Why the Decline of Marriage in America?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Anachronism, May 19, 2011.

1. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The institution of Marriage has taken a major hit in the United States in the last half century. With the prevelance of divorce, couples living together without being married, and people waiting longer to get married, marriage has apparently lost a lot of its luster for many people.

Why do you think that is? Does it have to do with the de-emphasis on religion; changes in American culture and society; legal issues; or something else alltogether?

2. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    It is a direct result of the de-emphasis of religion/values and the decline of a belief that we are responsible for those around us and not just ourselves only.

3. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I can tell you why I am not getting married again, marriage really only benefits the woman. She gets to show off her expensive engagement ring and brag to her friends and get to feel good about herself by not looking like a slut while the man is stuck paying for all that and losing his freedoms, and god forbid a divorce happens the man loses EVERYTHING, he is lucky to see his kids every other weekend and has to pay out the ass for child support and alimony, with all these odds stacked against the men why would we would want to engage in this risky act of terrorism called marriage? no thank you, at least if you just live with a woman you can just call it quits without spending thousands of dollars of your own money and losing half your possessions while she is out partying with her new boyfriend spending your money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,486
    The government got involved. That's what happened.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It is all Newts fault.

6. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,359
    I think that the decline of marriage can be directly linked to the rise of women's liberation. When women were expected or even forced to be subservient, to not join the workforce, to meekly take abuse, etc. it was easier to keep marriages intact. Men needed women to do the domestic duties, women needed men to earn the money. Now that that isn't necessarily the case, people are more willing to give up on marriages.

7. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Yes to the reasons in your last paragraph, and I will add, popular celebrity influence to those. Also men used to marry for regular sex and women for financial stability and those reasons no longer exist....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  8. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Especially since men have more sex when their single than they do when they are married.

9. Anachronism

Anachronism BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +231
    So basically we're all in agreement that it's mostly the social and cultural changes in America that have brought about the de-emphasis of marriage in this country, right? The prevalance of women in the workforce, the loss of gender roles, the availability of sex outside of a committed relationship, etc.... having lead to these changes.

Ok, then how about this.... Are these changes Good, Bad, or Indifferent to American society, culture, and the country as a whole?

10. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Because marriage has turned into a failure we have seen alot of children grow up in broken homes, so I think thats a bad thing.