Why the war in Iraq is wrong

G

Gabriella84

Have you ever seriously thought about it? Or are you blindly accepting the reasons offered by the Bush administration?
Here are some basic misconceptions:

A -- Iraq was somehow involved in the Sept. 11 attacks

**Completely false. Saddam and Osama were always bitter enemies. Saddam was a egocentric psychopath. His life was opulent splendor. Osama is a religious cleric who despised state regimes. Osama has plotted to assassinate Saddam.
The alleged tie between terrorism and Iraq could never have existed while Saddam was in power. He would never have agreed to share to delegate authority to anyone. He cooperated with no one.

B -- Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and was a threat to use them.

**Also false. It is true that Iraq had supplies of dangerous chemicals, such as nerve gas, in the early 90s. Such chemicals had a shelf life of 2-6 months, at the most. So even if found, they would retain zero toxicity. The manufacturing plants were either destroyed in the Gulf War or dismantled after discovery by U.N. inspectors. No other biological or nuclear weapons have ever been found. The reports of such were total fabrication, used to deceive Congress into approving the invasion.

C -- We had to "liberate" Iraq and "preserve freedom."

**Are they liberated now? Whose "freedom" are we preserving? More Iraqi people have died since the invasion than were killed by Saddam. No one is "free" now. The country is basically lawless. If it was stable, we would have no excuse to be there.

D -- Iraq was a threat to the U.S. and other Western countries.

**Laughable. Iraq was only a threat to itself. Saddam was considered a harmless clown by his own allies after the failure of the invasion of Kuwait. His only weapons were the ones that the U.S. sold him, since we considered Iran more of a threat. He was all talk and bluster. Terrorism experts could name at least a dozen other countries that were greater threats.

--So why did the U.S. invade?

To settle a personal grudge. During the Gulf War, Saddam regularly made threats against Daddy Bush. He even talked of assassinating him. Don't think this was forgotten when Son Bush took power. His first cabinet meeting after winning election in 2000 included talk of how to deal with Iraq. During a meeting on Sept. 12, Donald Rumsfeld is on record as stating "Can we use this as a reason to take care of Iraq?"

So this is why 1,700 American soldiers (and counting) have died. To settle a grudge. And to make money, of course.

Mrsxxxxxxsssss twin sister is heeeerrrrrr!!!!!!! :alco:
Sister I'm from a red state and I don't understand what your trying to say, without some PROOF for me to see. You know 50some million of us are to stupid to know who and what we voted for..... So show me the proof! We've heard this now for three yrs, anything new in you vocab..... :dunno:

You are free to do the same reading that I did. Too many people get their facts off TV. I have read both sides. A lot of people don't.

By the way, I know EXACTLY who I voted for. And why.

Let's start with your fact based on this statement alone:

More Iraqi people have died since the invasion than were killed by Saddam.

I'd like to know how we've killed more than 1.5 million people since the invasion. :link:

Gabriella84 said:
You are free to do the same reading that I did. Too many people get their facts off TV. I have read both sides. A lot of people don't.

By the way, I know EXACTLY who I voted for. And why.

Links and PROOF, thanks... :link: Oh and you have inside information that us little people don't??? Don't forget I said 50 plus million voted for the president. So are you still saying we're all uninformed, and your the smarter of us all. :flameth: I'm sure you are, but no matter.

Gabriella84 said:
Have you ever seriously thought about it? Or are you blindly accepting the reasons offered by the Bush administration?

**Completely false. Saddam and Osama were always bitter enemies. Saddam was a egocentric psychopath. His life was opulent splendor. Osama is a religious cleric who despised state regimes. Osama has plotted to assassinate Saddam.
The alleged tie between terrorism and Iraq could never have existed while Saddam was in power. He would never have agreed to share to delegate authority to anyone. He cooperated with no one.Have you ever seriously thought about it? Or are you blindly accepting the reasons offered by the Bush administration?

The alleged tie between terrorism and Iraq could never have existed while Saddam was in power. He would never have agreed to share to delegate authority to anyone. He cooperated with no one.

