BECAUSE gross dependence on the nanny state!

AND am I glad you brought it up!
    Because beyond the UNIONS nanny state mentality I would think YOU possibly would agree it would be better for EVERYONE if more people were conscientious, not drug users, and HAD common SENSE!
    BUT THE vicious circle of idiocy increasing due to dependency on Govt./Union telling you what do is WHY we have to blame loss of JOBS on Unions/Govt rules ..OSHA/EPA/etc.. you name it!
    I guess having NEVER created a business, or been responsible YOU don't see the constant nanny state mentality is reducing EVERYONE's quality of LiFE!

4. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    Yawn, the typical attitude of a plutocrat apologist, thinking the parasites are the vital organs.

Reality is- Consumer demand creates jobs. Nothing more, nothing less. When we had large union membership, we had prosperity. People had money, and they bought houses, they bought cars, they bought food and they bought consumer goods, and other people- not stockholders, not business people- made them.

Not sure what your issue is with "Drug users". Frankly, the only place where I had co-workers with substance abuse problems when was I was in the military. Most companies piss test you before they even give you the job.

5. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,845
    I've worked with union guys on non union jobs, they are worthless. They never did anything they felt was beneath them.

6. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    Again, how is that different than anywhere else? I've seen people leave messes in place because it was the custodian's job to clean it up... in non-union shops.

And I'm not denying that union workers have been their own worst enemies in a lot of cases.

What I am saying is that left to their own devices without unions there, you'd have a lot worse abuses on the part of employers. Things that plain old shouldn't happen, because in an "at will" environment, you put up with any abuses.

First company I worked at when I got out of the service in 1992, they thought nothing at all of just working people for 16 hour shifts because they didn't want to put on more employees. Didn't want to buy proper equipment because it was expensive. Awful management, the company eventually went under. Nothing to do with unions, unions would have probably made things better.

7. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,845
    Being fired vs. not being fired with unions.

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    And that's good, why?

Frankly, I think not cleaning up a mess is rude, but not worth firing someone over.

And I've seen people be fired for such petty bullshit, like the gal who got fired because she brought her girlfriend to the company party, and the boss was a homophobic Christian type.

I've seen women get fired because they were pregnant.

I was fired from my last job, despite glowing performance reviews over six years, because I had run up too many medical bills the previous year.

9. bigrebnc1775

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,845
    You asked what the difference was, I told you. If someone does not do what I pay them to do I will fire their ass.

10. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,395
    BUt that wasnt' the example you gave. YOu gave the example of a union guy refusing to something that wasn't in his job description, which a lot of people in the private sector would refuse to do as well.