Why the hell am I so nostalgic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Semper Fi, May 13, 2008.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Anybody else hopelessly sentimental to the point where 1 or 2 nights a week is dedicated to listening to old songs and yearning for the past?

2. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Sorry...Cant say I do.

3. Gungnir

Gungnir Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Blue Grass? Celtic? Pre 70s Country? Oldies Rock? 80s Rock? Classical? Big Band? Blues? Jazz?

Yes.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,972
    Old? What is old to you? In my case that would be 50's and 60's and 70's rock and roll. Though I do like pop stuff from the mid and later 80's too.

5. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    I can be a bit more specific. Bit before my time but just recently I've really gotten into Artie Shaw and by that I mean in his big band form. I used to listen to his Gramercy Five because a friend of mine when I was in my teens and at high school had a father who was a jazz fan (introduced me to Dave Brubeck, I did the rest myself) but lately I've discovered his big band form. Great, great music and althought he was at his peak a few years before I was born, I really do enjoy listening to it.

I like listening to 60s and early 70s as well, they were the important years in contemporary music for me.

I think we get nostalgic as we get older and the world becomes more difficult to understand.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Not me. I get less and less nostalgic as time goes by, and oddly, less and less musical. I played flute and piano for years, sang in the choir in school and in church as child and adult...sister plays guitar and flute and is choir director....

I still love the singing but as far as listening to music, I'm just not generally into it anymore. It drives my sister nuts and she thinks I'm abusing my children by not playing "Baby Beluga" continually in the car as we travel, or exposing them to the Beach Boys. I always hated the Beach Boys, anyway.

7. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to be.. Found out there ain't no point in wanting what's gone. Might as well get over it and move on. There'll be more shit to pine over down the road. :)

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I get like that when hearing some old school metal on the radio. none of that woodstock 99 shit. Back when Metal scared your parents and geraldo was out scaring people with satan worshipping, child sacrifice and repressed memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    And the wonderment of the treasures that might be found in Capone's secret vault.....
    And whether or not his nose would ever be the same after getting bashed with a chair by a white supremecist.....

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    ahh geraldo.. the mustache that tried to defy a flying chair.

Can you fathom how many parents were freaked out by the first 0 seconds of Slayer's breakthrough song, Hell Awaits?

join us, join us, join us...

those were the days.