Typical leftist, elitist dingbat. You're some collegiate know-it-all, aren't you? Before you come onto this board and presume to lecture us, why don't you slow down and do a little reading first. That MIGHT help to prevent your making a total ass of yourself on such a regular basis and at such a spectacular level. Meantime, let me ask you - why do you feel the need to come onto this board and immediately start talking down to the rest of us with your arrogant and idiotic question "Have you ever seriously thought about it?" YES, we seriously think about a LOT of things. And you know what? We were doing it BEFORE you got here to give us your divine guidance. And we'll do it after we run your sorry ass off.

Yes, we ALL know that Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11 except in the very loose sense that they supported terrorism in general. We do not require some self-delusional pseudo intellectual to belabor the obvious for us, thank you very much.

Gabriella84 said:

**Also false. It is true that Iraq had supplies of dangerous chemicals, such as nerve gas, in the early 90s. Such chemicals had a shelf life of 2-6 months, at the most. So even if found, they would retain zero toxicity. The manufacturing plants were either destroyed in the Gulf War or dismantled after discovery by U.N. inspectors. No other biological or nuclear weapons have ever been found. The reports of such were total fabrication, used to deceive Congress into approving the invasion.

Baloney. It is true that SOME chem weapons have a relatively short shelf life, but if you'll pull your head out of the liberal propoganda trough from which you are swilling, you may find some surprising FACTS. Such as:
===============================================

http://www.fas.org/irp/gulf/cia/960715/72569.htm
IRAQ HAS A SIZEABLE CW STOCKPILE, AT LEAST SOME OF WHICH CAN SURVIVE SEVERAL YEARS OF STORAGE.

IRAQ'S MUSTARD, THE CW AGENT MOST USED IN THE WAR WITH IRAN, IS
QUITE STABLE; MUCH OF IT SHOULD REMAIN EFFECTIVE FOR SOME TIME.

THE UNITARY FORM OF IRAQ'S SARIN - ITS PRINCIPAL NERVE AGENT - HAD
A RELATIVELY SHORT SHELF LIFE DURING THE WAR WITH IRAN.

THE IRAQIS HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS PROBLEM:

THEY HAVE TRIED TO INCREASE UNITARY SARIN SHELF LIFE BY IMPROVING
THE PURITY OF THE PRECURSOR CHEMICALS AND REFINING PRODUCTION
PROCESSES.

THEY HAVE DEVELOPED AND TESTED BINARY NERVE AGENT ROUNDS FOR
ARTILLERY SHELLS AND BINARY MISSILE WARHEADS AS WELL.
=================================================

Gabriella84 said:

**Are they liberated now? Whose "freedom" are we preserving? More Iraqi people have died since the invasion than were killed by Saddam. No one is "free" now. The country is basically lawless. If it was stable, we would have no excuse to be there.

Yes, they ARE liberated now - or did you sleep through the elections?. Your statements comparing the death rate pre/post Saddam are ludicrous on their face and reveal you for the left wing propoganda glutton that you are. Apparently you believe that people being tortured and enslaved under a brutal dictator is acceptable so long as he murders fewer numbers than those who are killed by the terrorists and insurgents who are attempting to reinstate his rule. What a wonderful view. Is this the vaunted leftist "compassion". Truth is, like most of your ilk, you have no compassion at all. What masquerades as compassion is simply convenience. You don't want to be bothered and you don't have the intestinal fortitude to change the world for the better. Pathetic.

And yes, the country is not stable. It DOESN'T HAPPEN OVERNIGHT. I suppose that I can't critize you for this, given the fact that you, like most of your self-righteous brethren have extremely short attention spans and probably suffer from ADD as well as mental deficiencies.

Gabriella84 said:

**Laughable. Iraq was only a threat to itself. Saddam was considered a harmless clown by his own allies after the failure of the invasion of Kuwait. His only weapons were the ones that the U.S. sold him, since we considered Iran more of a threat. He was all talk and bluster. Terrorism experts could name at least a dozen other countries that were greater threats.

