Why we still cross swords on Stalin

Casper

Sep 6, 2010
The myth about Stalin has not left us for over 50 years. The first attempt at Stalin’s official rehabilitation was made in school history textbooks in 2007 when he was described as an “effective manager.” However, the rehabilitation did not take place. Later, it turned out that the rehabilitation had simply been postponed.

The growing popularity of the myth about Stalin is linked with the present agenda. A series of loud corruption scandals aggravated by the culprits’ impunity have left society disappointed in the authorities. Protest attitudes are on the rise.

In the Russian system of values, the category of justice has always been above that of the law. The current myth about Stalin is based on his image as a cruel, but fair leader who eradicated corruption, arbitrary rule by officials and the crime rate. As for the reprisals, they are viewed as a forced, but acceptable necessity.

It is important to consider that the Stalin myth is not a product of the Stalin era alone. We have inherited the traits of the modern Russian philistine – mistrust of civil institutes, an expectation of resolute actions by the authorities, an ability to adapt oneself to practically any conditions, a cult consciousness and doubts in the significance of one’s own opinions. These concepts are the quintessence of the social and cultural practices of a number of preceding epochs.

Full version of the article was published on valdaiclub.com

No matter how you look at it the man was a monster who killed 15 to 30 million people. So many that we can not even get a clear estimate within a few million! Anything else is overshowded by those unimaginable numbers!

Who crosses swords over Stalin? We call a spade a spade...or in his case, a murdering commie bastard!

Who is we?

Yeah that was my first thought when I read this, too.

So I looked up who authored this website

<H1 class=title>The Valdai Discussion Club
The Valdai Discussion Club provides a global forum for the world&#8217;s leading and best-informed experts on Russia to engage in a sustained dialogue about the country&#8217;s political, economic, social and cultural development.
Since 2004, the Club has gathered annually in Russia and has regularly met with the leadership of the Russian Federation, as well as Russian business leaders, media, academics, and political groups. The scope of the meetings has grown year by year, and participants now enjoy unprecedented access to Russia&#8217;s top politicians.
This website, which brings together contributions by participants in the Valdai Club meetings, provides a platform for incisive and informed analysis by the world&#8217;s leading commentators on the Russian scene.
The Club&#8217;s annual meetings are organized and sponsored by the Russian News & Information Agency RIA Novosti, the Russian Council for Foreign and Defense Policy (CFDP), Russia Profile and Russia in Global Affairs magazines, and The Moscow News newspaper.
</H1>

Who is we?

The Valdai Discussion Club provides a global forum for the world’s leading and best-informed experts on Russia to engage in a sustained dialogue about the country’s political, economic, social and cultural development.
Since 2004, the Club has gathered annually in Russia and has regularly met with the leadership of the Russian Federation, as well as Russian business leaders, media, academics, and political groups. The scope of the meetings has grown year by year, and participants now enjoy unprecedented access to Russia’s top politicians.
This website, which brings together contributions by participants in the Valdai Club meetings, provides a platform for incisive and informed analysis by the world’s leading commentators on the Russian scene.
The Club’s annual meetings are organized and sponsored by the Russian News & Information Agency RIA Novosti, the Russian Council for Foreign and Defense Policy (CFDP), Russia Profile and Russia in Global Affairs magazines, and The Moscow News newspaper.
</H1>
So? Who would know better the truth of the Stalin legacy -- Russians, or American liberals?

Who is we?

The Valdai Discussion Club provides a global forum for the world’s leading and best-informed experts on Russia to engage in a sustained dialogue about the country’s political, economic, social and cultural development.
Since 2004, the Club has gathered annually in Russia and has regularly met with the leadership of the Russian Federation, as well as Russian business leaders, media, academics, and political groups. The scope of the meetings has grown year by year, and participants now enjoy unprecedented access to Russia’s top politicians.
This website, which brings together contributions by participants in the Valdai Club meetings, provides a platform for incisive and informed analysis by the world’s leading commentators on the Russian scene.
The Club’s annual meetings are organized and sponsored by the Russian News & Information Agency RIA Novosti, the Russian Council for Foreign and Defense Policy (CFDP), Russia Profile and Russia in Global Affairs magazines, and The Moscow News newspaper.
</H1>
So? Who would know better the truth of the Stalin legacy -- Russians, or American liberals?

What do "American liberals" have to do with this website?

Nothing whatever.

It's a Russian site, not an American site.

Who is we?

</H1>

What do "American liberals" have to do with this website?

Nothing whatever.

It's a Russian site, not an American site.

You're the American liberal, genius. :lol:

Forum List

Back