To settle a personal grudge. During the Gulf War, Saddam regularly made threats against Daddy Bush. He even talked of assassinating him. Don't think this was forgotten when Son Bush took power. His first cabinet meeting after winning election in 2000 included talk of how to deal with Iraq. During a meeting on Sept. 12, Donald Rumsfeld is on record as stating "Can we use this as a reason to take care of Iraq?"

So this is why 1,700 American soldiers (and counting) have died. To settle a grudge. And to make money, of course.

How typical. You assert that Iraq was only a threat to itself. Not only do you appear to be satisfied to allow Saddam to continue butchering his own people, but then you turn right around and mention his invasion of Kuwait. All the while blithely blathering that Saddam was only a threat to himself. Idiot. Had we left Saddam alone, his next target would have been Saudi Arabia. Saddam was a destabilizing influence in the entire region. Saddam's invasion of Kuwait was NOT a failure. It was a spectacular success. Had it not been for the intervention of the US and its allies, Saddam would be sitting on the world's largest oil reserves right now. Don't you read anything that's not approved by Howard Dean? Let's hear it now -----Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And let's talk about this stupid statement - "His only weapons were the ones that the U.S. sold him, since we considered Iran more of a threat." Apparently the Russian tanks, artillery, AK-47s, anti-tank weapons etc etc must have been American equipment is disguise. You lack one of two things, or perhaps both - you are either a congenital liar or you have no intellectual honesty whatever. Either way, you are thoroughly disgusting.

Gabriella84 said:

So this is the best you can do. Come here with no factual information and come to the Kennedyesque conclusion that the war was hatched for some petty personal reason. That our president is such a callous criminal that he would sacrifice the military simply to settle a personal grudge. YOU GOT THAT WRONG TOOTS - that was Clinton who did that.

Please, before you post anything else - drop the assumption that we're a bunch of losers like you who will believe any unsupported, idiotic opinions posted by some wandering leftie who happens to stumble across this board. Save your kool-aid inspired literary efforts for the like-minded vermin which infest the boards at the Democratic Underground and Moveon.org. You'll find a far less hostile reception there.

I do enjoy the common ploy of "asking for proof." I've been through it many times. When you do present a "link" or "proof," someone is quick to jump out and say "more liberal BS!" or "stop quoting the liberal media!"

I no longer fall prey to such ploys. My response is always "you can do the same reading that I do." Which involves research and reading of authors.

I have met Michael Moore. He is a pompous jerk. But his information is usually rigorously annotated, unlike people such as Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity.

I regularly read Al-Jazeera. It's very informative. Their viewpoints are slanted, but no more so than the Fox Network.

Stephanie said:
Mrsxxxxxxsssss twin sister is heeeerrrrrr!!!!!!! :alco:
Sister I'm from a red state and I don't understand what your trying to say, without some PROOF for me to see. You know 50some million of us are to stupid to know who and what we voted for..... So show me the proof! We've heard this now for three yrs, anything new in you vocab..... :dunno:

You beat me to is. I do believe they were separated at birth.

Gabriella84, stick to this: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

At least some of the things on this website are far more believable than what you are writing.

And that is a stretch.

Gabriella84 said:
I do enjoy the common ploy of "asking for proof." I've been through it many times. When you do present a "link" or "proof," someone is quick to jump out and say "more liberal BS!" or "stop quoting the liberal media!"

I no longer fall prey to such ploys. My response is always "you can do the same reading that I do." Which involves research and reading of authors.

I have met Michael Moore. He is a pompous jerk. But his information is usually rigorously annotated, unlike people such as Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity.

I regularly read Al-Jazeera. It's very informative. Their viewpoints are slanted, but no more so than the Fox Network.

Al Jazeera is as slanted as Fox Network.

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read.
:rotflmao:

Gabriella84 said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ah yes. Let's not fall into the trap of supporting your bullshit with facts!!!

That's part of the vast right wing conspiracy.

Obviously, many of you enjoy revisionist history. A lot of people have denounced Arab News Reports as "state run TV." When, if fact, the Fox Network is also state run TV.

It is a well known fact that Saddam slaughtered many Kurdish rebels with poison gas. Lesser known is the fact that Iraq legitimately purchased the gas from the Monsonto Corporation.
Same with the alleged "weapons of mass destruction." Much of it was left over from the Iraq-Iran war, in which Iraq was fully supported by the U.s. government.

When the Taliban joined the Afghan rebels to fight the Soviets in the 1980's, they were trained, financed and armed by the CIA. We tought them numerous terrorist tactics, including how to fly airplanes into buildings. Read the papers and books written by former CIA members.

The "weapons of mass destruction" act has changed considerably since the invasion. Prior to the invasion, speeches by members of the Bush adminstration all included lines such as "We know Iraq has WMD. We know where they are and what they are."
A few months later, the line shifted to "We know Iraq has WMD. But it might take some time to find them."
Recent addresses have stated "Well, we are pretty confident Iraq has WMD. But we might never find them. They are out there, though."

Gabriella84 said:

I suggest you read The Connection by Stephen Hayes. In it, he outlines the cooperation between Saddam's Iraqi regime and OBL's al-Qaeda as far back as 1992. There is plenty of evidence that, while Saddam may not have been in on 9/11, he was actively supportive of al-Qaeda.

Mustard gas, which the Iraqis had a lot of, has a much longer shelf life than 6 months. Not to mention, every credible intelligence service in the world, to include the Brits, French, Russians, and Germans, also believed that Saddam had WMDs. So the argument that WMDs were a trick by Bush to go to war is a credible argument.

Iraq is being stabalized, and is now an infant democracy. Also, your claim that more have died since the invasion than died under Saddam is pretty outlandish. Saddam killed hundreds of thousands, as newly discovered mass graves are revealing.

Let's go over the justifications of war again.

1. WMDs. Already discussed above.
2. 17 UN resolutions. Was the UN ever going to attempt to enforce those resolutions? Should we have just sat and waited it out?
3. Violations of the 1991 Gulf War cease-fire. These violations alone were justification enough to resume combat operations against Iraq.

Bush is not to be faulted for going to war against Iraq. It was clearly justified.

first: :bs1:

second: i have done reading as well and you are :alco:

and C: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...fresh meat ..... will go nicely with fava beans and a nice Chianti :wine:

mr. p recipe please

manu1959 said:
first: :bs1:

second: i have done reading as well and you are :alco:

and C: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...fresh meat ..... will go nicely with fava beans and a nice Chianti :wine:

mr. p recipe please

Sorry Manu. No fresh meat here. This one is so vacuous that it would be like biting into a rice cake. You get 99% air and a few dried out husks - no nutritional value at all.

It's like arguing with someone who says 2+2=5, and then having them launch into a screed about how saying 2+2=4 is just anti-number-5 propaganda.

Gabriella84 said:
Obviously, many of you enjoy revisionist history. A lot of people have denounced Arab News Reports as "state run TV." When, if fact, the Fox Network is also state run TV.

It is a well known fact that Saddam slaughtered many Kurdish rebels with poison gas. Lesser known is the fact that Iraq legitimately purchased the gas from the Monsonto Corporation.
Same with the alleged "weapons of mass destruction." Much of it was left over from the Iraq-Iran war, in which Iraq was fully supported by the U.s. government.

Well, now I'm really confused. Here you claim that WMDs were left over from a war that started in 1980. Which means that they lasted about 23 years. But in another post you claim that chem weapons have a shelf life akin to dew in the desert.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21826&page=1

Gabriella84 said:

**Also false. It is true that Iraq had supplies of dangerous chemicals, such as nerve gas, in the early 90s. Such chemicals had a shelf life of 2-6 months, at the most. So even if found, they would retain zero toxicity.

Perhaps you suffer from a short retention span, or perhaps you simply blurt out whatever crap suits the particular propoganda you're spouting at the moment.

So allow me to give you a well deserved award -

:bsflag:

I also note the deafening silence when I presented factual proof regarding shelf life of chem weapons. Please, don't let your opinions be distorted by facts. It might be more trauma than you can handle.

Forum List

Back